Worst Fanboys?
Nov 30, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #271 of 636

Noooo, it's fake bass! Go to an acoustic live venue (unamplified) and you actually hear that the acoustic double bass is subdued relative to many other instruments. Most often it's the hi-hat or crash cymbal of a drum set that jumps out at you (not to mention brass), at least if played to a larger crowd, and bass becomes almost inaudible. This turns around on the mixing table, however. 

Why are you so afraid of hearing the top harmonics? At all? 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
I want to hear the entire spectrum not just the treble.
bigsmile_face.gif

With regards to live music, I used to play in a live jazz band for about 15 years (on the side) and have attended many live performances
wink.gif
....and the drums had real bass not just rumours of bass. Listen to say someone using a jackhammer on your beloved ER-4Ps and tell me that's how it sounds (credit to rthymdevils for this one).
tongue.gif

IMO it all depends on where we are in the venue, the venue itself, and how we hear which is differently.

Nov 30, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #272 of 636

Quote:
I want to hear the entire spectrum not just the treble.
bigsmile_face.gif

With regards to live music, I used to play in a live jazz band for about 15 years (on the side) and have attended many live performances
wink.gif
....and the drums had real bass not just rumours of bass. Listen to say someone using a jackhammer on your beloved ER-4Ps and tell me that's how it sounds (credit to rthymdevils for this one).
tongue.gif

Of course, but it'd be ridiculous to claim that the LCD-2 could touch that feeling you get from real drums. I have a great speaker set, which I'm sure you wouldn't like, but they come closer to live presentation than any headphone. I remember when I was listening to Ron Carter with his band play in a larger hall, but quite up close, and it was almost impossible to distinct his play admidst the rest of his quartet. Same goes to the many live performances I see every week (my girlfriend studies in a pop/jazz conservatory so I get to listen to a lot of different setups in different rooms, but I'm still no expert). Disregarding drums and how they sound, how loud or clear would you say an acoustic bass or another melodic unamplified instrument, that goes low, would play relative to other instruments in a standard quartet, for instance? I'd genuinely like to hear your take on this, since you claim to have experience as a musician (rare here 
tongue_smile.gif
). 

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #275 of 636
Nov 30, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #276 of 636

Quote:

That I don't get, why?  I'm a T50RP owner, not modder, but I can understand the reason why they are so popular to mod.  What great technology, at a great price, combined with a simple design that lends itself to being easily tweaked.

Because they're cheap, and T50RP owners are calling them giant killers and constantly comparing them to more expensive models. I haven't tried the T50rp or the LCD-2 at all yet, so I can't tell if Summit-fiers are butthurt for overpaying, or if the modders are just over-hyping a FOTM.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #277 of 636

Quote:
Because they're cheap, and T50RP owners are calling them giant killers and constantly comparing them to more expensive models. I haven't tried the T50rp or the LCD-2 at all yet, so I can't tell if Summit-fiers are butthurt for overpaying, or if the modders are just over-hyping a FOTM.

Saved me typing an explanation. Many thanks.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #278 of 636

Quote:

I've heard both and the T50rp came close to LCD-2 and slaughtered the Grados i've heard.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #279 of 636

Quote:

Ahh, that makes sense.  The T50RP's have been popular for way too long to fairly be called a FOTM though.  At worst, they're a FOTY.
wink.gif

Someone earlier mentioned that FOTM fanboys are the worst.  I think excessive hype for low-performing products can be a bit annoying, but it only bothers me if the hype goes beyond enthusiasm for a value and becomes horribly misleading.  The opposite aggravates me much more:  My least favorite fanboys are probably the "high end" fanboys who bow before price tags and dismiss less expensive alternatives offhand as "undoubtedly" inferior.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #280 of 636

Quote:
 the T50rp came close to LCD-2

That, to me, says the LCD-2 is pretty much a way overhyped headphone; as I own the T50RP and it's a pretty poor headphone stock to my ears (weak bass, damp treble, it's all mids, and a very stereo sound).

This is the kind of stuff my previous post in this thread pretty much is derived from.

Very best,

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #281 of 636

Quote:
That, to me, says the LCD-2 is pretty much a way overhyped headphone; as I own the T50RP and it's a pretty poor headphone stock to my ears (weak bass, damp treble, it's all mids, and a very stereo sound).

This is the kind of stuff my previous post in this thread pretty much is derived from.

Very best,

He's talking about a damped, modified T50rp.  They come stock with no damping in the cups whatsoever.  Which is like selling a car with no wheels.  The stock sound doesn't say much about their modfied sound. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #285 of 636

Quote:
Have you actually owned an LCD-X?

Nope. Between it and the HE-500, I liked the HE-500 better for it's comfort and feel on my head.

Do you have a point? I don't have to own the LCD-X series to understand why it's compared to the modded T50RP and another Ortho is not. HeadFi this year is literally almost "LCD2-Fi.org"
wink_face.gif

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back