Wow, finally got them (HD480 mkII)
Jun 3, 2006 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

Gaffer74

New Head-Fier
I've had many 'phones over the years.
First one something like Sony MD-V1 or something.
Aiwa 17mm in-ear ones (amazing bass), Panny 16mm in-ear ones.
Sennheiser HD480II's
Sennheiser HD575's (too screechy re:treble for me)
Sony MDR-EX71slw (ditto screechy treble)
Sennheiser PX100's (fantastic)
Sennhesier CX300's (just arrived)

Without a doubt, the best set I have EVER heard (with a sound I remember to this day) was the HD480II's. Superb in every area (bass, midrange, treble, timing, soundstage etc etc).

GUESS WHAT I JUST BOUGHT:
Dscf3305.jpg

580smile.gif
orphsmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Original NOS factory sealed, ex-BBC broadcast monitor cans (I'm so happy, I feel like crying).
36_1_44.gif

Can't wait for delivery
36_1_21.gif

Jun 3, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 55
BBC monitoring you say? Reportedly the 1.7 kOhm (!) "UK" version was made just for that. (Incidentally, a user manual in PDF format for the high-impedance 450 IIs and 480 IIs - versions -13, 600 ohm, and -UK, 1.7kOhm - are still available.) I guess it still sounds good (if anything, probably rather better than the stock 480 II with its 52 ohm drivers), but don't be too surprised if you need to jack up the volume very high.

I personally wouldn't mind a 600 ohm 480-13 (II) myself, but it's not too high on the agenda right now (and these seem to be pretty rare, too).

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #3 of 55
Well these are ex-bbc stock.
I have a headphone amp (x-cans) so the volume won't be a problem if needed (I don't tend to listen too loud anyway).

Thanx for the info re:manuals. Do you know where I can download one from? The cans are sealed, but that's all I get..no box or manuals.

Cheers
Gaffer

Jun 4, 2006 at 11:02 AM Post #4 of 55
Hi,

Where did you get them from?

I just won myself a pair on Ebay, 480-11's, hopefully the 600ohm version. I've always wanted to try a pair & see how they sounded.

It's always surprised me that some musicians still use these 'phones with so many new models to choose from, Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull being an example.

Also, there was a review in a UK hi-fi mag called Audiophile around 1991, I still have the magazine, where Jonathon Kettle the writer, considered they held up nicely against some very distinguised company & that wasn't the mk. 2's which are presumably better still.

See the start of this thread,

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=hd480

Best,

Nigel

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 55
Hi Nigel.
I just got mine from E-bay too.
Hopefully I'll recieve them on Tuesday.
Got them for considerably less than from this---> ex-bbc stock site which has them for circa £86 inc. shipping
eek.gif
http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/it...6_2009001.aspx

There's a paltry leaflet on that site, but no full manual (I seem to remember my old pair came with a 4/5 page manual
confused.gif
)

I think they must be 1700 ohm ones as they are specifically UK/BBC stock (I don't mind, seeing as I think all UK models were 1700 ohm anyway, so my original "shop bought" mkII's back in '93 were probably 1700 ohm too
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jun 4, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaffer74
I think they must be 1700 ohm ones as they are specifically UK/BBC stock (I don't mind, seeing as I think all UK models were 1700 ohm anyway, so my original "shop bought" mkII's back in '93 were probably 1700 ohm too
smily_headphones1.gif
)

No, a bog-standard '480 II would have been equipped with 52 ohm drivers. The HD480-13 II was the 600 ohm model, and the 1.7 kOhm one made for BBC monitoring was called HD480-13 II UK. (The -13 suffix signifies a high-impedance model, a HD25-13 with IIRC 600 ohm drivers also exists/existed, for example.) BTW, PinkFloyd wrote that his X-Can v3 didn't do well driving 600 ohm HD414s (HD414Xs presumably).

HD450/480-13 II (UK) manual - this is the same "paltry leaflet" though. It's quite possible that the HD480 II manual was more wordy, like the one for the HD442 II that can still be found online.

Jun 4, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 55
Aaaah, thanx for that.
I guess I've got the HD450/480-13 II (UK) one then.
(I did e-mail the seller and ask, but he could only guess, going by the headphones alone).
The ones I bought in '93 had a small 3.5mm jack with a supplied 1/4" jack adapter, but these have a 1/4" jack adapter as standard with no 'downsize' adapter (no problem with the amp and probably better SQ not having to go through extra connections as well).

Will the higher "Ohmage" of these be a problem with a headphone amp like the X-Cans v1 then? Power output of the amp = 100mW into 40 Ohm (>100mW for loads >40 Ohm)

PS if it is a problem, i'd rather buy a new amp then sell the HD480II's
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 55
Hopefully there won't be a problem. I have Beyer DT990's, the 600ohms version circa late eighties & can easy drive them from my headphone amp, especially from a CD source. On vinyl the amp has to be cranked up to 2 o'clock to match the HD650's volume at 12 o'clock. I paid £29 for mine & I think they could be the same pair that went for £27 is this auction,

http://cgi.ebay.ie/sennheiser-hd480-...QQcmdZViewItem

So, if they don't meet with satisfaction I hope I'll be fortunate enough not to be too out of pocket.

Best,

Nigel

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 55
I'd try the amp first. If you don't get a high enough volume out of it, you can still buy something else. (If you're reasonably handy with a soldering iron, a BTech BT928 with a few small mods and another PSU would be a decent choice.)

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
I'd try the amp first. If you don't get a high enough volume out of it, you can still buy something else. (If you're reasonably handy with a soldering iron, a BTech BT928 with a few small mods and another PSU would be a decent choice.)

Well I was tempted to replace the caps and op-amps folloeing articles at rock grotto...but don't know if this'll make it louder.
You're right, I'll wait and see first.

Nigel...are you the same Nigel that had his X-Cans v1 modded on the site? I'm not that handy with a soldering iron.....

My DIY skills ----->
phr0033l.jpg
phr0034l.jpg

so was considering paying for him to do it for me , if he offers the service
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 55
Yes, I had my old X-Cans modded by the legendary Pinkie. Capacitors & Mullard valves etc. It won't give it anymore power though. I wouldn't worry if CD is your source, it should go plenty loud enough. Wait & see. Let's hope you like your 'phones. I'm hoping they have the same integrated sound as my pmx100's. I guess it's hoping too much that they will come close to the HD650's but if they beat the AKG K1000's, Stax Lambda Signatures & Sony MDR R-10's in the opinions of the review author you just never know! Considering they were What Hi-Fi's award winners for a good few years there seems remarkably little internet presence concerning the HD480's.

Jun 4, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #12 of 55
I always thought the Hd450/HD480 was one of Sennheiser's greatest looking cans, nothing too fancy, and still very solid.... guees i need to try one some day :) .... there's a post somewhere in Todd's forum about these also...

What did these retail for back in the days ?

Jun 4, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaffer74
Will the higher "Ohmage" of these be a problem with a headphone amp like the X-Cans v1 then? Power output of the amp = 100mW into 40 Ohm (>100mW for loads >40 Ohm)

I think it will be a problem, yes. If your 'phones "are" 1700ohms then the V1 will struggle I think. It will drive them but will not be ballsy enough to drive them to their best potential. The V1 won't even look at my HD-414 (600ohm version) and it has to be cranked up to 90 of its Volco to get anything decent out of them. Similarly the 1000mW (1 watt) X-CAN V3 struggles to drive them well. It's a case of suck it and see, you may be lucky and the V1 will drive 1700ohm very well but, I doubt it somehow.

Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back