World's first portable Hybrid Valve Headphone Amplifier (with a footprint smaller than most cellphones).
Apr 1, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #151 of 181
  I guess read comments from posters on the previous page.  I have no doubt there will be more come in over time.

I guess I'm struggling a bit with why you want to put an US $179 amp between an AK240 ($2500) and either a Layla ($2700) or HE1000 ($2999)

It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  What were you expecting?

Funny.  Is the answer - Because I can?  
deadhorse.gif

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #153 of 181
  @Brooko do you know if the tubes being used as the gain stage followed by the op amp as a unity gain buffer?

I'm pretty sure that is how Martin is doing it - but I'll double check and come back to you

Apr 18, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #155 of 181
Will do.

Apr 18, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #156 of 181
@Venture Guy

Reply from Martin 

No the OPA2134 op amp is not being used as a unity gain buffer. Unity amps have no gain and are used to match impedance. The Burr Brown OPA2134 was not intended as a unity amp and provides quite a lot of gain. Both valve and solid state sections provide gain to the signal path.

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #159 of 181
I have a friend who owns this, but its quite sad that they don't have any support for balanced output though. It would be great if there were an option for balanced output. This would be particularly useful for IEMs that use balanced cables and also headphones that use balanced cables. A 2.5mm Astell and Kern would probably be good enough. I'm currently using an Onkyo DP-X1.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #160 of 181
Maybe an option for Balanced Line out would be good too. It's a pity to have the high res USB- input option but having only Single Ended as the only output option. 
Either way, it looks like a great product!

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #161 of 181
So my amp will be here friday!!   Can people who own this amp post their setup and if any problems with the input distortion?  I will be using a ibasso dx80.  I love the sound of tubes!!!  

musicguy

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #162 of 181
  So my amp will be here friday!!   Can people who own this amp post their setup and if any problems with the input distortion?  I will be using a ibasso dx80.  I love the sound of tubes!!!  

musicguy

I would suggest use headphone out rather than line out unless you have variable line out.
Either that or get an attenuation cable.

Have to be honest I gave up in the end but others have had much better experiences.
Good luck.

Aug 18, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #163 of 181
Thanks for the input.  I will only be using this amp with my iem's.  No large headphones.  I tried the (DX80) headphone out with my oppo ha2.   Sounds the same as line out.  So I think i will be happy.   I know with my large headphone amps the tubes have that magic that makes music fun.  Thats what im looking for in this amp.

musicguy

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #164 of 181
Got the amp.  Wow,  With it turned on,  beautiful!!  Sound right out of the box.  ---Much smoother than a oppo ha2.   From peoples experience  burn in time?   Ive found the limits of input already.  Im just using my line out of my dx80.  Between the dx80 and amp volume i get the loudness i want,  clean sound.   Yes if you tap it,  you hear  the ringing.   Very sensitive to vibration.  But thats ok.  I normally sit at computer and read!!

Alo is 1400 dollars,  wo 8 1800.  I havent heard both of those but im totally happy with this valve amp.  Againist my Ha2 so much more rhythmic and energetic.   It has the magic sound of tubes.   Im using full 16 to 24 bit files.  No mp3 ********.  

Headphones in use are RHA t20.   These are new.  At least 100 hours.  .

musicguy.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back