wow complicated cmoy type amplifier
May 8, 2005 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

IEATTEFLON

100+ Head-Fier
Just saw this on ebay and wondered what the impressions are of our DIY folks.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #5 of 71
Interesting, but can it wash my car or do the dishes for me?
tongue.gif

P.S. as complicated as it is, it escapes me why they refer to it as a variation on a Cmoy. Why even mention the Cmoy?
confused.gif

May 8, 2005 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 71
Sounds annoying.

Pressing the button so many times. Where's the 2 hour option?

Sounds good if I was an engineer, creative. But as a consumer, I want an on off button, not a click for hours button.

Cool none the less.

May 8, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #8 of 71
Chu Moy started it all...naming him is a nod in his direction...

I dont see anything wrong. Is CMOY a registered trademark? no...

So there...nothing unethical at all...

On the contrary I think it is unethical to NOT give credit to the designer/founder

May 8, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #9 of 71
I don't see anything in this amplifier resembling the original cmoy. The only reason I see someone on ebay including "cmoy" is a bait and switch tactic to trick people that searched for cmoy.

It's like searching for a SONY cd player but finding a bunch of COBY - just like Sony players.

May 8, 2005 at 8:36 AM Post #10 of 71
i find it hard to agree with that statement without seeing a schematic or a close up of raw board.

cmoy has become a generic name for small diy op amp based hp amps. no need to work yourself up about it.

May 8, 2005 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 71
I don't have a problem with such a thing as long as it's still a CMoy. It's when people say it's like a CMoy but it's buffered and has a ground channel amp. No that would make it a Pimeta.

CMoy is a name (this is my personal belief) that should be reserved in the DIY world for any singe stereo unbuffred chip amp, regardless of gain selector, power supply, TLEs, cap values etc. But it should not be used if the the amp section no longer holds true to the original design.

This is still a CMoy.

To the amp: I wonder why he didn't use SOIC chips? I mean the trace widths are that small anyway, why not use small components.

May 8, 2005 at 10:40 AM Post #12 of 71
I disagree. Its like calling the Grado RA-1 a cmoy and vice versa. This thing is way more complicated than a CMOY so why not give it an original name?

Other than a possible match for the amplification stage it uses a TLE, crossfeed, microchips in the circuitry and who knows what else which is not true to the original CMOY. My beef is people capitalizing on the popular name to sell a product.

Another thing, PIMETA and META etc. is a pcb board name not a circuit. You can copy it but you would have to make up your own name for it such is the words from Tangent. However, I see people selling a variation of it all the time using the PCB names to help attract buyers.

May 8, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #13 of 71
The CMoy name seems to have stuck with these "opamp in a non-inverting mode driving headphones" amps. Just like almost anything is classified as a Gainclone if a diy speaker amp is built using a power opamp regardless of how different the schema is when compared to the original Gaincard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
To the amp: I wonder why he didn't use SOIC chips? I mean the trace widths are that small anyway, why not use small components.

Dunno about the manufacturer's motives, but at least the diy crowd can change the op-amps easily
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2005 at 10:49 AM Post #14 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATTEFLON

Other than a possible match for the amplification stage it uses a TLE, crossfeed, microchips in the circuitry and who knows what else which is not true to the original CMOY. My beef is people capitalizing on the popular name to sell a product.

tle replaces the resistor dividor, does the same job just better. by your logic even then amps with a pot instead of a gain switch are no longer cmoy's.

stuff like xfeed, indicators, etc, theyre simply make up on the amp. they are nice things to have but dont change the circuitry that amplifies.

i think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. people will always capitalise on the popularity of a dominant brand name. think back to the portable casette player you had in the 80's thru 90's, chances are it may not have been a sony, but you still would have called it a walkman when you talk about it.

May 8, 2005 at 11:00 AM Post #15 of 71
So that makes it ethical or acceptable? Since many of the builders on this forum probably didn't trademark their line, maybe I should make a Veda audio, Rockhopper audio, JMT audio etc to entice people to my products? Same ethics as the whole issue with 'Grado Clone" a while back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back