Worst $100 I ever spent
Feb 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #46 of 59

Quote:
Oh man. I made a thread about buying my first IEMs, and some suggested the S4i. Now I read this... :frowning2:

Sound is very personal, some people might absolutely hate one set of IEMS while others will think it's the greatest thing ever. It all depends on what you want in a set of headphones and of course, how well you can physically hear different frequencies. 

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #47 of 59

Quote:

Sound is very personal, some people might absolutely hate one set of IEMS while others will think it's the greatest thing ever. It all depends on what you want in a set of headphones and of course, how well you can physically hear different frequencies. 

Agree. Though if you like bass, you probably wouldn't go wrong with the Klipsch S4. And their mids are good to my ears too. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #51 of 59
The S4s are horrible for the price, no matter of preference as I'm sure I can point-out an IEM with a similar signature that is more capable. Can't believe those are still recommended. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #52 of 59
The sad fact is that in the under $100 price range what is available tends to have significant flaws and which flaws one is willing to live with generally determines which one is best for you. Ironically, that means you have to do more listening (where possible) and research than for more expensive IEM's. It also means more diversity of opinion here on headfi.

When you get into the circa $300 dollar range, things like the Sony EX-1000, FAD "Heaven" models, Ortofon EQ-7, JVC FX-700 etc. all do have their own sound signatures but aren't as flawed overall so it's harder to go wrong, most folks would be reasonably happy with any of these.

I am not saying it's not possible to get an under $100 IEM you won't love, just that it's harder to determine what that would be for you.

Kevin

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #53 of 59
I think if you liked your UE 3s, you should just go for the UE 700s. Not only are they a huge improvement on the UE 3s sound, they are also much more mobile and comfortable, being not much larger than jelly beans.

Lots of uneducated and uninformed members will bash their durability, but it's been vastly improved since the new revision. Catch them around $110 and you got yourself a great deal.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #55 of 59
I consider the Klipsch S4 my "worst" IEM mistake under $100 as well, with the Hippo VB coming in second. I liked the S4's fun signature at first but over time the overzealous bass and top end harshness made me sell them. The Hippo VB's on the other hand while sounding much better, I couldn't get used to their driver flex issues and an overall grainy sound.

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #56 of 59

Quote:
The S4s are horrible for the price, no matter of preference as I'm sure I can point-out an IEM with a similar signature that is more capable. Can't believe those are still recommended. 

Well, different people have different tastes. I personally don't like the S4 too, but there are many people that like it, it isn't fair to say an IEM is horrible just because you hate it. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #57 of 59

Quote:
I consider the Klipsch S4 my "worst" IEM mistake under $100 as well, with the Hippo VB coming in second. I liked the S4's fun signature at first but over time the overzealous bass and top end harshness made me sell them. The Hippo VB's on the other hand while sounding much better, I couldn't get used to their driver flex issues and an overall grainy sound.

Well, S4 is not an IEM that can please everyone, especially audiophiles, but many consumers looking for a comfortable, light and bassy IEM may find them good. Well, just saying... 

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #58 of 59
RE-0, get a second hand pair off the classifieds. Best neutral IEM under $100 to start with. And responds well to amping.

I already got 2 pairs, just in case one goes kaput. No issues so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back