Wow, I miss speakers,
Apr 12, 2006 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
so, lately Ive been listening to some two channel music via speakers and forgot how good music can sound through a meager set of speakers.

Im a big sound stage fan, and there is just something with speakers that can create a sound stage outside in front of you similar to real performances. Something that headphones can not replicate.

impact of the subwoofer and a sound stage in front of you even with entry bookshelf speakers can create a very satisfying listening experience
smily_headphones1.gif

I use omni speakers so the sound radiates all about the speakers, its quite a listening experience.

I hope Im not venturing the topic of taboo,

but I was wondering if there were any two channel speaker listeners here?
If so what speakers are you guys using?

Apr 12, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
but I was wondering if there were any two channel speaker listeners here?
If so what speakers are you guys using?

You are asking this on an audio forum
wink.gif

My Dad's 2-channel rig has Dali Euphonia MS5s... i might of had some influence in that decision
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 52
Tyler Acoustic Linbrook Signature Monitors driven by PrimaLuna ProLogue Six monoblocs. Fantastic sound I've been listening to it more than my headphone setup lately.

Apr 12, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 52
I simply cannot listen to headphones for pleasure anymore. I only use them when it's absolutely necessary at late night, and when I'm using them for studio/monitoring purposes.

I love my speakers, and I feel they're the only true way to EXPERIENCE your music. I don't care what people say; headphones can only do a few things that speakers can't, but the good outweighs the null in this case!

My speaker setup is in my signature below. I'm not a believer in subwoofers, though, so you won't see one in there.

Apr 12, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 52
Ah..
I have a fairly small room with a thin wallet, so I wouldnt be able to fit floorstanders or at least not the big heavy ones.

bookshelfs is all that I can fit in the room and if that Id rather use small speakers that can be wall mounted.

The speaker set up is used more for leisure movie watching. I live with other people in the house, so rarely use the the speakers for optimum enjoyment.
and the subwoofer has to be turned off half the time.

I suppose this is where headphones come in.

I was watching smallville during most of season two on my laptop and microstack because I needed to replace the bulb in my regular display.

I havent used the speakers for music in almost a year, so the other night I connected the itunes airport to my surround receiver.

however I wasnt using anything as good as Dahli speakers
smily_headphones1.gif
, But Im still happy with what I use and enjoy it.

Apr 12, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 52
You know I'm a big speaker fan Myo. I am very fortunate to own a pair of line arrays designed by Rick Craig. You can find his site here: www.selahaudio.com . I did a bit of research on Audio Asylum before contacting him, and he was the most recommended DIY array builder that I could find. Arrays, for anyone that doesn't know, is a speaker that has multiple identical drivers lined up and each driver is responsible for small part of the reproduction. Anyone used to a headphones soundstage will be quite impressed by a pair of line arrays.

Rick sells kits, so you buy the parts from him and assemble the Xover and cabinets yourself. He also sells them assembled if you have the $$ for it. Rick designed the speaker to my budget, each includes 6 Vifa mids and a 3 foot tall Newform Research ribbon driver. Building the cabinet is quite a bit of work, and unless you have a lot of free time it will take quite a while to build. The sound is quite good, I don't plan on upgrading for a long long time. I had to sell my home theater to finance the line arrays, but it was worth it.

As you can see from my sig I have a second smaller rig for the computer. My goal is to keep from wasting much money in this second system. I got a new pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s for a nice price which are suprisingly good. I knew what I could expect from a nice small set of speakers (I've owned Missions, Bluerooms and Eosones), and these perform better than their price suggests. One pet peeve I have is the binding posts. They're of nice quality, but the way they are angled and staggered on the back is pretty annoying if you'd be using a beefy speaker cable with spades. Note that they also use oversized spades. Also a speaker of this size being biwired is an act of pointlessness IMO.

Apr 12, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 52
Bryan,
those are gorgeous speakers.
very nice,

regarding subwoofers, why would they be bad?
unless the speaker can replicate 20khz to 20hz, I think a subwoofer would help. it ads weight and dimension to the sound stage. And the slight oomph in low end presence it provides, makes it sound closer to live performances and concerts
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone familiar with the buttkicker? they had one on display at frys and it was the first time Ive got to try it out. I was considering installing one to the leg of my bed, so it shakes during the films
smily_headphones1.gif
and help me cope with the subwoofer having to be turned down.
tongue.gif

Apr 12, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 52
Epiphany 12-12's and TACT W210 corner load subs. The combination never ceases to amaze me. Eggleston Andra IIs. Not as dramatic as the 12-12s, but equally enjoyable. My SDS-XLR gets seriously neglected.
Resized_DSC00879.jpg
DSC00883.jpg

Apr 12, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #10 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Tyler Acoustic Linbrook Signature Monitors driven by PrimaLuna ProLogue Six monoblocs. Fantastic sound I've been listening to it more than my headphone setup lately.

Wow, I almost bought a pair of those exact speakers from Tyler about a year ago. He is a very cool guy ... he gets great reviews on Audiogon. My two channel project is on hold right now, but I heard they are great for the money.

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #12 of 52
I listen almost exclusively to 2 channel, now. Currently using my mbow1 designed by Dennis Murphy. I still have my Visaton B200 full range drivers in dipole config mounted in my room's corners. Last but not least, I dropped $1300 on a speaker kit that hopefully will arrive in a week and with any luck, by the weekend after Easter, I'll be able to have that assembled and ready to go.

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #13 of 52
Hey RNB, I am currently only using headphones because I'm in a dorm and don't have enough space for the speaker setup I want. Like your recent experience in your post, I recently re-setup my old multimedia/PC speaker rig (Edifier S2.1) and like you I was really pleasantly reminded of how nice it is to listen to music without having something on your head.

I am going to graduate in about a month and afterwards I'm gonna sell my MPX3 SLAM and get a good 2-channel speaker rig for my apartment. I already have everything picked out, got a used Unison Research Unico integrated off of Audiogon that will be fed by my Bel Canto DAC2 and that will be powering some Zu Druids. I'll post some pics and impressions when I get that rig setup sometime in mid-June, but after that that may be the last people hear of me on Headfi...

Apr 12, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
I have a fairly small room with a thin wallet, so I wouldnt be able to fit floorstanders or at least not the big heavy ones.

bookshelfs is all that I can fit in the room and if that Id rather use small speakers that can be wall mounted.

Note that unless specifically designed for wall placement, most speakers image better when pulled away from the wall. Stands also benefit most small speakers, with the tweeter somewhere close to ear level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back