wow complicated cmoy type amplifier
May 9, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #61 of 71
Quote:

then youd probably be banning a very very large number of legitemate DIYers.

Selling a product is not a legitimate DIYer and I quit so will be banning no one but I will be dropping dimes on anyone i see breaking the rules

Quote:

you probably have very few left. I mean tell me any diyer that hasnt sold something they made? A DIYer that sells to absorb costs is not uncommon man.

how about most but it is guys that express the same ****** attitude as you where you think you have a right to make money that pisses me off most.I have yet to sell ANYTHING to defray the "cost" of my own personal DIY projects though you seem to think others are here to support YOUR hobby.

pffffft..!

Do you actually read what you write man ?

you just went from defending "legitimate" then saying all sell products.
blink.gif

You need to read the rules which are very clear on selling.We have both a for sale forum for "one ofs" and a mall for "multiples of products.

you seem to think selling at will is just fine as do others and that is exactly what has brought this to a head where either there are rules and they are strictly enforced or i want no part of anything to do with moderating a group that beleives they have an inherent right to sell anything at will.hopefully times are gonna change so real DIY can come back to head-fi instead of the SHAM-FI crap that onyl serves those making money while others play fair and pay as they go

May 9, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #62 of 71
rick,

you know I think your just to bent on gung ho and kamakazi-ying your way through this thread with no thoughts on the repercussions that would result if you actually followed through with half your decisions stated in this thread.

sorry man. but I have to disagree with most of your statments.

I really think you should evaluate what you are saying more carefully, I get a feeling that you locked yourself in a box and blocking out everyones opinions but yours.

if you feel people are hitting gray areas and loopholes, then rewrite the terms or service to fix the loopholes.

my 2 cents.

May 9, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #63 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari

I am sure that if HeadFi stops group buy activities then it will continue elsewhere...someone will start a forums called amp-fi or diy-fi or some rubbish like that and start group buys on a massive scale. HeadFi will lose that section of its traffic (who will no doubt come here to view headphone related information).

Relax and let the right people handle this in the right way.

AGREED

actually I know this will happen, ive seen it happen on small scales here.

May 9, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #64 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
how about most but it is guys that express the same ****** attitude as you where you think you have a right to make money that pisses me off most.I have yet to sell ANYTHING to defray the "cost" of my own personal DIY projects though you seem to think others are here to support YOUR hobby.

Not everyone has the same financial means and abilities. If someone wishes to purchase a headphone amplifier (or some other piece of DIY) and someone wishes to sell it to them- I fail to see what the problem is? If there is a rash of some individuals attempting to sell a large number of nearly identical products (e.g. person A selling ten Cmoys) then that seems, as per the rules, to be something that should be listed in the Mall-Fi section. I am in the process of building a PPA and then I have two boards to make a Dynalo- one for myself and one for a friend. He has no desire to learn how to do DIY electronics- but he does have an interest in music and he is going to help me make cases for the headphone amps we make together.

However I do not see the logic of connecting group buys of boards where individuals are able to buy a few boards for personal use, versus individuals designing one off amplifier projects as being directly connected with the isse of how DIY should be done. From most of the posts you've made so far it seems that you disagree with other peoples interpretations of DIY.

Quote:

you seem to think selling at will is just fine as do others and that is exactly what has brought this to a head where either there are rules and they are strictly enforced or i want no part of anything to do with moderating a group that beleives they have an inherent right to sell anything at will.hopefully times are gonna change so real DIY can come back to head-fi instead of the SHAM-FI crap that onyl serves those making money while others play fair and pay as they go

I think most people would agree that individuals simply selling copies of DIY amplifiers for profit goes against the culture of this hobby - I don't see this as a major part of the disagreement that is taking place in this thread. From my perspective the disagreement stems from a difference of opinion as to what constitutes DIY. If I came up with an entirely de novo headphone amplifier design, designed and ordered the boards and then allowed people to participate in a group buy of the boards at cost, would you have a problem with it - given that I designed the board and then freely decided to allow others to use it?

Regarding peoples rights to sell items - unless the sale of something is specifically prohibited by law, as I understand it - people do have the right to sell whatever they want. If you want to prohibit people from selling through Head-fi, that's one issue- however that's not going to stop people from reading threads regarding designing audio DIY and using publically posted schematics to create their own amplfiers and then sell them even without head-fi.

