Would you prefer a 'detachable' cable or a 'permanent' cable?
Aug 1, 2010 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Katun

Headphoneus Supremus
Here is something I have been thinking about for a while, and have yet to come to a conclusion.

Generally speaking, would you prefer a detachable cable or a permanent cable for your headphone? An example:

1 - For the headphone(s) you own, if that model was available in both 'detachable' and 'permanent' cable, which one would you buy and why?

Any pros and cons between the two? Preference? Please share any thoughts you have regarding this.

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 60
Detachable especially if I want to use it at both home and as a portable.
If something would go wrong with the cable it would be nice not to have to send the headphone in for repair as well.

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 60
Detachable as I can have a go at DIY easier than attached cables.

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 60
I'm still a bit 'neutral' on this issue.

Detachable is nice and everything, but I slightly worry about the cord that keeps 'connecting' and 'disconnecting' from the headphone over time.

I actually really like detachable cables and everything, but it almost seems like one more thing to worry about. Then again, you can always replace it if it breaks.

Besides, detachable cabled headphones are great to put on display.

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 60
detachable is great! A lot less annoying and doesn't limit you.

Definitely something I tell ya
devil_face.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #7 of 60
This is really something I have never thought about. (the whole 'detachable' or 'permanent' cable ordeal)

But it turns out, I am planning on buying an AKG K70* pretty soon, and I'm torn between the two cables.

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #8 of 60
Detachable every time. I've stood up with my foot on my HD580 cable before, and plainly yanked the plugs from the earcups, which catapulted the headphones onto my sofa. If I was wearing my K701s, I think they'd be DIY wireless if that had happened (I'm very much more careful now)!

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 60
Always detachable. That's why I have the K702s instead of the 1s. If something happens I can just swap the cable. However I always though of getting them because of the custom cables option as I'm doing now. 

I can't see why you would want to be stuck with one length that can be damaged and costly to replace (labor/shipping, etc.) when you can just get one that lets you swap cables at your discression in a few seconds. 

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #11 of 60
Detachable by far. I really like being able to decide what cable I want to use especially on the go. It would also make upgrading or replacing a broken cable a breeze.

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 60
Yeah, so far I've been leaning for the K702 partly because of the detachable cable. I also think the color is nice.

Normally I really like detachable cables, due to accidental tugs that disconnect the cord instead of pulling it straight out. The AKG K702 seems to be the only exception, since it's cable is 'locked' in, but still if it ever broke, you could just replace it I guess.

I never really took into account how easy a cable upgrade would be as well.

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #13 of 60
IMO every phone should have detachable cables. There are numerous reasons including:

1. Upgrading cable
  2. Owning multiple cables (perhaps even the same type of cable) with different terminations (2x3 XLR, 4 XLR, TRS, and speaker terminal leads for some like ortho/K1000)
  3. Far less risk of major damage to the headphone
  4. Using different lengths of cables such as in portable and home use
  5. Less hassle for manufacturers due to less headphones sent in for cable related repairs

When you look at these issues (and perhaps others I didn't think of) it just doesn't make sense to not have detachable cables. I use a balanced amplifier, but to try any other headphones I would have to recable or at least reterminate them to compare them on par with my current headphones. This is a MAJOR reason why I've been so reluctant to try other headphones.

In the spirit of this post I would also argue that a detachable cable plug of some kind be made standard or at least have a couple of standards (accounting for design disparity) so the same cables can work for most if not all headphones.

I realize some things like IEMs may not be able to do this because of their size. I know some IEMs have detachable cables, but most do not.

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #14 of 60
+1 for detachable.

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #15 of 60
^Yea. In the next few weeks I'll take complete advantage of why I bought the 702s in the first place. I'll be able to swap between the stock, a silver, and a more resistive copper for various genres of music. Rather than having multiple phones i have one that is a little more versatile with my music..

Of course it was a little costly but I love the phones that much. Of course and the sound they produce :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back