Wow... I will never buy a Hifi-Magazine again
Nov 9, 2008 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

smuh

500+ Head-Fier
I am so upset right now about myself and the fact I wasted around 7-8 USD for a Hifi Magazin full of BS. I am talking about the german Hifi Mag "Stereo" and I normally try to stay away from thos mags that review "hardware". Well in the 12/2008 issue they tested different programs for CD ripping and they claim that they all sound different. I tested EAC (which did not sound too go to them) and one of their top performers... and guess what, the WAV files both programs extract is exactly the same if I can trust the tool I used to compare the files.

Then on page 74 they test different network cables and they are not testing them for transfer speed or try to make interconnects out of them, no they simply use different network cables to hook their computers and jukeboxes up to the router/switch/whatever and claim they can hear a difference. Of course the higher priced Oehlbach/Sommercable/Monstercable cables sound much better then the 5 Euro cords you find everywhere.

Sorry, I heard a lot of BS in the world of hifi, but this is just insane and pure nonsense. Maybe I should start replacing network calbes at work, so the numbers in Excel look better and it is easier to read E-Mails...

Oh my...

André

Nov 9, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course the higher priced Oehlbach/Sommercable/Monstercable cables sound much better then the 5 Euro cords you find everywhere.

Go post that section in sound science, lots of people will support or not support this statement
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go post that section in sound science, lots of people will support or not support this statement
wink.gif

Haha, I know, I followed the discussion about USB cables which almost gave me a hea(r)t attack.
angry_face.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Haha, I know, I followed the discussion about USB cables which almost gave me a heat attack.

it's almost bad as people advocating "organic" hormone replacement therapies versus chemically derived (FDA approved and controlled) HRTs. It makes me have a stroke every time too. I know few dozen people who want to lock Susan Summers up for massive misinformation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O dear, don't do it!

Dave

heh.

Nov 9, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 42
People are also wound up with the error correction ripping, I think they are only needed for cds that are scrathed. I use normal ripping with no error correction, and full paranoia mode that takes 3-4times longer, also CDex seem to have some jitter meter, which stays at 0 for me. In the end, both of the wav files came out exactly the same.

Nov 9, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 42
It might be mad, but there is nothing you can say really. They'll keep believing it! Sending data over some medium and having it reach in a different state is a massive problem--one that's been solved already.

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 42
Nice to hear!
Cause I am sur eyou have better things spending your money on...
tongue.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to hear!
tongue.gif

like saving up for a pair of ESW10s
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to hear!
tongue.gif

Well, I tried to avoid head-fi for quite some time, which was a good idea considering my wallet. Since I browse the forum on a daily basis again I bought a new CDP, AMP, two sets of cans and now about to pull the trigger on a DAC.

... damn!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #11 of 42
"Bits is bits," eh? Well, I guess I'll just have to disagree.

My dealer recently offered me a FANTASTIC deal on an audiophile-grade USB cable manufactured from a critical blend of silver, rhodium, gold and platinum with hand-drawn teflon insulation. It was cryoed at -462 degrees Fahrenheit (that's right, two degrees **below** absolute zero) for over six months. And the best part? it was only $5,600.00 for a 3 foot length (or two 3 foot lengths for only $11,995)!

The minute I put it into my system my jaw hit the floor: the difference was NOT subtle. It was as if a veil had been lifted and layers of grunge had been peeled away--almost as if the musicians were actually present in the room!

I like to think of myself as a fairly down-to-earth, sober, sceptical type, though. So I thought I'd hook the new cable up to my computer just to see if it made any difference.

I tried the mouse first. I was struck by how much smoother and more accurate the movements were. They had an almost indescribable elegance to them that the old USB cable simply couldn't match. The fluidity was positively intoxicating.

Connecting the cable to the keyboard, I was immediately struck by how much faster I could type, and how much better the letters looked on the screen. The contrast was improved, and the definition of the serifs was greatly enhanced. But then I noticed my writing was clearer, more articulate, more concise, and had fewer spelling mistakes. I was sold.

I now plan on replacing all my USB cables with "audiophile quality" USB cables. I'm just so glad I have one of those "cost plus" contracts with the Defense Department!

EK

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #13 of 42
I haven't totally written off audio magazines yet. I was surfing reviews of Esoteric (TEAC) DACs and noticed the Stereophile reviewer tried both a $5 cheapie and Monster rip-off Firewire/iLink cable and noticed no difference. I'm not going to use hi-fi mags to decide on equipment though.

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Well, I tried to avoid head-fi for quite some time, which was a good idea considering my wallet. Since I browse the forum on a daily basis again I bought a new CDP, AMP, two sets of cans and now about to pull the trigger on a DAC.

... damn!
smily_headphones1.gif

You're cursed! Like the rest of us...
devil_face.gif

Regarding Magazines, I really enjoy the Norwegian High-End magazine Fidelity.
Well written tests, interesting products from cheap to very expensive, and much more.
Fidelity - Skandinavisk Hi-Fi blad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back