Worst $100 I ever spent
Feb 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #31 of 59
I used the lulzy ipod EQ on my S4s to decrease the bass which I thought made them sound a lot better. They're not great though, and the soundstage is the worst I've heard in an IEM. And I dont get why people say they're so comfortable. Those oval tips irritate my ears with extended use.

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #34 of 59

Defintion of "street price"   

"The average or usual (or sometimes the lowest available) price charged for a product, especially one that is rarely sold at the manufacturer ’ s suggested retail price, if any. The street price is commonly cited in magazine reviews of personal [size=inherit]computershttp://www.answers.com/topic/street-price#[/size] and their peripherals, whose price varies widely depending on the retail outlet."

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/street-price#ixzz1msxNRyv

You should read that a few times before you quote it again. By your definition street price would literally mean buying off the street from the back of a van or something.

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #35 of 59

Grado SR80i's paired with the G-Cushions have incredible detail, bigger soundstage. Definitely worth the upgrade. Still under your $200 budget.

Lol I already have a set of SR80's. (not the i model) I like them, but they are way too up front for a lot of things I listen to. IMO they have way too much emphasis on treble, and the sound stage although above average, is still not as wide as my UE3's or Sony's. Love love love them for classic rock though.  Plus, Grado's don't isolate sound at all and bleed it way too much to be used on the go. Also I stated before that I am looking for IEMs NOT fullsize/earpads.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #36 of 59
Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #37 of 59
Add up all the POS "bargain" IEM's I decided to try on a whim until you reach $100.00.

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #38 of 59

Quote:
Check out the Sony EX600. Good for the genres you listen to, and with a fantastic soundstage. Check out Joker's review in his huge IEM review thread. If you search for them in Google Shopping you'll find several stores selling them for about $130.

I'll second that recommendation.  At first I wasn't very wow'ed with them, but after about a week in I found the EX600 to be a great value at $130.  Ultimately I did not prefer the way they fit, but as far as sound they were very nice.

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #39 of 59

Quote:
Allow me to disagree. In a direct comparison, my lowly Meelec M6 sounded better than the S4. What I got from the S4 was just muddy, boomy sound. I'm sure this wasn't a faulty set because I encountered the same thing on 2 separate occasions with 2 different sets of S4s. They shouldn't be worth more than $30...in my opinion.

The M6 is a different sound signature though.  I also prefer the M6 s/s to the S4, but..that's not really a fair comparison.  

Eh, I don't know why I'm defending the S4, I can't stand boomy and lingering unclean bass either.  I thought they were better than the original Turbines though ..thank God for return periods (for both of those).. 

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #40 of 59

Quote:

The M6 is a different sound signature though.  I also prefer the M6 s/s to the S4, but..that's not really a fair comparison.  

Eh, I don't know why I'm defending the S4, I can't stand boomy and lingering unclean bass either.  I thought they were better than the original Turbines though ..thank God for return periods (for both of those).. 

I know it's a different sound sig but quality is quality 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #41 of 59

Quote:
I know it's a different sound sig but quality is quality 
rolleyes.gif

Unless you're the person seeking bass centric headphones and don't want to spend more money on quicker, better quality bass, etc etc.  

Then the S4s (when they came out) would of been a good option, while the M6 would be laughed at and lacking etc etc.  

We're not like normal people.....    

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #42 of 59

Quote:
Unless you're the person seeking bass centric headphones and don't want to spend more money on quicker, better quality bass, etc etc.  

Then the S4s (when they came out) would of been a good option, while the M6 would be laughed at and lacking etc etc.  

We're not like normal people.....    

Haha true. However, back then the M6 was the bestest earphone I had ever heard in my whole entire life, and lolz wut iz head-fi? I probably went overboard there... but I was just trying to say that even with my lack of experience, I could still tell that the S4 just wasn't that good.

Feb 20, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #43 of 59

Quote:
Allow me to disagree. In a direct comparison, my lowly Meelec M6 sounded better than the S4. What I got from the S4 was just muddy, boomy sound. I'm sure this wasn't a faulty set because I encountered the same thing on 2 separate occasions with 2 different sets of S4s. They shouldn't be worth more than $30...in my opinion.

Well, I hate the bass on the S4s too. But I somehow like their mids. (when they're not interrupted by the bass) 

Feb 20, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #44 of 59

Quote:

Wow, you found the S4 better than the original turbines? I thought the Turbines was levels ahead (better bass + highs), but it's all about preference, so yeah. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back