Would really appreciate some advice for a newbie.
Sep 21, 2010 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

s0mmie

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've been browsing the website and forums for a while the past day or so, and there's some really great information here, but I thought I would post a quick question in the hope that someone is kind enough to offer some advice, whilst understanding I am completely new to this. Apologies in advance for any silly questions!
smily_headphones1.gif

I am looking to purchase a pair of high quality headphones. I will mainly be using them with my iPhone at the moment, and at home through my PC and stereo. Within my price range, the two best headphones that everyone seems to recommend are the Sennheiser HD25-1mkII and Grado SR80i.

Now my question is really, I would like to buy the HD25s because they seem to be more highly regarded, and I would like to start upgrading to some proper audio equipment in the future, so they seem like they would be a good choice, plus their excellent isolation would make them perfect for using whilst commuting. It's going to be a while before I can save enough cash to invest in some quality audio equipment at home though, so is it worth splashing out on them when their primary use will be with an iPhone? Will the iPhone produce a decent SQ and volume through the HD25s?

I've read that the SR80is will perform far better with the iPod/iPhone, but they are no good for use in public due to leakage, it would seem.

I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, having mainly used the generic iPod in-ears before now, but I used some Sennheiser PX200s before and the difference in quality blew me away, so I figure if I am going to buy my own, I might as well get the very best I can possibly afford, right?

Anyway, I would appreciate any help and input you guys can offer, and if you think I have chosen badly for my needs and could recommend some else, please do. My maximum budget at the moment is about £120.

Cheers guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back