Would this rackmount parametric equalizer work for removing HRTF from headphones?
Feb 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #16 of 16
Quote:
How are you measuring the sound in your ear canal?

Ever used pink noise? It's a better form of static to use for equalization because when done properly, every frequency should sound the same level of loudness. You play a pink noise track, turn everything down on the EQ, and turn up 1khz to 0db, then one by one you turn up other frequencies and compare their loudness with the 1khz 0db signal, trying to get them to all sound the same level. If you use a frequency sweeper before hand you can get a good idea of where your problem points are, and then concentrate on them.

Once you write down the db for each frequency band you turn them all up to those settings, play the pink noise and make small adjustments to make every frequency sound the same loudness. It takes practice and learning to hear analytically. When you are done you have set an equal loudness curve for your ear, with that headphone.

Using that software EQ I found I was able to calibrate both my headphones, and my PC speakers to achieve an almost table flat frequency response from 100-15khz and it's a night and day difference. I used RoomEQ as a frequency analyzer to assist with getting an idea of how my changes effected the frequency response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back