worth upgrading from ad700 to ad900?
Oct 3, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #16 of 41
What sources are you plugging the AD700s into?
Later today my Sennheiser HD-558s will arrive, I'll compare them to my AD700, post what I think.
The HD-558 is cheaper then the AD900s.
My guess is the cheapest price for the AD900s will be about 30 days before Christmas, if they drop in price at all.

my ad700 is plugged directly into my sound card.
asus xonar dx
i have sansa clip+ but i wont be using it on that.

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #17 of 41
The Asus Xonar DX does not come with a dedicated headphone amplifier, I used a Xonar DX for over a year with headphones, sounded decent enough.
If all you do with the headphones is stereo 2.0, you can improve the sound for the AD700 with a low cost single tube headphone amplifier, off eBay, shipped from China.
It's cheaper then upgrading to the AD900s

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #18 of 41

Quote:
The Asus Xonar DX does not come with a dedicated headphone amplifier, I used a Xonar DX for over a year with headphones, sounded decent enough.
If all you do with the headphones is stereo 2.0, you can improve the sound for the AD700 with a low cost single tube headphone amplifier, off eBay, shipped from China.
It's cheaper then upgrading to the AD900s

would a ad700 even benefit much from an amp?
how does ad700 + little dot mk2 compare to ad900 unamped?
im am completely clueless when it comes to amps and pre-amps.

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #19 of 41
As an owner and lover of the Ad700 and Ad900 I can say with certainty that the upgrade is well worth it. To me the Ad900 take everything good about the Ad700, accent that, and fix almost every downfall of the Ad700. I loved them straight through my headphone out of my computer and through my iPod for a long time. They don't need an amp at all. Buying an Ad900 will be a bigger upgrade in sound than buying an amp/dac for your Ad700.

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #20 of 41

Quote:
As an owner and lover of the Ad700 and Ad900 I can say with certainty that the upgrade is well worth it. To me the Ad900 take everything good about the Ad700, accent that, and fix almost every downfall of the Ad700. I loved them straight through my headphone out of my computer and through my iPod for a long time. They don't need an amp at all. Buying an Ad900 will be a bigger upgrade in sound than buying an amp/dac for your Ad700.

is it at least 60% better sound wise?

Oct 4, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #21 of 41
The bass is much better, more impact, more extension and better detailed. The mids are more forward, more lively. The highs are a bit more clear. The soundstage is the same, but it's a bit more accurate. The comfort is about the same, depending on the users head size I suppose. The build quality is much better, minus the cord, well at least the Ad700 cord feels better anyway. The real difference will be going back to the Ad700 after you've become accustomed to the Ad900. That's when you'll really say, "Wow, that was worth it."

Many people stop their upgrading at the Ad900 for good reason and there's good reason why you won't find them used often.

Oct 4, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #22 of 41

Quote:
Many people stop their upgrading at the Ad900 for good reason and there's good reason why you won't find them used often.

confused_face_2.gif
Who? On Head-fi? Also, hard to find them used if no one gets them to begin with.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. But let's not make it out to be the absolute best open phone in that mid-range like that. It's not. It's just another option.

Very best,

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #24 of 41
are the ad700 and ad900 not so popular here because they lack the bass?
not much of a bass person.although accurate and detailed bass is always nice.(i can care less about head shaking bass)
im more into the highs and mids, instrumental separation and soundstage.
and if people are wondering i use my ad700 mainly for music.
i tried the the hd555 for music and liked it too but not as much as the ad700.

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #26 of 41
will the price of the ad900 ever drop?
theres a seller on ebay that sells them for around under $230 including shipping new.
someone here mentioned that theres a small chance that they will drop in price around christmas.
from what i read around here, $230 seems like a good deal for a new pair. but cheaper is always better.

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #27 of 41

Quote:
will the price of the ad900 ever drop?
theres a seller on ebay that sells them for around under $230 including shipping new.
someone here mentioned that theres a small chance that they will drop in price around christmas.
from what i read around here, $230 seems like a good deal for a new pair. but cheaper is always better.

Sometimes Amazon sells used AD900s.

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #29 of 41

Quote:
will the price of the ad900 ever drop?theres a seller on ebay that sells them for around under $230 including shipping new.someone here mentioned that theres a small chance that they will drop in price around christmas.from what i read around here, $230 seems like a good deal for a new pair. but cheaper is always better.

Amazon has them new for $215 currently. If you love your Ad700 you'll love the Ad900.

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #30 of 41
i noticed that my ad700 sounded really nice when the room is cold. but after long usage in a heated room, the sound isnt as good.
thats why i dont turn on the heat in my room. does this apply to the ad900 too?
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back