Worried about college
Aug 14, 2008 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rockin_amigo14

Headphoneus Supremus
Well I'll be a freshman at Towson University in the fall. I move in on the 28th.

I'm currently listed as a double major in Acting and American Studies. What scares me is that the American Studies degree appears to be more useless than I originally perceived. I mean, it's a topic that really interests me and I'm sure I'll have a great time in the classes, but I'm not sure if it's worth anything.

Granted that Towson isn't the most respected University around, but I feel like maybe I should maybe try a major that's, I don't know, not going to screw me over? I'm doing Acting because I love acting, not because I want the degree.

Am I just being paranoid or do I have valid fears? Can anyone offer advice?

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 16
Talk to a professor in the dept. of American Studies and ask what kind of work graduates from that program eventually get into. There's certainly something to be said for taking a degree purely in order to enrich your mind. However, I know several people who have done that only to go back for a second bachelor's degree after they finished the first one and realized that now it's time to figure out what they want to do for the rest of their lives.

Why not go into engineering and design headphone amps?

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 16
You need to make a decision. I went through a similar thing, but made up my mind before I got to the whole "double major" thing. Basically, my choice was whether to do music as a career or chemistry. I love both, and honestly, music is my greatest passion in life... but in the end I realized that trying to compete in the music world right now is just insane and that going through with chemistry and getting a permanent, stable job was the best thing to do. Why did I do this? Well, honestly, I realized that music will always be there for me, and I'll still be able to enjoy playing clarinet in community bands along with my various other instruments, and that chemistry fulfills a certain intellectual part of my life that I love to stimulate. Now that I've had an internship in the industry, I've realized even more why my decision was the right one. I would go to work and do chemistry during the day, then go to community band practices at night and do concerts on the weekends. It was a bit crazy, so crazy that my sleep schedule was on the verge of complete insanity... but would I do it again? Absolutely!

At any rate, what I came out of this whole experience is that making a hard decision on what you want to do in life is the way to go, and it does not rule out you continuing to further your interest in another subject.

Hope this helps, and don't be nervous about college! College is the most relaxed, fun time I've had in my whole life, although the academics get a bit stressful at times.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by falke401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were you I would cut all the crap and just do what you think you will like and will make money.

i wish it were that simple. from those i've talked to, people go all their lives and still not know what they want to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why not go into engineering and design headphone amps?

i hate numbers. engineering is not for me. i'll leave that to people with integrity
tongue.gif

i was thinking about sending an e-mail to the American Studies advisor.

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently listed as a double major in Acting and American Studies. What scares me is that the American Studies degree appears to be more useless than I originally perceived. I mean, it's a topic that really interests me and I'm sure I'll have a great time in the classes, but I'm not sure if it's worth anything.

Granted that Towson isn't the most respected University around, but I feel like maybe I should maybe try a major that's, I don't know, not going to screw me over? I'm doing Acting because I love acting, not because I want the degree.

Am I just being paranoid or do I have valid fears? Can anyone offer advice?

To be honest, you're probably going to find that an American Studies degree is not going to open a lot of doors for you. Couple that with a university that "isn't the most respected" (your words -- I've never heard of the institution) and you'll probably find that your degree will not have a high return on investment.

That may not matter to you, particularly if you come from a family with significant financial resources (so this isn't a big expense) or if you have a full scholarship. But it does cost several years of your life. This is something to think about anyway. With this kind of undergraduate degree, you'll probably have to go on to either graduate school or a professional school (law, MBA, dentistry, etc.) or a trade school (welding, plumbing, carpentry, etc.) if you're looking to get into a "career" after you finish your education.

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 16
rockin_amigo14;4605405 said:
i wish it were that simple. from those i've talked to, people go all their lives and still not know what they want to do.

QUOTE]

I understand that, but you might as well get an education that will help you make some money till you figure out what you want to do.
Its better than being tens of thousands of dollars in student loans and cant get a job becuase you majored in some fluffy subject like basket weaving.

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 16
I think a double major of acting and American Studies is fascinating. You will have a fine, interesting liberal education. I majored in Statistics ... quick, who would people rather have dinner with?

Upon graduation you can teach, while picking a 2 or 3 year grad program that interests you (maybe you go at night instead) -- like Education, which then lets you teach at top private schools and colleges, or as others suggested, Law, or Communications (a natural with acting).

