would Grado Labs work with Ideo?
Jan 6, 2011 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

g0ldeng0pher

New Head-Fier
I'm one of the many fans of Grado's sound and value, but also one of many people who think they could stand an update for looks and comfort.

I was recalling a VP I met years back from the design firm IDEO, and thought it'd be really cool if Grado consulted with a group like that to update the looks and comfort, with the caveats that the sound quality and cost of manufacturing would not be compromised. Either than, or make it an open contest with design schools and the public.

Any thoughts? I'm new to head-fi so hope this is an appropriate topic and way of posting it.

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 12
http://www.ideo.com/

Friends of Dorothy meet Madison Ave spin doctors for a love-in. Your wallet is cordially invited :)

One of the enduring trademarks of Grado headphones is their retro look - they absolutely do not need a makeover, or an intervention, or whatever New Age fad is currently sweeping your bridge club.

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 12
I'm doubtful that Grado would change their design. Though there are many who are not big fans, there are just as many who love the current Grado style. At this point, it seems that the design of their headphones is part of what makes Grado Grado.

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 12
for the sake of argument, how about keeping an "originals" line and having one with a redesign? if it helps bring wonderul phones to a new market/audience and better sound to the world, it can't be a bad thing, right?

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
estreeter  Friends of Dorothy meet Madison Ave spin doctors for a love-in. Your wallet is cordially invited :)

You're one for two, estreeter, I have previously worked in the advertising and PR worlds (with a break recently to teach english overseas). 

For those who like the current look, i'm not talking about ditching the "grado look" altogether either...think of BMW's evolution under Chris Bangle--they're still distinct and kept design elements that make them distinguishable from other brands.

so that begs the question: what design elements are most central to current grados? when we see somebody wearing them from a distance, you notice the shape, obviously, but up close, the button with the model (on the lower end) and the open backs? the metal bars between the earpieces and the headband with the little endcaps? 

I think that good design could keep these elements recognizeable while modernizing/steamlining. Would love to hear more thoughts on this (and it's terrific that within a couple of hours of my posting this it already has responses!)

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 12
Their shape is simultaneously their greatest asset and liability.
It's like Volvo and their box cars.
It took them a long time to shed that image. 
And oh yeah, Volvo is now a Chinese company, in case anyone cares. 

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 12
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

Grado recently "upgraded" the looks of the aluminum Grados by giving them a chrome finish. It has not been met with much acceptance. I am of the camp that sound trumps looks, if you don't buy a book because of the cover...well...shame on you. I doubt that Grado is hurting for business enough to revamp the aesthetics of their headphone which has a trademark look as is.

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

Grado recently "upgraded" the looks of the aluminum Grados by giving them a chrome finish. It has not been met with much acceptance. I am of the camp that sound trumps looks, if you don't buy a book because of the cover...well...shame on you. I doubt that Grado is hurting for business enough to revamp the aesthetics of their headphone which has a trademark look as is.

I couldn't agree more that sound trumps looks, hence the aforementioned caveats. And agreed, Grado probably isn't hurting for business (I've bought three pairs myself). Improving fidelity should always be the primary focus.

But for the "if it ain't broke" part, it seems a significant contingent sees room for improvement as far as comfort for longer listening sessions (the earpads and the headbands from what I've gathered are the most modified parts for comfort) and their "outdated" look is often mentioned as a reason not to wear them out of the house with a portable (which hasn't stopped me before and never will).

So, if Grado could keep its signature sound, its trademark "look" and its bang-for-the-buck, while retaining its cost, would people like to see changes to the overall design and comfort? I guess that's the spirited debate I was trying to foster.

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #11 of 12
Well...for my tastes as you probably gathered from my first post...Grado should just leave well enough alone. I still am a firm believer that the current minimalistic look is a huge part of the Grado success. Yeah...some people want to bellyache about the looks and the "lack" of style...those folks can grab some Beats for all I care if they are so shallow as to be concerned about wearing the Grados out in public because of their aesthetics.

As far as comfort, I only have issue after long sessions (4+ hours), otherwise I don't find them uncomfortable at all. My ears become fatigued before any discomfort issues arise. That said...I wouldn't be opposed to a Grado that had the comfort of a DT-770 Pro 80.

I would agree that perhaps a build quality overhaul wouldn't hurt anything. I don't think that they are bad per se, but I did have a little issue with my <2 week old SR325's. The left cup start to freely slide up and down and would no longer stay adjusted. I was able to easily fix the problem at a cost of less than a buck, however I should not have had to on a pair of $300 headphones. Personally, that would be my only gripe...build quality, even though I don't think that is even a major issue.

I also think that Grado proved that going with the chrome cups on the aluminum cupped models that they are not really the best at trying to update the looks of their product. Of course there are some people that like the new look, but from a couple other threads floating around...I think the majority is not approving of the new look. I think Grado should just stick to the tried and true and do what they do best, make awesome sounding headphones even if at the expense of mainstream style.

This all of course is just IMO.

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:

I also think that Grado proved that going with the chrome cups on the aluminum cupped models that they are not really the best at trying to update the looks of their product. Of course there are some people that like the new look, but from a couple other threads floating around...I think the majority is not approving of the new look. I think Grado should just stick to the tried and true and do what they do best, make awesome sounding headphones even if at the expense of mainstream style.

LOL, I agree, chrome was soooo 50's....it's true

Users who are viewing this thread

Back