Worst headphones you've ever heard? / Low-fi experiences?
Jun 22, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #46 of 212
Probably the old buds that I got with a BenQ Joybee that I got as a gift a few years back. Those things were easily worse than the stock Ibuds and I couldn't stand using them for more than a few minutes. The only semi-decent thing was that those buds had a built-in volume control, but that's hardly a saving grace.

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #47 of 212
Those earbuds that were packed in with Duracell batteries. The "improved" black ones are a tiny bit better, but till about 50% worse than ibuds.

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #48 of 212
In recent memory the buds/microphone thing that came with my T-Mobile G1 was just plain awful. I think the iBuds are better.

The worst headphones I ever spent money on (and immediately returned) were definitely the Koss plugs, although the Sony Ex-51 "Fontopia" things are a close second. What muddy mooshy nasty.

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #49 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A very close second is the Phonak PFE. To my ears they were about the complete opposite end of the spectrum, all high and mid detail. I was using them unamped, and they just didn't have any bass to speak of this way. It was like there was no foundation to the music presentation.

It is posts like this that remind me how subjective this whole audio hobby is!
smily_headphones1.gif

I couldn't agree less with this analysis of the PFE's- I found they were fairly well balanced , and with the right touch of EQ, could have stellar bass. It is always good to be reminded how different peoples' impressions and tastes can be - keeps things in perspective.

Worst headphones ever hmm--- thespeakercompany dual drivers... wow those were bad.

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #50 of 212
I guess I can see why the PFE could seem bad, as I remember one configuration of tips and insertion depth the ADDIEM sounded dull and lifeless with no bass. I liken the two since they are both BA IEMs that need to be inserted fairly deep. Also the grey filter just doesn't suit my music taste.

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #51 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by ac!d-rxn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is posts like this that remind me how subjective this whole audio hobby is!
smily_headphones1.gif

I couldn't agree less with this analysis of the PFE's- I found they were fairly well balanced , and with the right touch of EQ, could have stellar bass. It is always good to be reminded how different peoples' impressions and tastes can be - keeps things in perspective.

Worst headphones ever hmm--- thespeakercompany dual drivers... wow those were bad.

I agree with your assessment, and was somewhat stunned to see the PFEs listed in this thread (worst headphones you've ever heard). Of course, judging by the positive posts on HF, the PFEs, despite their cracking issue, remain highly regarded by the vast majority of owners. I only sold mine because I was just using the W3s so much more (and I do admit I preferred the PFEs amped for their best SQ, and got tired of using an amp). But you are right, perspective is important, even when it could be considered a true "outlier" POV.

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #57 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sony MDR-XD100 is probably the worst non-pack-in headphone that I ever had the displeasure of shelling out money for, much less listening to. Bloated mid-bass with no low-end impact to speak of, honky and amorphous midrange, and shrill and grating treble equate to an aural train wreck of epic proportions. At least there is one good thing about the XD100: It introduced me to this great hobby!

First post here. But I actually own these too. They are by far, worse than how you described them. But they aren't the worst pair of headphones in my arsenal. I have these earbuds, I think they came with an Element mp3 player, even on full blast with my Essence STX they are barely audible and what can be heard is just a jumbled mess.

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #59 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on guys, say it! Sku...Skull...Skullcan... *angry fanboys rushing toward me*

Oh noes!!!!!!

its funny, yesterday I set out to find semi-decent pair of head phones(with a price rage of around 50 bucks) and the first thing I came across was skullcandy, and I was thinking to myself those don't sound to bad(from a small handfull of reviews). But I started to look around, stumbled upon this site, and have now order a pair of grado SR600i which be here in a day or two.

as for staying on topic, I suppose I'll put in the earbuds I'm currently being forced to use, they came with my creative zen mp3 played. Though to me they sound just fine, but I'm sure thats simply because the most money I spent on head phones has been 20 bucks.

I mean it sounds like music, but if I spend a few seconds to think about it everything does seem pretty muddled together, though most of what I listen to most people seem to regard as a blasting wall of sound with people screaming and who that can't understand. so I look foward to listening to it on what seems to be a entry level pair of audiophile cans

I also think at one might I might have considered buying those koss earbuds that is apperaing to domonate this thread...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back