World's first portable Hybrid Valve Headphone Amplifier (with a footprint smaller than most cellphones).
Dec 12, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #121 of 181
Bah was hoping this was bumped due to shipping. Last update looked like Martin was nearly there. Hope he ships soon woukd be awsome if it arrived before christmas, not only due to the looking forward to using this feeling but also as I am leaving the uk for 6 months!

Feb 20, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #123 of 181
so is this now being sold or what?

and from where and what is the latest verdict on this gear

Feb 20, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #124 of 181
The Kickstarter versions are being delivered now, and I should have one of the am/dac versions next week.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/970055861/hybrid-valve-headphone-amplifier/description

Podster has one with the amp only already.  He seems to like it.

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #125 of 181
  The Kickstarter versions are being delivered now, and I should have one of the am/dac versions next week.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/970055861/hybrid-valve-headphone-amplifier/description

Podster has one with the amp only already.  He seems to like it.

Going to up that to love it
biggrin.gif
 Got almost 60 hours play time on it and it's settling in quite nicely, it is delivering what I was hoping for and that is a little tube decay, of course being SS output instead of valve it's not guitar amp decay but she is delivering some sweet hang time with strings
wink_face.gif

Been jamming all day on the Rockets and I'm very pleased with Martin's amp, she's a saxy devil too
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #126 of 181

Going to up that to love it
biggrin.gif
 Got almost 60 hours play time on it and it's settling in quite nicely, it is delivering what I was hoping for and that is a little tube decay, of course being SS output instead of valve it's not guitar amp decay but she is delivering some sweet hang time with strings
wink_face.gif

Been jamming all day on the Rockets and I'm very pleased with Martin's amp, she's a saxy devil too
tongue_smile.gif

Moar details, please!:p

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #131 of 181
Just thought I'd pop in with initial thoughts after a couple of days with a finished unit - DAC and amp.

• It sounds  - subjectively to me - good, better than good, really good.  Very organic rich sound - not overly tubey - just clear, clean, but also natural (if that makes sense).
  • Plenty of power.  I'm getting some better specs from Martin for when I write the review but it seemed to handle the HD600 OK, and works really well with portable headphones and IEMs.
  • You can end up over-driving the tubes (into distortion) - we discovered that early on, and the biggest issue was trying to get a good balance between output power and usability.  So if using as a DAC (from PC etc), you need to put the output from the source at around 75% (rather than full bore). I've been using with Fiio products as well (DAPs) and now that they have variable line-out control, they are ideal to pair.  I was using around 75/120 it was working perfectly.  i could have run higher - but as I was running fairly efficient headphones at the time it was easier to have the line-out set lower.
  • It looks pretty neat - the fit and finish isn't "immaculate" but it is very good considering they are hand assembled.  Quality components throughout - and I've had some pretty interested people asking questions when they've seen it.
  • Very surprised - I used my iPhone 5S tonight with camera connector kit, and I'm currently listening to the iPhone as transport, but the valve amp's DAC and amp.  It's pretty neat!

More later.

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #132 of 181
  Just thought I'd pop in with initial thoughts after a couple of days with a finished unit - DAC and amp.

• It sounds  - subjectively to me - good, better than good, really good.  Very organic rich sound - not overly tubey - just clear, clean, but also natural (if that makes sense).
  • Plenty of power.  I'm getting some better specs from Martin for when I write the review but it seemed to handle the HD600 OK, and works really well with portable headphones and IEMs.
  • You can end up over-driving the tubes (into distortion) - we discovered that early on, and the biggest issue was trying to get a good balance between output power and usability.  So if using as a DAC (from PC etc), you need to put the output from the source at around 75% (rather than full bore). I've been using with Fiio products as well (DAPs) and now that they have variable line-out control, they are ideal to pair.  I was using around 75/120 it was working perfectly.  i could have run higher - but as I was running fairly efficient headphones at the time it was easier to have the line-out set lower.
  • It looks pretty neat - the fit and finish isn't "immaculate" but it is very good considering they are hand assembled.  Quality components throughout - and I've had some pretty interested people asking questions when they've seen it.
  • Very surprised - I used my iPhone 5S tonight with camera connector kit, and I'm currently listening to the iPhone as transport, but the valve amp's DAC and amp.  It's pretty neat!

More later.

Excellent, still waiting for mine, I chose to have Martin fit the DAC for me. I have some new toys to play with (hd800 and amp) while I wait, but have started really looking forward to this arriving in the last couple of weeks - so really appreciate some quick and dirty impressions :)

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #133 of 181
What type of battery life are we talking about for the NIMH battery?
Managed to source one of these on eBay and thought it was worth a punt.Serial number 153 if that means anything.

Charging it now but no information on when you know it is fully charged. There is a red light on so maybe that goes off when charges?

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #134 of 181
  What type of battery life are we talking about for the NIMH battery?
Managed to source one of these on eBay and thought it was worth a punt.Serial number 153 if that means anything.

Charging it now but no information on when you know it is fully charged. There is a red light on so maybe that goes off when charges?

There is a small green light that will light up next to the red one when fully charged.  Charging takes just under 4 hours from flat.  You should get 12 hours continuous use - depending on headphones.

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #135 of 181
Well I have to say this has proved disappointing.
You cannot use line out from your DAP as it clips.

Using headphones out doesn't really give you any decent soundstage. It sounds worse than using just the DAP itself.

Really cannot see a market for this. Lots better amps around for similar price such as Cayin C5 and Aune.
You want true valve then get the Fanclub BL2.

Will just bin this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back