Wow Dave Mathews Band!!... please recommend
Jun 13, 2007 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
Wow.... is all I can say. I borrowed my wifes CD and am very impressed. hardly my style of music, but I find his percussive / layered style of instrumental arrangements very enjoyable. Superb material for the RS1.
rs1smile.gif

What CDs do you all recommend? Please feel free to recommend any live recordings too.

Thanks in advance

Jun 13, 2007 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 21
I've always loved Dave Matthew's solo work.
The song 'Gravedigger' always seems to be on heavy rotation in my playlist.

Jun 13, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 21
Live in Central Park (best one to start with, IMO)
Live in Luther College (some nice acoustic work by Tim Reynolds here)

The studio albums aren't as good as the live work. They are amazing live. I caught them a few weeks ago in London and it was one of the best show's I've attended. His solo album is pretty decent too; I haven't listened to it for a while but I think it's mastered pretty well. My favourite studio albums are Behind These Crowded Streets and Busted Stuff.

They also allow taping at their shows so there are loads of good tracks you can download legally.
http://nancies.org/boards/showthread...page=151&pp=15

Jun 13, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 21
The Recently EP is my favorite of his commercial discs, because it captures the energy and power from early shows that was abandoned to be more college pop friendly. Halloween is an amazing thing. And if you can find them, recordings from 92/93. I was picking DMB shows over grateful dead and phish shows in 92 and 93.

Jun 13, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 21
I like Some Devil a lot. It's darker and more inward than his other stuff; very well recorded. I am not that much of a fan, however this one is really good to my ears from first to last track.

Jun 13, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 21
I am not a fan of Dave Matthews Band at all, but I must say that Carter Beauford (sp?) is an unbelievable drummer. In my uninformed opinion, his drumming is as essential to the sound of that band as Bonham's drumming was essential to Zeppelin.

I only post here because you mentioned percussion.

Jun 13, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 21
Used to be HUGE into DMB. Fell off a little, but still like him.

X2 on the Live at Luther College - I saw him live with Tim Reynolds in a small venue - amazing.

Live at Red Rocks
Listener Supported

For studio albums, X2 on the Recently EP. I also really like Under the Table and Dreaming.

Jun 13, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 21
I find the acoustic guitars are not recorded naturally at Luther College. Very artificial pingy sounding pickups. I agree the performance is very good and should be heard though. Tim Reynolds is a fine musician -- he accompanies on second guitar. Matthew surrounds himself with first rate players for sure. It's nice to hear cause most pop bands tend to be manned by hacks these days. (I know should not generalize, but...)

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #11 of 21
Favorite song is Too Much off the Crash studio album. =T

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #12 of 21
Here's what I think are the best places to start in each category:

Studio: Crash - This will give you a good idea of what they are all about
Before These Crowded Streets - If you liked Crash, you will love this
Under the Table and Dreaming - This is a classic album whether you are a Dave fan or not

Live: Listener Supported, Red Rocks - These two are kind of on the same level but offering different sides of their music
Central Park - If you become a Dave fan you won't be disappointed, but I recommend starting with one of the above two.

Luther College: This is a live album that deserves a whole category to itself. This is an all acoustic set that's two discs of truly great music making.

I suggest waiting until you get to know the band before starting on Dave's solo album or you might be a little put off. The same goes for Stand Up, their newest album.

Do Not Buy: Live at Fenway - I can't stress this enough. Truly horrible and a huge disappointment.
Folsom Fields - Overall lack luster and not worth the price of admission.

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSTpt1022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's what I think are the best places to start in each category:

Studio: Crash - This will give you a good idea of what they are all about
Before These Crowded Streets - If you liked Crash, you will love this
Under the Table and Dreaming - This is a classic album whether you are a Dave fan or not

Live: Listener Supported, Red Rocks - These two are kind of on the same level but offering different sides of their music
Central Park - If you become a Dave fan you won't be disappointed, but I recommend starting with one of the above two.

Luther College: This is a live album that deserves a whole category to itself. This is an all acoustic set that's two discs of truly great music making.

I suggest waiting until you get to know the band before starting on Dave's solo album or you might be a little put off. The same goes for Stand Up, their newest album.

Do Not Buy: Live at Fenway - I can't stress this enough. Truly horrible and a huge disappointment.
Folsom Fields - Overall lack luster and not worth the price of admission.

Totally agree! #41 off of Crash is probably one of the best songs by them. Say Goodbye is right up there with it though. Both very musical, layered, and just amazing all around!

Not a big fan of anything after Before These Crowded Streets, except The Lillywhite Session...which isn't an offical album. It was rerecorded and made into the crap you hear on Busted Stuff
rolleyes.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #14 of 21
Before these Crowded Streets, Crash for studio
Both the Live at Red Rocks and complete Weekend on the Rocks and definetly Listener's Supported

I rather like Live at Folsom Field, but I'm probably a bit bias there since I was at that concert and it was just an awesome show.

Jun 13, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #15 of 21
Amazing how I used to obsess over this band, and I haven't listened to them once in about 2 years.

Studio- Before These Crowded Streets. By far their best work and always will be to my ears.

Live- Live Trax Vol 1. Live at the Centrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back