Wow, I miss speakers,
Apr 13, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #34 of 52
I've been using various 2 channel set-ups (all vintage stuff.......like me
biggrin.gif
) almost exclusively for the past few months, ever since I converted the basement into an audio/home theater room. Headphones have definitely taken a back seat.
frown.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #35 of 52
Merlin TSM-MX speakers with Melody/Audiopax amplification. Very pleased with the results.

Apr 13, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by FJ12
Deffinately not a sub man either, I find it colours the music, subs are for movies only in my opinion, my speakers produce enough bass for me, infact i often put foam in the rear firing ports at night or during particularily bass orientated music,

However I have only a small room, with some KEF iQ3 standmounts hooked upto a 95WPC NAD amp, hense the headphones :)

I think the reason most people feel subs color the music is because most system/room combinations are not setup to adjust for all the frequency and timing issues that lower frequencies cause. If you are relying solely on a floorstander or using a sub without timing and frequency correction you are almost always getting low frequencies arriving at you with frequency response issues and hitting your ears at a time when they are not supposed to. If you think about it, why should a sub be coloring music if it is simply reproducing low frequencies that are in the music? Wouldn't restricting those frequencies be coloring the music? Do you EQ out those frequencies when listening to headphones?

There is only one sub setup that I have found can do this properly.... corner load subs coupled with advanced room correction. Unlike most subs, the TACT w210 corner load subs can handle frequencies as high as 800HZ, which allows me to set the sub/main crossover at 250Hz with the Epiphany 12-12s. Coupled with the TACT RCS2.2.X, the result of proper time alignment and EQing of low frequencies (and not just sub 80Hz frequencies) is seamless integration between the mains and the subs, especially in the time domain. Not even my Velodyne DD-15 could do what the TACT corner load subs do in a 2 channel setup.

If you simply prefer not to hear the lower frequencies, that is certainly an understandable preference, That being said, I don't think it has anything to do with coloration as much as it does with the fact that the setup you are using simply runs into the problems that virtually every system has with low frequencies.

Apr 13, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #37 of 52
Subs only color the music when you want them to.

Subs dont color music.............people do
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
Hey tkam, have you found the Prologue Six monoblocs to be a significant upgrade from the Prologue One integrated?

Hey,

They have been a really substantial upgrade, across the board they are much better. Soundstage, imaging, bass, midrange, resolution, etc, etc are vastly improved from the Prologue One which is certainly a fine amp in its own right but it really is lacking in direct comparison to the Prologue Six.

Apr 13, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #39 of 52
Try out the Dali Ikon series too. Supposedly they inherit some good stuff from the higher range Helicon. They're not very attractive though

Definitely speaker person here. I take my lowly EPOS over my RS-1 anyday
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #40 of 52
yes I listen to my 2 channel setup more than 1/2 of the time. some consider paradigm speakers mid-fi but I prefer it in my carefully tuned listening room over 70% of the $20k+ setups I heard at audio shows.

I also find source/Dac/amp comparisons to have much more impact on speakers than on headphones.

For intimacy, and detail, headphone still rules.
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Hey,

They have been a really substantial upgrade, across the board they are much better. Soundstage, imaging, bass, midrange, resolution, etc, etc are vastly improved from the Prologue One which is certainly a fine amp in its own right but it really is lacking in direct comparison to the Prologue Six.

Cool. What are you using as your preamp in this setup?

Apr 13, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #43 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocktboy
yes
For intimacy, and detail, headphone still rules.
tongue.gif

I Completely agree here..
(Am among those whom do not have the $100 K to drop on an OK sounding hifi setup with speakers..)

furthermore, my house/room is not set up for an audiophile sys properly with regards to acoustics and "escaping Dynamics" in the stereo/3D Image..

Apr 15, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
I Completely agree here..
(Am among those whom do not have the $100 K to drop on an OK sounding hifi setup with speakers..)

furthermore, my house/room is not set up for an audiophile sys properly with regards to acoustics and "escaping Dynamics" in the stereo/3D Image..

Since when do you need $100K for an OK setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back