Would an amp improve the sound quality of a SRH440?
Aug 8, 2012 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Siva108

Head-Fier
Hey guys, so I'm planning on getting an amp with the SRH440s. I was wondering if an amp would improve the sound quality of the 440s in any way.

Also what would be the most neutral amp to get for around $50?

Oh and I'll be listening with a Fuze.

Thanks. :)

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 4
Have you already been using the headphones straight out of your Fuse?  If so, what don't you like about the sound?

I used to use my 440's straight out of my iPod and I found it lacking in bass, and too bright/shrill in the high end.  I almost gave up and returned them.  But they DO sound better through an amp for sure.  I've yet to try them with my C421 but even with the D-Zero they cleaned up a lot.  Less harsh, better bass response (though still not overwhelming), just more pleasant to listen to.  Now I leave them in my living room and use them powered by my home theatre receiver (a Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH) for late night movies and TV when I don't want to wake my neighbours.  I have to say, I'm very happy with them in this application.  They sound really good through a good quality amp like that.

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 4
Nope I haven't even got them yet. But I was planning on getting an amp together with the 440s when I do buy them so that I get them at the same time, IF there is a significant increase in sound quality without changing the 440s neutral signature in any way.

But I have heard that the Fuze/Clip+/Clip Zip has more than enough power to drive the 440s too...

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 4
Wow, I'm switching back and forth between my HD25's and SRH440's right now, and the 440's make the 25's sound downright cold and dry.  Very odd.  I never thought of the 440's as warm but with the bass boost turned on on the C421-OPA2227 they are actually pretty good sounding.  Also very light and comfortable on the head. 

Now on the other hand, these things have pretty poor synergy with the iBasso D-Zero.  The 440's definitely need a bass boost, since they are pretty anemic down low without it. With the D-Zero lacking a bass boost, the low end is lacking pretty badly. Also, as I experienced with this amp and the HD25's, the D-zero makes them sound congested in the mids, lacking in bass, and rolled off in the high-end.  Definitely not a recommended pairing.  The D-Zero sounds great with the M-Audio Q40's though.

Okay so back to your query--yes, the 440's sound better amp'd, if you pick the right amp.  They seem to sound quite good with my JDS Labs C421 with OPA2227 op-amp.  They also sound very good out of my home theatre receiver.  I'd never use them with the iBasso D-Zero.  And that's all I have around to test with.  I'd rather listen to them right out of the iPod than use the D-Zero, but I'd pick the C421 over either of those options any day of the week.  Even more so with the bass boost on. 

Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back