May 9, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #65 of 71
Rick,

I'm lost, confused and a bit miffed at the vehemence with which you've attacked the Millett-Hybrid poject.

I'll lay it all out for you. I didn't start the original thread with the intention of creating a group buy. Rather, I was taken aback by the cost of the pre-manufactured board, which seems pretty legit given that the board that we'll be distibuting will cost less than half of the "retail" version. Before I even thought about modifying or even trying to source Pete's board from somewhere else I sent a email to Pete. He responded with resounding support of finding a less expensive way for people to be able to enjoy his design. I'll be more than happy to foward you the exchange of emails if you like. I also believe that I contacted YOU about questioning the rules and regulations of group buys prior to starting the group buy thread. If it wasn't you it was one of the other mods, I don't have the PM's any more. I have attempted in every way to make sure that this GB is conducted on the up and up and in what I believe is the true spirit of Head-Fi.

And are you claiming that I'm trying to make money off of this??? That'd be pretty laughable. I've invested somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 bucks in this project, NONE of which I expect back. So I guess I'm the moron in the end who should have just paid the $40 for the board. Making it better really was a bad idea, financially speaking for me. And did you read the whole board thread, specifically where I turned down another member's suggestion that Drew and I's costs be included in the board prices? I saw the Millett-Hybrid modified board as a way of giving BACK to this community which has given so freely to me. You'll also note that I contribute to Head-Fi and offer whatever limited knowledge I do have to members who are trying to get into this hobby.

Now onto some of the nicer things you've said about me...

1. Quote:

I have even resisted the temptation to post some really nice projects I have found on some obscure web pages that most here could never find on their own (I AM the links monster ) but fear seeing the thread "how do i do this" and then the next thread of "Group buy" because those selling product have zero skills and need to copy from others which in my mind is dead wrong.

2. Quote:

the entire thing started out as a way to avoid paying $40 and was said to be "highway robbery" openly as the very first post then went on to design a board that is now $20 and links to guess who ?

MR "I don't want to pay" is who.Am I the only one that sees a problem with htis and aslo a pattern ?
Probably and another reason to wash my hands of the DIY forum.They have been harder to clean lately anyway.too much of this crap is sticking.

3. Quote:

after everything was already in full swing and i am convinced it would not have mattered but just would have changed the method of distribution.Just my gut feeling though not any evidence.Pete Agreeing made it a moot point anyway soo...

1. I cannot design a ciruit, you're right. Does that mean that I'm an unacceptable group buy coordinator?

2. $40 for the Millett board is highway robbery, especially when it's sold by a company that had ZERO to do with the development of the design. If Pete wants to profit off the board, super, but he gets nothing from DIYCable. He specifically put the board files on his site so that people could get it from whomever they wanted to. And your anger directed at me seems entirely misplaced in this regard, I'm selling the board at a reasonable cost and at zero personal profit, actually quite a loss. I will PM you every invoice that I get related to the group buy so that you can attest to the fact that I'll lose money and if there's a penny left over it'll get donated right back to this community in Pete's name, that's been my intention all along.

3. Your gut feeling is dead wrong, at least in terms of my involvement in the project. Would some other member have picked it up and ran with it, nobody knows. But I can tell you that if Pete had not recommended that I seek out an alternate vendor I would have paid the $40 and moved on. I'll edit my original post in the thread about the DIYcable boards.

So, you got a beef with me send me a PM and I'll PM you my phone number back so we can chat. I find keyboards to be an all to convenient wall behind which some folks stand and say things that they would never actually SAY to a person. I'm NOT saying that's you.

Nate

May 9, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #66 of 71
Rick

btw, if you feel proud on crapping on a part time struggling college student and works at a cafe with NO money. but enthusiastic about not only cabling but audio in general You win.
I just spent the only cash I had on some nice dress clothes to take my mother out for mothers day dinner at Church.

SHAM FI I am not.

I hope your proud of yourself.

I make less in a year then most of you folks make in a month.

so please quit ragging on me, because I AM NOT some sheisty seller. I speak as if Im making business out of this. How much do you really think Ive made selling ANYTHING here or ebay? I really think you have this huge misunderstanding of me as a person or ACTUAL revenue that even ends up in my pocket. let me give you a hint.

