Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp
Jan 30, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #211 of 270
Quote:
So much of it depends on the variety of the genres you listen to (especially when some are relatively "harder" and some "softer"). If you're listening to relatively hard music (harder forms of electronic (electro, dubstep, drum & bass, progressive/club), rock, metal, etc.) you'll want a sound signature that is far from the sound signature you'll want for the relatively softer genres (e.g. classical, jazz (the more mellow kind), electronica, folk, r&b, lounge, chill out, etc.) If you listen to a wide variety of genres, I would find it hard to believe that one headphone would be optimal for everything. Personally, I choose the LCD-3 for the harder stuff, and the HD800s for the lighter stuff. The SR-009s sound great, but they're just one sound. Each driver technology has its strengths and weaknesses.

Have you heard the SR-009s? I own the LCD-3, HD-800s and TH-900s (and have owned the RS1s and HE-6s) and if I could only own the SR-009s, I would gladly take that option for all genres that I listen too (rock, metal, jazz, classical, acoustic, etc...). They get the vast majority of my head time as a result. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #212 of 270
Quote:
Have you heard the SR-009s? I own the LCD-3, HD-800s and TH-900s (and have owned the RS1s and HE-6s) and if I could only own the SR-009s, I would gladly take that option for all genres that I listen too (rock, metal, jazz, classical, acoustic, etc...). They get the vast majority of my head time as a result. 

I agree. Hearing is not the same as owning.

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #213 of 270
That's what I did. Dynamics > Stats > Speakers

Quote:
No. I'd invest in some decent speakers given that all factors of having one is understood. Other than that, the only time I'd possibly want to buy one is if I had time and money for it, there are more important things in life than just headphones. My 2c.

I don't really think ultimate transparency can be 'not ideal for all genres'. The 009 would be my pick for absolutely any genre. There may be more 'fun' cans, but the 009 handily bests them all.

Quote:

I agree. Hearing is not the same as owning.

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #214 of 270
That's what I did too, except I then went on to get electrostatic speakers :D 

I've never really understood the "different cans for different genres" approach at all, and indeed only ever use the SR-009's for all my headphone listening.  However, I can understand owning two sets of cans solely for the sake of sound signature, and that is if one listens to a LOT of hot-mixed and hot-mastered super-compressed pop music, in which case something veiled can offer the ears a sense of relief from the pain of constant clipping :wink: 

Quote:
That's what I did. Dynamics > Stats > Speakers

I don't really think ultimate transparency can be 'not ideal for all genres'. The 009 would be my pick for absolutely any genre. There may be more 'fun' cans, but the 009 handily bests them all.

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #215 of 270
I can understand another can for something that's poorly produced for sure, but I don't feel it's necessary in most cases. 

If I could afford more than one nice system (ie. Still have my 009s) I would for sure, but if I can only pick one...speakers.

Quote:
That's what I did too, except I then went on to get electrostatic speakers :D 

I've never really understood the "different cans for different genres" approach at all, and indeed only ever use the SR-009's for all my headphone listening.  However, I can understand owning two sets of cans solely for the sake of sound signature, and that is if one listens to a LOT of hot-mixed and hot-mastered super-compressed pop music, in which case something veiled can offer the ears a sense of relief from the pain of constant clipping :wink: 

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #216 of 270
Just to point a different perspective out, how about a portable system? Portable system allows you to listen everywhere and at any given time. That's what I'm currently working on. Sr009 or speakers can't let you listen out of the house. I personally listen to music more outside than inside, so a portable system is more important for me.

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #217 of 270
Nope. Like the HD800 better.

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #218 of 270
Quote:

Have you heard or owned the HD800 / 009 to conclusive say that? While I haven't heard the 009's myself, but I have other stat's to keep me company and a idea what they sound like, but given that tinkering into the 009 territory at least for me it will be more worthwhile to go for a speaker setup and I feel I may end up going the path MT is on now. 

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #219 of 270

Have you heard or owned the HD800 / 009 to conclusive say that? While I haven't heard the 009's myself, but I have other stat's to keep me company and a idea what they sound like, but given that tinkering into the 009 territory at least for me it will be more worthwhile to go for a speaker setup and I feel I may end up going the path MT is on now. 
I have heard the HD800 and 009.

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #221 of 270
Quote:
You liked the HD800 better? Hmm interesting....*changes mind and decides not to sell the HD800's*.

Yeah, the HD800s are fantastic headphones and in the top 3 headphones I've heard/owned. BUT, the SR-009s beat them in every area except for sound stage width. The differences between the SR-009s and my LCD-3s/HD800s are quite large IMO. Initially I wasn't so sure when I got my Stax rig back in November. But after a few months with them, I can easily say that IF I could only own the SR-009s vs. the rest of my dynamic headphones...it would be a no brainer. Adios dynamic cans. Thankfully, I don't have to make that decision though. 
size]

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #222 of 270
I say wait for a meet to hear the 009 because its a lot of cash..

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #224 of 270
Quote:
Yeah, the HD800s are fantastic headphones and in the top 3 headphones I've heard/owned. BUT, the SR-009s beat them in every area except for sound stage width. The differences between the SR-009s and my LCD-3s/HD800s are quite large IMO. Initially I wasn't so sure when I got my Stax rig back in November. But after a few months with them, I can easily say that IF I could only own the SR-009s vs. the rest of my dynamic headphones...it would be a no brainer. Adios dynamic cans. Thankfully, I don't have to make that decision though. 
size]

Well I would not be surprised that the 009 would be in another league of it's own just by looking at it from a price perspective. $4500 vs $1500 is a massive difference (don't even get started on the cost of required amplification and a high quality source. Since both are the best of it's own kind (transducer based), it sort of reminds me how the HE90 used to be the best stat and the Qualia 010/R10's the best dynamics but now a unobtanium status.

Indeed I do love my HD800's but even then my other Stax gear are gaining more headtime from me, talk about speed and perfect transient and clarity from these things. If I had the money and space, I'd buy all the stats and dynamics and orthos and piezo-electrics...
size]

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #225 of 270
Better soundstage he said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back