Would this b a good start up desktop set up?
Jan 24, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #32 of 50
  I dont mean to go off-topic but I'm getting curious now, what did you try and not like?

Audio-Technica ATH-M40x - Tonality was totally off. Sounded weak and boring. I sent it in to be examined for defects, but nothing was wrong with it.

NVX XPT100 - The one I got sounded extremely tinny and artificial, with nearly nonexistent bass. Even when I turned the bass to maximum with EQ and played songs with heavy bass, there was hardly any bass! I talked to someone from the company on the phone, who said they should not sound like that and is sending me a new pair he personally tested to make sure it's working properly. We'll see how that goes.

Sennheiser HD 590 Prestige - This one has to be defective, so I am working on an "item not as described" case with eBay. All the reviews talked about how it is bright, detailed, and exciting, with somewhat strong bass...but the one I got sounds extremely muffled and dull, with weak bass, like I'm listening to music from outside a building. It still has excellent imaging and spaciousness, at least.

Stellar Labs 35-5960 - Lower-end headphones that try to be studio monitors. Another failure.

Even my old QC15 (which is a colored headphone with boosted bass and treble) got much closer to reproducing recordings accurately than any of these did.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #33 of 50
I KNOW I'm getting the Magni/Modi combo, but my concern with the 990s is sound leaking (i listen to music fairly loud sometimes, until like 2-4am), but no one is in my room with me that late, but if the music volume i listen to makes the headphones sound like they're not even there and im just using the laptop speakers, theres no point of me getting Open headphones

Take a pair of headphones that you already have, and turn them up to the volume you listen to them. Take them off with the music playing and lay them on the desk. Are they quiet enough? The 990s shouldn't be louder than that.

Otherwise, if the headphones need to be silent to those around you, you should skip open headphones.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #34 of 50
Take a pair of headphones that you already have, and turn them up to the volume you listen to them. Take them off with the music playing and lay them on the desk. Are they quiet enough? The 990s shouldn't be louder than that.

Otherwise, if the headphones need to be silent to those around you, you should skip open headphones.

Sound leak isn't a problem I don't think. I just don't it seeming like the cans aren't even there lol

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #35 of 50
So my next question

Should I get the 1st or 2nd magni/modi combo? 1st gen is on clearance at Schiits website for $79 each, the 2nd gen is $99 each. so is that extra $40 worth it?

edit: turned my closed bacxk (obviously since gaming) Astro A40s up to 75% volume and could hear them clear as day out in my kitchen which is 25 feet away or so lol

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #36 of 50
Do you have speakers? If so, or you plan to, the Magni 2 Uber would be a good choice because it's a pre-amp: you can hook powered speakers (or speaker amp) to it so that the Modi goes to your speakers through the same volume control mechanism as your headphone amp.

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #37 of 50
Do you have speakers? If so, or you plan to, the Magni 2 Uber would be a good choice because it's a pre-amp: you can hook powered speakers (or speaker amp) to it so that the Modi goes to your speakers through the same volume control mechanism as your headphone amp.

I do but for my pc which i wont be using this on

This will be powered off my laptop and later on way down the road from my PC

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #41 of 50
Well, I don't think you could go wrong either way with the the first generation or the 2nd generation setup.
smily_headphones1.gif

so for someone completely new into this hobby, the 1st gen will do just fine for the DT 990s?

Only thing is ordering the 1st gen on Schiit is you cant return it.

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #43 of 50
Should I get the 1st or 2nd magni/modi combo? 1st gen is on clearance at Schiits website for $79 each, the 2nd gen is $99 each. so is that extra $40 worth it?

so for someone completely new into this hobby, the 1st gen will do just fine for the DT 990s?

The only real issue I can think of is not having enough volume, which shouldn't be an issue.

Here are the output specs for the Magni and Magni 2 (non-Uber):

Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.2W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 260mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 130mW RMS per channel

What is the impedance of your DT 990? If you have the 600 ohm version of the headphones, you won't get quite as much volume potential, but it should still be plenty. I'll let more experienced members tell you precisely how much volume you'd be able to get from 130 mW into 600 ohms.

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #44 of 50

If you order the Modi as Amazon Fulfilled ($89 w/'free shipping') you can. Looks like the Magni is only available to be filled by Schiit and another $9 of shipping is tacked on. Knowing what I do now about the M/M stack, it's a very solid value...doubt you'll be returning them so I'd buy for the cheapest overall price (probably Schiit direct to Seattle).

edit: turned my closed bacxk (obviously since gaming) Astro A40s up to 75% volume and could hear them clear as day out in my kitchen which is 25 feet away or so lol

FWIW, the DT990s are supposed to be very good gaming headphones; never know, they might displace your A40s.

Is there a huge difference between the 990 250ohms and the 770 250 ohms? more bass or something

I originally bought the DT770s as my 'Basshead' headphones. To my ears, the deep bass is a little better on the DT770s but overall I like the 990s better.

For me, the original M/M stack works well with Beyers but the treble can be annoying with some songs. The Beyers and Superluxes are why I bought a hybrid tube amp (Bravo Ocean). It smooths them out a tad and also helps a little in the mids. Had the Vali been available, I'd probably own it instead of the Ocean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back