Worried about college
Aug 15, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #16 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Csidinim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
undergrad degree is the new high school degree. really consider a masters or phd if you are looking for a high tier position. good news is you get to enjoy and work hard towards your personal subject of interest in undergrad. distinguishing marks and awards will get you into a good grad program. bad news is your education is going to be much more costly, and your career will be postponed. but should be worth it, and is often necessary.

Honestly, I partially disagree. I think the "need" for a PhD is completely dependent on your field. For me, in Chemistry, PhD's are basically the standard, whereas for my Engineering friends, their BS from Virginia Tech can basically land them a nice job anywhere. Heck, our fields aren't all that dissimilar, but that's the way it is. Honestly, I can't say what it's like on the liberal arts side of things as I'm not sure what kind of job you get as a liberal arts major. My political science major friend with his Bachelor's ended up with a nice sales job, oddly, and it's just fine for him.

Really, doing a PhD or not is the kind of thing you need to make up your mind about once you get to college, do some internships, and get a "feel" for things. I had no idea whether or not I wanted (or needed) a PhD before college, and now that I've had an internship and gone through two years, I've found the answer is a resounding yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back