Worst Fanboys?
Dec 1, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #331 of 636
In defense of most of those reccomendations, they admit the m50's/HFI 580's/etc. are better overall, but the $30 investment on the Panasonics make them worth checking out for people looking for a good bassy headphone.  I've never seen anyone say that $30 headphones were flat out better than $150 cans, rather, that they compete with them in terms of enjoyment.

Quote:
Because it doesn't make sense how a $30 headphone can be better then budget champions at $150.

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #332 of 636
Perhaps, our standard is getting worse with the influx of new comers. That's why I only trust headphones reviews that compare the new contenters with some veterans like HD600, D2000 or even M50s.

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #333 of 636

Quote:
Because it doesn't make sense how a $30 headphone can be better then budget champions at $150.

It also depends of the country, lol

In France HTF600 = 60-70 euros, Hfi580 = 110-125 euros, as example.

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #334 of 636

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed the flavor of the month headphones keep getting cheaper and cheaper? It's kind of annoying when someone recommends a $40 headphone over a $150 headphone.

I have seen the panasonic htf600 voted over the ath m50. I call BS.

I'm curious, have you tried the HTF600?  I don't think I like them as much as some people do, but they definitely sound far better than the $30 I spent on them.  There's a whole thread full of people who agree, and a whole bunch of people who find M50s to be overrated.  I haven't heard the M50, but based on numerous descriptions I imagine I would like them, but probably not enough to spend the $160 they tend to go for these days.

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #335 of 636

Quote:
Bah, I try not to be a fanboy nor an anti-brand, this article was a pleasant lecture: http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/05/19/fanboyism-and-brand-loyalty/

Fanboyism:
The Misconception: You prefer the things you own over the things you don’t because you made rational choices when we bought them.
The Truth: You prefer the things you own because you rationalize your past choices to protect your sense of self.

Well it's not like we do not know about that, but always nice to remind :p

Very interesting article. I'd say the fanboys that annoy me the most are xbox360 and ps3 fanboys. This is most apparent on websites like ign where fanboys of one system will give extremely low and unwarranted user reviews to games of another system. I am very grateful to be in a position where I have some money to play around with and have bought both systems. I think the internet has definitely made these rivalries worse. When I was a wee lad, none of my friends' families could afford the Turbo Grafx 16 or Neo Geo home consoles. They were something we all looked upon as unobtainable - and we only revered such things.  As an adult I went back and bought these older consoles and games that I never played as a child and have a blast playing them. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #336 of 636
Quote:
then why are we surprised when FOTMs are getting cheaper and cheaper?

I could not care less. What sounds good to me has value given its value can be subjectively measured on price/performance by me or anyone I trust. 

I just picked up the Philips SHP6000. Aside from the fact it is say fifty euros it sounds like a extra refined K518 without burn in. The packaging is correct: it indeed has serious bass and for a V-shaped sound signature oriented headphone sounds very pleasant. The deep bass is fast and deep, midbass bump with slightly confined mids, sparkly yet pleasant highs and a fit and finish that is quality and almost flawless. In short: this thing just rocked my world for its price/performance ratio and almost makes me forget my lovely K181... 

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #339 of 636
If talking about headphones the worst I have seen is either Beats or if not then Android/iOS fanboys oh boy are they terrible.

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #340 of 636

Quote:
Quote:
I could not care less. What sounds good to me has value given its value can be subjectively measured on price/performance by me or anyone I trust. 

I just picked up the Philips SHP6000. Aside from the fact it is say fifty euros it sounds like a extra refined K518 without burn in. The packaging is correct: it indeed has serious bass and for a V-shaped sound signature oriented headphone sounds very pleasant. The deep bass is fast and deep, midbass bump with slightly confined mids, sparkly yet pleasant highs and a fit and finish that is quality and almost flawless. In short: this thing just rocked my world for its price/performance ratio and almost makes me forget my lovely K181... 

oh im not saying theres anything wrong with it. i was just responding to another.  i meant that lower priced things sound good but for the most part, we jump to the higher priced things thinking they are better. i am guilty and probably wouldnt be happy with the great value headphones as im just that sort of idiot. i can totally see how various cheaper priced options are appealing to more and more people

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #341 of 636
Not everything with a high price tag is worth its price. The introduction price of the HD800 for example was a farce in my opinion. A 'classic' AKG or 'rare' Sony is just as good regarding the function. A few weeks ago a used CD900 ST was one sale somewhere for 70 euros. I had to control myself given I am content with my current collection of headphones. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #343 of 636

Quote:
Of course I understand the need for headphones. But you avoided my question in the last two sentences... I'm anxious to hear a reply to it from a musician, because this is something I experience every time with an acoustic quartet.

I don't understand your question. Which instrument would you be referring to? It's a bit too open ended and too general. I can tell you some of the jazz recordings I have the trombone or bass sax sounds very real and in proper proportion with say the LCD-2s, but almost in another room with say the ER-4P or K701.

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #344 of 636

Quote:

Cause more than likely the $150 ones are overpriced. A lot of people do it, not only here, but in life in general. They see $150 and assume it HAS to sound better than something that costs $30. That isn't always the case. And I don't know how much R&D goes into headphones, or what it cost to manufacture them, but I doubt the $150 ones cost $120 more to develop than the $30 ones. A lot of times you are simply paying for the headphone to have a certain brand name slapped on it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back