Worst headphones you ever heard?
Oct 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #32 of 81
Worst as in, worst sounding? A pair I bought for novelty's sake on a JetBlue flight for $1. Little leatherette earcups, and they clipped if you looked at them funny.

Worst as in, the most disappointing headphone I've ever heard? A Headphile CD3000 / Wood / HP2 driver mashup. Infinitely worse sounding than the sum of its parts. I owned it briefly, was insanely excited to get it, and then very quickly realized that it was a supreme example of visual aesthetics over aural. I did end up selling it again at a loss. And yep, I did let the buyer extensively audition it before making the purchase. 

Those headphones will forever be a lesson for me: drivers and housings are designed to be used together, and you can't just toss whatever you want in something pretty and expect high quality sound. A travesty, when considering that a CD3000 had to die. A hatecrime, when considering that an HP2 (or more likely an SR-100 or 200 or whatever) was destroyed. 

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #33 of 81

Those headphones will forever be a lesson for me: drivers and housings are designed to be used together, and you can't just toss whatever you want in something pretty and expect high quality sound.

So true! I am not keen on my 325 with HP1000 drivers.
When I upgraded my HP-1, it took a long time for me to convince Joe to give me back the original drivers because he was worried that they might end up in the wrong headphones. No doubt someone did exactly that and Joe knew it.

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #34 of 81
"Audiophile" wise the DT770/80. I didn't really care for them at all. They did have a redeeming quality though with movies and games but for music eww. The worst is definitely a dollar store earbud.

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #35 of 81
An old pair of Koss headphones that I bought 25 years ago. Auditioning them was impossible...and breaking the clamshell ( the fact that they were in a clamshell  should have been warning enough ) open made it impossible to return. I forget the model number...

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #37 of 81
CX300 is at least better than your stock earbud when you use the double flange tip..

im looking for a mod to make a CX300 less bassy...

Oct 24, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #38 of 81

Quote:
Sennheiser cx300.Sadly bought them in the Czech Republic so they were almost $100,no audition.

ok i don't think that the cx300s sound bad, but they are not worth more than $25

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #39 of 81
Rays, that's cruel..your friend seemed perfectly happy with his skullcandies...j/k I was also perfectly happy with my previous cans, senn hd280s, until I heard the heavenly sounds coming from a fellow head-fier's ear max and hd650 combo. I feel like I'm on an endless journey now to rediscover that sound... anyways, my vote for worst sounding headphones for the price is the dr. dre beats. I know it's cliche to dog on the beats, but they sounded really bad and muddy when I tried them at a bestbuy, and felt like the $300 price tag was robbery.

Oct 24, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #40 of 81
My wife gave me an old pair of Pioneer closed phones from the '80 when we were dating.  They sounded like crap and felt like a vise on my head.  Fortunately, she didn't get offended.

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #43 of 81

Quote:
The Triport.

It sounds godawful.

Even worse, it pretends to be a "high end" headphone.

Triport is pretty bad, but not the worst by any means. Maybe you just have a personal vendetta against it
wink.gif
I've heard lots of terrible 15rmb earbuds, but those don't really count as serious headphones. The worst serious headphones I ever heard were the skullcandy skullcrushers and beats by dr dre

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #44 of 81
crapple earbuds and JVC gummys...I plug them in every once in a while and give them a good listening, the sound surely soothes thy soul...(purely for justifying keeping phones worth a couple hundred around) anybody do this too, or am I just weird...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back