Wow, finally got them (HD480 mkII)
Jun 5, 2006 at 10:50 AM Post #16 of 55
My HD480-11's have just arrived.

Fantastic condition they look like new, came in original box. Strange cable though, I presume it can't be original. It has the senn conectors & wires then after about six inches it goes into a little unit then the cable goes into a curly wurly. It looks professionally done. Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to stretch it because it requires me to listen about 3ft away from my amp! My version are the HD 480-11 9K. The HD650 cable or Cardas will not fit, the connector plugs on the HD480-11 are visibly larger, same type of connector though.

On the instruction manual, well make that instruction page it states,

HD480-11 9K = 600ohms
HD480-Classic11 9K = 250ohms
HD560 ovation11 9K = 300ohms.

It also says,

Dynamic stereo headphone for connection to the headphone test bars HTV 2009 & HTV 2009-1.

Please see instruction for use of the standard version as technical data are identical. HD 9K models only differ from standard versions in their nominal impedance. Used at the test bar, these headphones are equally loud, better comparison.

>

Any thoughts sgrossklass?

Best

Nigel

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #18 of 55
So there we have a third version, the "9K". Got a pic of the cable? The description reminds me of the cable my HD420SL studio version came with - this had a coiled part and such a round ratchetty thing to do length adjustments. Wait a second, I'll take a photo...

That the newer cable does not fit isn't surprising (the HD580 and later the HD5x5 series were the first models to use the newer gold-plated connectors), but the '480 II (2, not 11) should be compatible with cables for all the older models, notably the 37974 and 48798 cables.

@Daroid: Good find. My '420SL had exactly the same type of clumsy top-mounted cable, so apparently this was a -9K version, too. Bought these on eBay, the guy had at least 4 of them (unused).

Jun 5, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #19 of 55
Well the seller told me that mine only have "HD480 II" written on them.
Assuming I recieve them 2moro, and I only get the sealed packet (no instructions/box) how can I tell which version they are?

IIRC my original '93 HD480II's were very easy to dissemble in case i needed new pads/wire etc....would it be printed on the drive units themselves?

(i'll give 'em a go on the x-cans first...they may turn out to be 9k or 600ohm ones after all).

Jun 5, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaffer74
Well the seller told me that mine only have "HD480 II" written on them.
Assuming I recieve them 2moro, and I only get the sealed packet (no instructions/box) how can I tell which version they are?

Since your cans don't have the funky top-mounted cable setup (I should reattach this to the '420SL and take a head shot one of these days, just for grins), they aren't a -9K. The easiest way to determine driver impedance is using a multimeter, a cheapie 3-1/2 digit thing will do just fine. (Mine cost like <10€ a few years ago and reads less than 1% low for resistance measurements.) Measure from sleeve to ring or tip, the value should be quite close to one of the specified ones. (HD420SL and HD430 drivers read around 580 ohms, HD540 drivers even a bit above 610 ohms.)

Jun 5, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #23 of 55
A multimeter...of course! (silly me
redface.gif
, I completely forgot about using one of those)
Thanx. Will do. Be interesting to see what they are after all
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #24 of 55
Hi Pinkie,

I've not listened to them yet! Only jesting. Well, initial impressions, shut in soundstage, Senn veiled & more so. Badly lacking at frequency extremes. However, they do possess a certain kind of rightness, offering musical communication. Very comfortable. At the moment they don't come close to the HD650's, after all the political ********, dynamic headphone wise does anything? I need more time to suss out these headphones, I've just come in from the public house and I fancy some Yes on the HD480's for some reason. Yes, I know I'm some kind of musical pervert.

Bestest wishes,

Nigel

Jun 6, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #25 of 55
I'd say provided yours "look like" new, they probably are unused, too. My initial impressions of HD420SLs weren't too dissimilar. These old 600 ohm drivers need a thorough break-in.

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel
I'll give them some serious burning in time then & see how they go.

They're probably "burnt out" which is why they sound so bad
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:34 AM Post #29 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel
Badly lacking at frequency extremes.

Try modding the pads (serious) My recently acquired HD-414 sounded a bit thin @ the extremes but they now sound full and smooth through the spectrum thanks to some HD-25 pads I cobbled onto them. Oh yes, pads make a BIG difference to these 'phones and experimentation here is essential Nigel. You'll notice if you press the 'phones onto your ears that the bass improves yes? Now what you're looking to do is to pad these puppies so the pads cover your ears in much the same way the HD-650 pads do..... this should improve things a lot.

Mikee

DSCF4810.jpg

DSCF4819.jpg

With HD-25 pads:

414.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back