Like MD1032 says (and he is a fine young man, we have met, I'm sure his family is very proud of him) ENJOY college, relax, get into learning and reading great books. Do what you love, love what you do, and I assure you material success will follow. Trust me on this.

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 16
In my university the liberal arts majors are always ragging on the people in professional programs like engineering or accounting that they are just going to school to train to do work (hence 'missing out' on the whole higher learning deal), but there definitely is some worth in that.

It would be best to speak with a career adviser at your uni familiar with the programs, that way you can decide on a path that suits your personality and aptitudes. If you have a gameplan for a professional school after your undergrad, then take what ever you want, but if you do not, then seriously look at changing majors to something that has a clear if not direct professional application.

Bravo for thinking so far ahead, it certainly isn't paranoid! Also, being in 1st year there will be opportunities to change programs, since the first courses are very common amongst all the programs in a faculty. Later on is when things get very difficult, so remember to not dither!

best of luck!

Aug 14, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to make a decision. I went through a similar thing, but made up my mind before I got to the whole "double major" thing. Basically, my choice was whether to do music as a career or chemistry. I love both, and honestly, music is my greatest passion in life... but in the end I realized that trying to compete in the music world right now is just insane and that going through with chemistry and getting a permanent, stable job was the best thing to do. Why did I do this? Well, honestly, I realized that music will always be there for me, and I'll still be able to enjoy playing clarinet in community bands along with my various other instruments, and that chemistry fulfills a certain intellectual part of my life that I love to stimulate. Now that I've had an internship in the industry, I've realized even more why my decision was the right one. I would go to work and do chemistry during the day, then go to community band practices at night and do concerts on the weekends. It was a bit crazy, so crazy that my sleep schedule was on the verge of complete insanity... but would I do it again? Absolutely!

At any rate, what I came out of this whole experience is that making a hard decision on what you want to do in life is the way to go, and it does not rule out you continuing to further your interest in another subject.

Hope this helps, and don't be nervous about college! College is the most relaxed, fun time I've had in my whole life, although the academics get a bit stressful at times.
smily_headphones1.gif

Pretty much my experience, too. I was deeply involved in several bands and community orchestra and even got some encouragement to study music in college. I did go for a liberal arts degree - English - but intended to go to law school after for a "real" job. Which I did. Didn't intend to go back a third time for accounting, but I'm glad I did. Weirdly, I enjoyed the tax and estate planning classes, ended up getting my best grades in accounting and actually did well in business calculus. I had no idea.

In high school, we had a career day with a lecture by a CPA. Nice guy, but I remember thinking "no way in hell." Heh.

Anyhow, you'll probably enjoy acting and American Studies the rest of your life. But you don't know yet what else you like. And I promise you, there is something else you're going to love. Take a closer look at the "hard" degrees, like science, math, engineering, accounting. There is enjoyment and fulfillment to be had there. Also consider laying plans for grad school. You might be able to have fun in undergrad (I sure did
very_evil_smiley.gif
) and head off for business, law, medicine, or many other professional degrees later.

Aug 14, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #12 of 16
undergrad degree is the new high school degree. really consider a masters or phd if you are looking for a high tier position. good news is you get to enjoy and work hard towards your personal subject of interest in undergrad. distinguishing marks and awards will get you into a good grad program. bad news is your education is going to be much more costly, and your career will be postponed. but should be worth it, and is often necessary.

Aug 14, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i actually had a talk with my dad and it looks like a good idea to keep grad/law school as an open idea. i never disliked the idea but never really considered it either.

One other factor to keep in mind is that for some grad school programs you may be at a disadvantage when applying if you come from a university that isn't known for rigorous academics in your field. This doesn't apply to law and most MBA programs, etc. which have standardized tests to assess your ability. But anything humanities-related or science-related may look at this when assessing your application and comparing it against the other applicants. So you should be sure to keep your marks high to compensate. Also, it might be good to be studying a field where if you don't get into grad school, you'll still be okay career-wise.

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #14 of 16
Regardless of major, the fact that you worry means that you care. You're already WAY ahead of the curve because of that alone. I'm not worried for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #15 of 16
Your anxiety is a rite of passage for all of us who have gone through college. I also wanted music, but then realized I was not good enough to make a good living out of it and went for the health sciences, which I really enjoy and give me financial freedom to enjoy music on the side.
We have made our children to take science classes in college, including Calc, Chem, Bio, O Chem etc. That way if they realize they want to do something else they can always change majors and still have the sciences under their belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back