Would you trust Refurbished headphones? Sort of a review of Sony's refurbished headphones
Jul 2, 2013 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MosinNagantMan

New Head-Fier
I have never been in a Sony store until I moved to where I am now.  A salesperson showed me their little section of headphones 50% off which are "Factory recertified"  The choices were not great the first time I was there but I did walk out with MDR-MA300s, I was impressed with them and came back a few weeks later to find MDR-V55s on sale and got them too.  The package was just a plain white cardboard box with a sticker having the label of the headphone model, inside was also simple, the headphones are well packed in with thick bubble wrap. No accessories or anything, just warranty and instructions paper included.  Both headphones have no evidence of them being used with only a sticker reminding you that they are.   So for, new looking headphones with a warranty for 50% off retail price I think these were great buys.  These together would have been $114 if retail, only $57 getting them refurbished, saved enough to get an amp for them lol.  So wondering if you would buy refurbished headphones or if you have, I'd like to hear your experiences.

As far as the headphones themselves, I really like the V55's, I wish they were there first. My only dislike is the on-ear design which during this current heatwave is not very comfortable lol.  The MA300s are my first open headphones, very comfortable, use them mainly for movies. They lack in good bass and no cushion top is my complaint, 3 meter cable is also too much for me.

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 7
The Sennheiser Momentum I got were refurbished. They looked new, the only thing that troubled me was that one of the cables coming out from the leather headband wasn't curly enough, and they don't look harmonic to some extend. I wasn't never impressed with the sound, for a while I thought they had a defect or something, but with time you learn to like the sound, or accept it. 

My Xba-3ip are also refurbished, I can't say they're good or bad because I never listened a new, original pair to start with, but I find them quite normal.

I guess it's luck. 

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 7
Yep, I trust refurbished gear, especially if being sold by reputable stores... If you got them straight from a Sony Store, I wouldn't even think twice nor suspect anything.

squallkiercosa == cool username!!! LOL

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 7
The only real difference is your thinking that they are used/not as good as new. In reality you won't notice the difference as they are barely used at all (correct me if I'am wrong, but extensively used ones, like cans for testing, go different route). Statement like "it may not sound as good as the one for full price" are just stupid and ridiculous, what's wrong with you people? The problem is not with HP, the problem is with you being overly suspicious and looking for faults/defects that simply aren't there. In fact, the chances of poor build quality are the same (if not the less) like buying the HP for full price. Consider it's a double tested pair. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
The only real difference is your thinking that they are used/not as good as new. In reality you won't notice the difference as they are barely used at all (correct me if I'am wrong, but extensively used ones, like cans for testing, go different route). Statement like "it may not sound as good as the one for full price" are just stupid and ridiculous, what's wrong with you people? The problem is not with HP, the problem is with you being overly suspicious and looking for faults/defects that simply aren't there. In fact, the chances of poor build quality are the same (if not the less) like buying the HP for full price. Consider it's a double tested pair. 
biggrin.gif

You are entirely right, they could be as good as new or better considering they were already tested. However, I do like to save money and I like nice things too. Are you telling me you never checked for defects every time you buy a pair?

Forgot to add: There are cultural differences, or different return policies in ever country, doesn't necessary mean we are doing something wrong by picking what we think can be a better deal or complain about other silly things.

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 7
I bought refurb AD-700's along with a colleague (who is also a head-fi'er) and neither of us have had any issues with the product on the grounds of it being a refurb. May have been a scuff on the purple grill but I saw that a couple of weeks later and it could have been my fault -  but the sound seems to be none the worse for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back