Wow, I miss speakers,
Apr 12, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #16 of 52
Martin Logan Summits... 'nuff said.

Will post pics soon...

Slee - super nice system!

Apr 12, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #17 of 52
I absolutely adore my B&W 705 hooked up to my ROTEL RC-03 and RB-03 preamp/amp combi over a bel canto DAC2 source.

Nonetheless I feel like I want to try out headphones, and I feel like with the correct setup that I could "beat" (I have yet to define in what aspects, seemingly not in soundstaging
smily_headphones1.gif
) my current speaker setup, as the price/performance ratio with cans is just unbeatable.

However I don't have a lot of experience with headphones. But yea, I wouldn't want to sell those speakers, especially now that I integrated them into a 5.1 setup as well.

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #18 of 52
I own a pair of Amphion Xenons (silver). Bought them last Christmas and I've been very happy with them. I also have an Infinity Kappa subwoofer (cherry) to support the Xenons, though, they could do quite well without a subwoofer. I actually bought the subwoofer for my earlier speakers which were Amphion's cheapest speakers, the Helium2s (also silver). At some point I'll upgrade the subwoofer to Amphions own Impact 500. Amphion is a Finnish company so their speakers are quite inexpensive here in Finland but I've heard that they can cost quite much in the US.
I prefer speakers, though, headphones do have their advantages. Both speakers and headphones are two very different ways of listening to music and so I use both. I once preferred headphones but now that I actually have a good pair of speakers I rather listen with speakers. But it's true that you have to invest thousands of euros/dollars to a pair of speakers to get as good sound quality as you can get with a pair of headphones which cost around $500 (you probably need to spend some money on the amplifiers too).
Currently I listen to music with speakers about 70% of the time and 30% of the time with headphones.

Apr 12, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
You know I'm a big speaker fan Myo. I am very fortunate to own a pair of line arrays designed by Rick Craig. You can find his site here: www.selahaudio.com . I did a bit of research on Audio Asylum before contacting him, and he was the most recommended DIY array builder that I could find. Arrays, for anyone that doesn't know, is a speaker that has multiple identical drivers lined up and each driver is responsible for small part of the reproduction. Anyone used to a headphones soundstage will be quite impressed by a pair of line arrays.

Wow, this guy is right down the road from me and I never knew it until I read your post. From the pictures and specs, those speakers look outstanding. I'm hoping to put together a speaker rig this year and I'll definitely have to stop buy and see if I can audition some of this Rick's stuff.

Apr 12, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #20 of 52
My home theater has Ascend CMT-340s and an HSU STF1. Not high-end, but easilly the best all-purpose music rig I have. I can spend a whole weeked listening to them, which is impossible for me with headphones for many reasons
smily_headphones1.gif

I also recently picked up a sweet deal on some B-Stock Onix RS250MKIIs which I am using with my computer, and as of yesterday, driven by a Dared MP-5. A very different sound, but thus far very fun and intriguing.

slippery slope...

Apr 12, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
so, lately Ive been listening to some two channel music via speakers and forgot how good music can sound through a meager set of speakers.

Im a big sound stage fan, and there is just something with speakers that can create a sound stage outside in front of you similar to real performances. Something that headphones can not replicate.

impact of the subwoofer and a sound stage in front of you even with entry bookshelf speakers can create a very satisfying listening experience
smily_headphones1.gif

I use omni speakers so the sound radiates all about the speakers, its quite a listening experience.

I hope Im not venturing the topic of taboo,

but I was wondering if there were any two channel speaker listeners here?
If so what speakers are you guys using?

Hey Myo,
I have the Merlin VSM-MM as my main speakers which are famous for the soundstage they can throw.

