Worthwhile upgrade from CKKIII?
Apr 18, 2008 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

100+ Head-Fier
Is the CKKIII the point of diminishing returns when it comes to solid state home headphone amps? Will a single-ended Beta-22 be a significant upgrade (their measured performance on AMB's site looks similar)?

On the other hand, will an entry level tube amp like SOHA retain the same level of resolution while providing a different angle on the music with my MS1?

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #2 of 8
Uhm... the CMOY is the point of diminishing returns, everything higher will not provide equal price/performance
smily_headphones1.gif

CKK-III is a great amp at its price-range. I like the PPAv2 somewhat more, but it's more expensive. A Dynalo will be nice as well, similar price to CKK-III.

3-channel Beta22 will definitely be a significant upgrade, but you're comparing a $200-$250 amp to a $1200-1500 amp!!

The SOHA is a fantastic amp, especially if you invest in nice coupling caps and JISBOS output stage, a little more expensive than CKK-III and I think it's an improvement over it. Millet MAX is of similar price as well and they are both fantastic amps.

May 14, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 8
Gilmore lite is a Dynalo and I'd say it's around the same level. It's a little more analytical, but I think they're around the same "quality".

THe M^3 is very similar to PPAv2, but it uses MOSFETs as output instead of BJTs. It has much higher class-a output current (typically over 100mA vs 25-30mA for PPAv2) and is somewhat warmer. M^3 might be preferable for colder, more analytical headphones, personally I like the PPAv2 more, but I'm a Sennheiser guy.

May 16, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CKK-III does not use opamps. SOHA - I recommend JISBOS, not opamp.

PPAv2 - OPA627/OPA637, AD8065 or AD825
M^3 - AD8610 or AD825

Great, thanks.

Oct 25, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Uhm... the CMOY is the point of diminishing returns, everything higher will not provide equal price/performance
smily_headphones1.gif

CKK-III is a great amp at its price-range. I like the PPAv2 somewhat more, but it's more expensive. A Dynalo will be nice as well, similar price to CKK-III.

3-channel Beta22 will definitely be a significant upgrade, but you're comparing a $200-$250 amp to a $1200-1500 amp!!

The SOHA is a fantastic amp, especially if you invest in nice coupling caps and JISBOS output stage, a little more expensive than CKK-III and I think it's an improvement over it. Millet MAX is of similar price as well and they are both fantastic amps.

SOHA is expensive than CKKIII?and it is improvement over it.how about compare the SQ,soundtage,detail with this two amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back