Worst Fanboys?
Dec 1, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #319 of 636
Has anyone else noticed the flavor of the month headphones keep getting cheaper and cheaper? It's kind of annoying when someone recommends a $40 headphone over a $150 headphone.

I have seen the panasonic htf600 voted over the ath m50. I call BS.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #321 of 636
That's because sound signature matters a whole lot more to most people than technical refinement. For example, there are only a handful of high-end portable headphones I'm willing to shelve my Portapros for.

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #323 of 636
The Portapros are nice be it with a bit less sparkle than the PX200 II. If I would not mind the noise around me I would trade my K181 for one of those. Those little headphones are in my opinion the best headphone purchases you can make, period. As I am writing this I am considering buying those small wonders just in case I meet someone ravaging his/her hearing with ear buds which do not isolate and are turned up way too loud. 

I find it annoying to encounter the leaking ear bud sound systems, especially in public transport. It is why I went for the more isolating headphone. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #324 of 636
Bah, I try not to be a fanboy nor an anti-brand, this article was a pleasant lecture: http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/05/19/fanboyism-and-brand-loyalty/

Fanboyism:
The Misconception: You prefer the things you own over the things you don’t because you made rational choices when we bought them.
The Truth: You prefer the things you own because you rationalize your past choices to protect your sense of self.

Well it's not like we do not know about that, but always nice to remind :p

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #325 of 636

Quote:
No argument here that a good speaker setup smokes any headphone period. My issue, I've got 2 young kids (3 and 7) who go to bed at 8pm...so speaker listening is out for me. That's kinda why I found this place years ago.

Or a Grado headphone.
tongue.gif

Of course I understand the need for headphones. But you avoided my question in the last two sentences... I'm anxious to hear a reply to it from a musician, because this is something I experience every time with an acoustic quartet.

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #326 of 636

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed the flavor of the month headphones keep getting cheaper and cheaper? It's kind of annoying when someone recommends a $40 headphone over a $150 headphone.

I have seen the panasonic htf600 voted over the ath m50. I call BS.

we will continue to see that great sound canc ome from cheap gear. the fact that we have 1000$ amps and headphones are to get that last 10-20% sq that really isnt necessary.  for most, if they purchased stuff around 100-300$ and left headfi, they could probably be happy for a while. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #327 of 636
Quote:
we will continue to see that great sound canc ome from cheap gear. the fact that we have 1000$ amps and headphones are to get that last 10-20% sq that really isnt necessary.  for most, if they purchased stuff around 100-300$ and left headfi, they could probably be happy for a while. 

We all know that...

A good audio set up does not have to be über expensive.

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #330 of 636

Quote:
then why are we surprised when FOTMs are getting cheaper and cheaper?

Because it doesn't make sense how a $30 headphone can be better then budget champions at $150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back