The surprise is these little speakers from Hyperion, the HWS-586.
I hooked these up and did the classic double take, What??
These little guys sounded huge! Image and soundstage kept up with the Merlins, I was shocked. The website picture doesn't do them justice either, the cabinets are a beautiful dark reddish tinted wood, with a very glossy smooth finish.
The best part?
$600 for the pair
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Elite
I own a pair of Amphion Xenons (silver). Bought them last Christmas and I've been very happy with them. I also have an Infinity Kappa subwoofer (cherry) to support the Xenons, though, they could do quite well without a subwoofer. I actually bought the subwoofer for my earlier speakers which were Amphion's cheapest speakers, the Helium2s (also silver). At some point I'll upgrade the subwoofer to Amphions own Impact 500. Amphion is a Finnish company so their speakers are quite inexpensive here in Finland but I've heard that they can cost quite much in the US.
I prefer speakers, though, headphones do have their advantages. Both speakers and headphones are two very different ways of listening to music and so I use both. I once preferred headphones but now that I actually have a good pair of speakers I rather listen with speakers. But it's true that you have to invest thousands of euros/dollars to a pair of speakers to get as good sound quality as you can get with a pair of headphones which cost around $500 (you probably need to spend some money on the amplifiers too).
Currently I listen to music with speakers about 70% of the time and 30% of the time with headphones.

A pair of black Amphion Xenons here
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Hey Myo,
I have the Merlin VSM-MM as my main speakers which are famous for the soundstage they can throw.

I didn't end up going with the VSM, but based on my great ownership experience with the TSM-MXs, I ended up buying 5 Eggleston Andra IIs, which use similar drivers... especially that superb tweeter.

Apr 12, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Tyler Acoustic Linbrook Signature Monitors driven by PrimaLuna ProLogue Six monoblocs. Fantastic sound I've been listening to it more than my headphone setup lately.

Hey tkam, have you found the Prologue Six monoblocs to be a significant upgrade from the Prologue One integrated?

Apr 12, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I simply cannot listen to headphones for pleasure anymore. I only use them when it's absolutely necessary at late night, and when I'm using them for studio/monitoring purposes.

Absolutely agree. Iwas about to say exacty the same thing.

Apr 12, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Hey Myo,

The surprise is these little speakers from Hyperion, the HWS-586.
I hooked these up and did the classic double take, What??
These little guys sounded huge! Image and soundstage kept up with the Merlins, I was shocked. The website picture doesn't do them justice either, the cabinets are a beautiful dark reddish tinted wood, with a very glossy smooth finish.
The best part?
$600 for the pair
biggrin.gif

Those look a lot like my Odyssey Epiphonyies. They're also known for their huge soundstage and great imaging. I wonder how they compare.

how do the 586 compare to the vsm-mm in other areas besides soundstage?

Apr 13, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by yo2tup2
Those look a lot like my Odyssey Epiphonyies. They're also known for their huge soundstage and great imaging. I wonder how they compare.

how do the 586 compare to the vsm-mm in other areas besides soundstage?

We're talking $600 vs. $8200 so you really can't compare them at all. The VSM stomps on them as expected.

All I was saying is they are a great little speaker that throws a huge soundstage and sound like they would cost more than they actually do. I felt they would be a suitable speaker for the original poster.

Apr 13, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #28 of 52
Hey todd,
When I was looking for some bookshelf speakers for my home theater I went around listening to some speakers i.e. tannoy, def tech, mirage, totem, b&w, energy, nht and a few others. But I have listened to the more unique companies mentioned here.

Ive found that the sonic performances between speakers in the sub 500-600 dollar range yielded similar levels of fidelity.

The only speaker that stood out to me were the mirage omni speakers, this was largely due to their design with sound dispersion. The omni bookshelfs created a stunning holographic sound that was huge. Out of all the speakers I listened to in the same price range, the mirage omnis were the most different sounding. And excell excellently for home theater. they make very good ambience replication and immersive surround field, mainly because the dispersion of sound waves are so huge, these are not like direct radiating speakers

Apr 13, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #29 of 52
Deffinately not a sub man either, I find it colours the music, subs are for movies only in my opinion, my speakers produce enough bass for me, infact i often put foam in the rear firing ports at night or during particularily bass orientated music,

However I have only a small room, with some KEF iQ3 standmounts hooked upto a 95WPC NAD amp, hense the headphones :)

Apr 13, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #30 of 52
Another Dali person here too. Suite 1.5.

Currently in the process of aquiring some drivers (they're out of stock) to build some horn speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back