Would you rather use Closed or IEMs for going out and about?
Jun 25, 2010 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BlackSushi222

100+ Head-Fier
I just would like to gather some opinions from the experienced people on this site.

For strolling around the city, going to school, going into buses, subways, or riding on a plane, which one would you use, an IEM or a Closed headphone? To be in your own world?

This would also help me decided what I should get after my IEMs bust (which should be soon), which are cheap, over bassy Skullcandy Ink'd IEMs... eww...
mad.gif
. I have never owned a closed set, so I wonder if they isolate enough.

Btw, if any1 has experience with the Beyerdynamic DT 235s, would you recommend them? They look perfect for my budget, just don't know the sound quality, comfort, and isolation.

Jun 25, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 17
you can read how good is the dt235 and how it ranks to some of its competition here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-36-portable-headphones-compared-beyerdynamic-dt235-added-05-29

Quote:
I just would like to gather some opinions from the experienced people on this site.

For strolling around the city, going to school, going into buses, subways, or riding on a plane, which one would you use, an IEM or a Closed headphone? To be in your own world?

This would also help me decided what I should get after my IEMs bust (which should be soon), which are cheap, over bassy Skullcandy Ink'd IEMs... eww...
mad.gif
. I have never owned a closed set, so I wonder if they isolate enough.

Btw, if any1 has experience with the Beyerdynamic DT 235s, would you recommend them? They look perfect for my budget, just don't know the sound quality, comfort, and isolation.

Jun 25, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 17
IEMs for planes, passive closed headphones aren't that good with the lowest frequencies from the jet engine (both in theory and my experience). IEMs for city use, I live in two of the world's craziest cities, NYC and HK. School, my ESW10JPN beat my IEMs (SE530, triple.fi), hands down. 

Jun 25, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 17
for casual walking about i like full sized closed - you can take them on and off easier, i feel a little more aware of my surroundings and i find the sound in my head walking or chewing gum etc. annoying with iems.

if it's for more active movement i use iems over the ear cinched behind head with my shuffle for completely free movement.  iems might be better if you want to fall asleep (like on a plane).

i haven't heard those beyers but a quick google suggests they're great.

Jun 25, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #6 of 17
Wow, thx for the link mcnoiserdc! That helped alot.

So as I see, IEMs are more preferred so far.

I guess it makes sense seeing many people walking around with them in the city, but alot with the white Ipod earbuds.... I feel sorry for them on how much they are missing out.

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 17
yeah, it is true, you know you buy an iPod it comes with the white ear bud, and you listen to it, and say ok and keep going,
But when you hear a good pair of headphones you won't go back.
As you can see by replies here, people tend to have different headphones for different situations,

I don't know if you have tried IEM, but if not try them before deciding if portable headphones or IEM. After that decide on which and then you may want to have more headphones for the best purpose.
In my case, I have one for home, one portable, as I like to know what is going on around me (koss porta pro), and IEM for when It is loud.

Quote:
Wow, thx for the link mcnoiserdc! That helped alot.

So as I see, IEMs are more preferred so far.

I guess it makes sense seeing many people walking around with them in the city, but alot with the white Ipod earbuds.... I feel sorry for them on how much they are missing out.

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 17
Ah I c.

And yes I have had 1 IEM, the Skullcandy Ink'd, which at the time I thought was a huge improvement over the white apple earbuds.

But after I got the Koss Porta Pros, and PX100-IIs, even the Skullcandy Ink's already sounded like trash to me.

I also had another IEM, a FAKE Chinese/Hong Kong made EP-630... Which I could not return... I learned from that lesson for sure.

So yep, since I had the Skullcandy Ink'd for awhile now, I feel like they are going to die soon, and am looking for a replacement IEM (an upgrade) or a closed headphone since I don't want people to listen to my embarrassing music, or annoy the elderly on the train. My budget would be under 80 dollars/euros.

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 17
Definitely IEMs. Just moving up to college and having to walk around campus and stuff; my Clip+ and ER4P/Ss are going to get a ton of use. I'm so glad I picked up the Etys though; the isolation is amazing with these; I hear absolutely nothing when music is playing at normal listening volumes no matter where I am.

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 17
As you have some open headphones and have used some IEM, the guy who wrote that portable headphones comparison, has this awesome thread for IEM:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-76-iems-compared-sleek-sa1-added-06-18

You know, you may get a closed headphones for when you are secure/confident/safe and IEM for when you want discretion.
Like in my case I bought the Portapros which I love, but I see people looking at me when I wear them at University, so I am getting ear buds for that situation, as I also want to know what is happening.
Quote:
Ah I c.

And yes I have had 1 IEM, the Skullcandy Ink'd, which at the time I thought was a huge improvement over the white apple earbuds.

But after I got the Koss Porta Pros, and PX100-IIs, even the Skullcandy Ink's already sounded like trash to me.

I also had another IEM, a FAKE Chinese/Hong Kong made EP-630... Which I could not return... I learned from that lesson for sure.

So yep, since I had the Skullcandy Ink'd for awhile now, I feel like they are going to die soon, and am looking for a replacement IEM (an upgrade) or a closed headphone since I don't want people to listen to my embarrassing music, or annoy the elderly on the train. My budget would be under 80 dollars/euros.

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 17
Wow thx again for another link to that guy. He writes the reviews really well!

That's true, I guess I should do that too. Maybe use my PX100-IIs when I am at a quiet park or a suitable place, and I can use that to share, if my friends are there.

And use the IEMs for myself, if I don't want unwanted attention and to avoid sharing, because it would be disgusting to share ear wax huh? :D

Now this makes me wonder... are closed headphones really worth buying, since IEMs beat them in isolation, and open headphones beat them in a more fuller, bigger sound. So what are the use of getting closed headphones?

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #12 of 17
You may have answered your thread title question.
Well, comfort, style, choice. Sometimes it may be easier to find better quality in a cheaper form than IEM, well I don't know.. lol

Quote:
Wow thx again for another link to that guy. He writes the reviews really well!

That's true, I guess I should do that too. Maybe use my PX100-IIs when I am at a quiet park or a suitable place, and I can use that to share, if my friends are there.

And use the IEMs for myself, if I don't want unwanted attention and to avoid sharing, because it would be disgusting to share ear wax huh? :D

Now this makes me wonder... are closed headphones really worth buying, since IEMs beat them in isolation, and open headphones beat them in a more fuller, bigger sound. So what are the use of getting closed headphones?

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #13 of 17
@Young Spade, nice man. Those IEMs u use do look pricey tho. Btw Florida.. USF, UF, FSU, UM? :D

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:

If you don't like putting IEMs in your ears? 
You might want a "bigger" sound or something with more bass.
Hmm.... they could be comfier than IEMs although I have never used supra-aural cans. 
If you have people constantly talk to you, earbuds/closed cans would be better for repeated removing. 

Of course I have open cans for the room and IEMs for outside :)

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #15 of 17
Ah, thx for ur input Young Spade, I guess those conviences do make them in a way a reason to be bought. I guess I didn't think of it that way.

What open cans do you use if I may ask?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back