Worst $100 I ever spent
Feb 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

homsar57

Head-Fier
So about a year ago I was in the market for some new IEMs around $100 and wound up buying a set of Klipsch Image s4's. I had heard a lot of good things about them from multiple sources and many of my friends recommended them to me from personal experience. I was fed up with the ungainly fit of my Ultimate Ears Super fi 3's so I really wanted something comfortable- an attribute I kept hearing over and over again with the Klipsch's. Also being somewhat of a metal-head I gravitated towards them due to they're touted bass response. So I bought a pair.

Never in my life have I been so unsatisfied with an audio purchase. At first listen the treble was so harsh I had to put them down after ten minutes- I figured they just needed a little burn in so I let them do so for about 2 days straight. Long story short, after a year of ownership and more burn in than that I still cannot stand these things. The treble is harsh and grainy sounding, the mid-range, although smooth, is so clouded by bass it's not very clear, and the bass is awful. It's not very deep (doesn't hit very hard), not particularly accurate, and not tight at all. Most annoying to me though is the sound stage-or lack thereof. Unlike the UE's or my set of full size headphones, my Sony MDR-V6's- which I absolutely love btw, the Klipsch's sound squished into their enclosures. To boot they don't fit comfortably in my ears and they barely isolate anything-even with a proper fit. In fact, these IEM's sound so bad to me I'd almost think they were a fake- except I bought them at the Apple store. (which I never will go to again for audio purchases)  As much as I hate wearing my UE 3's (especially with glasses on) I MUCH prefer them to the Klipch's. So there's my rant, sorry about that. 

Now obviously I'm looking to replace them, so I'd like a few suggestions. In addition to metal, I listen to a lot of indie, folk, blues, and alternative. I'd like something a step or 2 above the super fi 3's I own, but under $200 (under $150 would be better), and a set that doesn't require too much amplification; basically nothing a Fiio e5 can't handle. Source is a Zune HD for reference.

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 59

Quote:
So about a year ago I was in the market for some new IEMs around $100 and wound up buying a set of Klipsch Image s4's. I had heard a lot of good things about them from multiple sources and many of my friends recommended them to me from personal experience. I was fed up with the ungainly fit of my Ultimate Ears Super fi 3's so I really wanted something comfortable- an attribute I kept hearing over and over again with the Klipsch's. Also being somewhat of a metal-head I gravitated towards them due to they're touted bass response. So I bought a pair.

Never in my life have I been so unsatisfied with an audio purchase. At first listen the treble was so harsh I had to put them down after ten minutes- I figured they just needed a little burn in so I let them do so for about 2 days straight. Long story short, after a year of ownership and more burn in than that I still cannot stand these things. The treble is harsh and grainy sounding, the mid-range, although smooth, is so clouded by bass it's not very clear, and the bass is awful. It's not very deep (doesn't hit very hard), not particularly accurate, and not tight at all. Most annoying to me though is the sound stage-or lack thereof. Unlike the UE's or my set of full size headphones, my Sony MDR-V6's- which I absolutely love btw, the Klipsch's sound squished into their enclosures. To boot they don't fit comfortably in my ears and they barely isolate anything-even with a proper fit. In fact, these IEM's sound so bad to me I'd almost think they were a fake- except I bought them at the Apple store. (which I never will go to again for audio purchases)  As much as I hate wearing my UE 3's (especially with glasses on) I MUCH prefer them to the Klipch's. So there's my rant, sorry about that. 

Now obviously I'm looking to replace them, so I'd like a few suggestions. In addition to metal, I listen to a lot of indie, folk, blues, and alternative. I'd like something a step or 2 above the super fi 3's I own, but under $200 (under $150 would be better), and a set that doesn't require too much amplification; basically nothing a Fiio e5 can't handle. Source is a Zune HD for reference.

Definitely the worst $100 you've ever spent. Their street value is about $40.

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 59

Quote:

Where are you getting that price? They currently go for $70-$80 on Amazon, Crutchfield and other sites. A year ago these were $100 across the board. 

That's why it's called street price. You don't buy it from the big retailers or marketplaces.

It's like saying CX300-IIs go for $100 at Best Buy, so that should be their street price. If you go to one of the specialized headphone stores you'll probably find them for much less.

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 59

Quote:

That's why it's called street price. You don't buy it from the big retailers or marketplaces.

It's like saying CX300-IIs go for $100 at Best Buy, so that should be their street price. If you go to one of the specialized headphone stores you'll probably find them for much less.

I.....might be buying all my stuff at the wrong places...

Where should I be looking? 

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #10 of 59

Quote:
I.....might be buying all my stuff at the wrong places...

Where should I be looking? 

That's the problem. You have to start looking yourself, or ask around for good sources. Since you're buying a well-known brand however, your best bet is browsing reputable online distributors.

Don't tell you've thought the CX300-IIs were worth $100. Even 4 years ago they were going for little more than $20. Even so, the manufacturer is likely to be making a profit at the street price. Like what they say, the house always wins.

The S4s have been around since 2009, so it'll be a while before their prices go down, but it's pretty much guaranteed that at some point they'll be going for $40 or less on Amazon.

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 59

Quote:
I really want to recommend the GR07 since it's ideal for the genres you listed, but they're at the very top of your budget on Amazon. What artists do you listen to the most?

Are those Grado's? If they're anything like my SR80's I'm hesitant to buy them. Granted they sound fantastic for rock and metal; but I find they are way too in my face for a lot of other things I listen to. I listen to tons of stuff- Fleet Foxes, Fruit Bats, City and Colour, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Opeth, Dream Theater, Nightwish, The Fratellis, and Joe Bonamassa among many, many others. I'll sometimes listen to stuff like Pendulum, but never hip hop and certainly not rap. I love my UE's and Sony's because they are so good all-around, this doesn't strike me as a Grado trait. I could be wrong though; I've never heard any of their IEM's in person, and from my understanding the SR80's are more up front than some of their other models. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #12 of 59

Quote:
Are those Grado's? If they're anything like my SR80's I'm hesitant to buy them. Granted they sound fantastic for rock and metal; but I find they are way too in my face for a lot of other things I listen to. I listen to tons of stuff- Fleet Foxes, Fruit Bats, City and Colour, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Opeth, Dream Theater, Nightwish, The Fratellis, and Joe Bonamassa among many, many others. I'll sometimes listen to stuff like Pendulum, but never hip hop and certainly not rap. 

Nope. They're Vsonic. Here's my review of them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/572175/vsonic-gr07-perfection

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #14 of 59

Quote:

Nope. They're Vsonic. Here's my review of them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/572175/vsonic-gr07-perfection

Oh, I've never heard of those. I'll have to check those out. The GR prefix had me confused
tongue.gif

Quote:
Shure SE215 without a doubt. earphonesolutions + coupon is the best way of getting them about $85

I've heard alot of complaints about the cables tearing on these guys, is this a real problem? 

Also guys, I love a good sound stage and imaging; how do both of these fare in that regard?

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #15 of 59
Check out the Sony EX600. Good for the genres you listen to, and with a fantastic soundstage. Check out Joker's review in his huge IEM review thread. If you search for them in Google Shopping you'll find several stores selling them for about $130.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back