Would you rather use Closed or IEMs for going out and about?
Jun 25, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #16 of 17
Quote:
Now this makes me wonder... are closed headphones really worth buying, since IEMs beat them in isolation, and open headphones beat them in a more fuller, bigger sound. So what are the use of getting closed headphones?

Also don't forget that not all portable applications require absolute noise isolation, and not all portable applications require the ultra-portability of IEMs. Lets look at something as simple as studying at a library. You don't need eymotic's 42db of isolation, it's already quiet. You simply need to make sure that your headphones don't leek sound out, and closed headphones accomplish this.  And you're already likely bringing some sort of backpack or bookbag with you to begin with, so it isn't any extra trouble to stash a pair of portable headphones inside as well.

Then there's the comfort issue, many people simply don't like sticking things inside their ears. And there's soundstage, where closed headphones still typically beat IEMs. So I'd say there are still plenty of applications for a set of closed, portable cans.

Jun 25, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #17 of 17
@JxK

I see where your getting at. So kinda situational in a way where each type thrives at.

Is there a very nice set of closed headphones you could recommend me?
Budget is 80 bucks, and as of now I can't extend it.
Also the music I listen to is basically everything, so like an all-arounder closed headphone would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back