I have no money. If I do have any inkling of cash left over from ebay expenses, material costs, shippings costs. I blow it on something stupid like more cable materials (Yes I like building cables) or something for my headphones.

most of the cash I spend on those arent even tangible, I use a credit card.

Now that I am a member of the trade. I cant sell cables in the sales forum, what does that mean? Im not selling cables here on my on initiative. Im just here posting in the amp forums becuase I like tubes, and here in the DIY forum to help aspiring cable makers. Now you proposing a ban?

I sell 1 cable a week on ebay that I make on my spare time, What kind of business is that? and now im MOT and I follow your service rules (at least to I believe I am) and you come in and start draggin me through the mud, I have been very polite to you the entire thread. read all my responses, I have aplogized and have not been rude.

but you keep bashing me?

Dude, I dont know if you are aware of this, you really are crapping on the little guy when hes down.

Its really discouraging, things like this make me just want to quite the hobby altogether.

peace out.

May 9, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #67 of 71
I am attacking the entire DIY forum attitude of everything for sale,NOT build but BUY.

I am attacking those who when they are caught doing something they are told not to who go underground and continue to "finance" their hobby

I am attacking everything about this joint as having damn near nothing to do with DIY but selling and kit/board troubleshooting once the sale is made

I am attacking the cable display as being used by some as no more than a running advertisement for cable sales while other members have always played by the rules and sold strictly in channels provided

I am attacking the general attitiude where you guys think you are in charge and can make the rules as you go and don't want to hear any crap from anyone because that spoils everything

i am atrtacking this forum period as having very little to do with anyone actually building a single "one of" item for themself with out a sale being consumated between members before proceeding on with the project because this is no more than a running advertisement forum where anyone coming in for the first time automatically goes to whatever amp/project is being discussed/sold as the only option they see so they BUY in.

All no more than a commercial zone in what was meant to be the MOST commercial free zone at head-fi

I am also attacking the justifications all use to continue on just doing business because after all,it is just a service to the members right ?

yeah right
rolleyes.gif

May 9, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #68 of 71
Im sorry rick if I rubbed you the wrong way.

My gallery pics I posted here as much as you would like to believe were not inteded for advertising, I was proud of the cables, so i displayed them proudly
frown.gif
, now Im not even allowed to post any pics of cables Ive made.

please understand you can be sure that I wont be making cash here to respect you guys.

Please stop with the attacks on me. Id greatly appreciate it.

Thank you. and I will stop posting in this thread. as it is straying too far off topic.

I would like to apologize to the orginal topic creator.

have a good day.

May 9, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #69 of 71
Quote:

I am attacking everything about this joint as having damn near nothing to do with DIY but selling and kit/board troubleshooting

i am atrtacking this forum period as having very little to do with anyone actually building a single one of item for themself with oput a sale being consumated between members before proceeding on with the project because this is no more than a running advertisement forum where anyone coming in for the first ime automatically goes to whatever amp/project is being discussed/sold as the only option they see so they BUY in.

All no more than a cmmercial zone in what was meant to be the MOST commercial free zone at head-fi

Maybe there should be two forums, one for head amp design, and one for the schmucks like me who are never going to design an amp, but enjoy buying the boards and putting them together.

May 9, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #70 of 71
Quote:

i am atrtacking this forum period as having very little to do with anyone actually building a single "one of" item for themself with out a sale being consumated between members before proceeding on with the project because this is no more than a running advertisement forum where anyone coming in for the first time automatically goes to whatever amp/project is being discussed/sold as the only option they see so they BUY in.

Ok, you tell me if I've violated any stated Head-Fi policy or rule with the Millett Hybrid group buy. Until I've heard from you it's on hold. I have no interest in doing anything that's contrary or conflicts with the stated mission of Head-Fi.
SEE HERE

Nate

May 9, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #71 of 71
the thread originator requesteed that i close this thread as having strayed mightily off topic and i concur so it is now locked up and put to rest.Anything needing to be said has been and my positions and those from the other side clearly stated so...

good night thread,sleep tight.........

rick-exmonsterator rx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back