Would this b a good start up desktop set up?
Jan 23, 2015 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Wydz

Head-Fier

Never used any of this stuff before, and I got talked into using Open headphone instead of closed, NEVER used open before, so I dont know if im going to like them at all.

Is this the best i could do for ~$350 or could i do betterish?

Jan 23, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 50
Looks like one possible audio setup.
The HD598 is going for a good price.

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #5 of 50
The Dragonfly has an onboard amp and I've never been sure if that amp is still being used even when using the "fixed output mode". Since "fixed output mode" is simply putting the volume at max, it sure seems like it is. If that is the case, then I would expect the "fixed" signal coming from the Dragonfly to be pretty "hot" compared to a typical DAC. What sort of sound differences did you hear when comparing the Modi & Dragonfly at the same headphone volume levels?

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 50
The Dragonfly has an onboard amp and I've never been sure if that amp is still being used even when using the "fixed output mode". Since "fixed output mode" is simply putting the volume at max, it sure seems like it is. If that is the case, then I would expect the "fixed" signal coming from the Dragonfly to be pretty "hot" compared to a typical DAC. What sort of sound differences did you hear when comparing the Modi & Dragonfly at the same headphone volume levels?

They're similar.

Are you planning on chasing me around the forum all day?

Jan 23, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #9 of 50
Nice, nice, and nice.

I heard the HD 558 (very similar to the 598) once and had no major problems. (Which is rare for me.)

I own the Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2. Anything in the Magni/Modi line is pretty decent excellent for the money.

As for the best you could do for $350...you could always get better headphones, then save the amp and DAC for later.

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 50
One argument against would be as follows:
>The HD598 is generally thought of as highly efficient
>The HD598 is not the most detail revealing headphone around
>Its also not the most broad-reaching as far as image and soundstage go

So add it all up and A-It may not benefit from having an outboard amp and B- It may not be detail revealing enough to retrieve every micro-ambient detail brought out by an outboard DAC.

Of course that would all depend on what the OP is plugging into now... IE what his baseline is.

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #13 of 50
I "know" the others in this thread, but this is the first I've seen of you. Having looked at your profile, one fails to understand what allows to to take part in this discussion, outside the desire to land a cheap shot.

Ouch.
Sorry for being so toxic.
Could you elaborate a bit on why you think the audioquest is better (I mean, you did say that they're similar.) ?

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #14 of 50
Fellas you're taking this WAAAY out of context.  In that its not about degrading setup-A versus setup-B.  Its more about does the HD598 possess the sonic attributes to fully expose the benefits of a costly amp / DAC upgrade?  The Amp in question is (IMHO) more a "wire with gain" circuit design, as opposed to a product that colors the sound.  Does the HD598 benefit from this kind of an amp?, as compared to what the OP currently has to plug his cans into?  There is a very good possibility it won't.

Its a question about synnergy and getting the most for the OP for the $$ spent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back