World Homeopathy Awareness Week
Apr 14, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #16 of 63
Homeopathy disgusts me in many respects as folks disregard important medical opinions and treatments and rely on unproven treatments that, for the most part, usually end up being as effective as a similarly administered placebo.

When I had gallstones, one of my old teachers tried to turn me over to a homeopathic doctor to which I respectfully declined... After doing some research on the matter, apparently they have a technique that has you fast while consuming large amounts of apple juice and it has you pass the gallstones via a bowel movement... which apparently hurts a lot and will lead to them coming back anyhow.

Also, this reminds me of a lovely Futurama joke: YouTube - Homeopathic Medicine (Futurama)

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #17 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ayurveda is a completely different story, in my mind, and entirely unrelated to what makes homeopathy nonsense.

Totally agree. It seems though, that there are many uninformed people out there who seem to believe that both have similar backgrounds and principles. Utter bull, as anyone who has dealt with Ayurvedic medicine would know.

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #18 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally agree. It seems though, that there are many uninformed people out there who seem to believe that both have similar backgrounds and principles. Utter bull, as anyone who has dealt with Ayurvedic medicine would know.

Indeed. A civilization that has been in continuous existence for 5000+ years has a lot of time to develop reliable methods for treating human ailments.

I just remembered that homeopathy is taken pretty seriously in Germany. I worked at a pharma trademark safety testing firm for several years, and there were many "unusual" homeopathic-type trademark/chemical hits for name similarity. I hope we're not offending anyone here.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #22 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed. A civilization that has been in continuous existence for 5000+ years has a lot of time to develop reliable methods for treating human ailments.

I just remembered that homeopathy is taken pretty seriously in Germany. I worked at a pharma trademark safety testing firm for several years, and there were many "unusual" homeopathic-type trademark/chemical hits for name similarity. I hope we're not offending anyone here.

Heopathy is publicly funded un the UK, I'd say that's pretty serious, and completely ludicrous.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #23 of 63
I used to take the French homeopathic flu med, the one with the weird name, and it regularly took a cold or flu down in about 24 hours. Other homeopathic remedies were less impressive to me, but I had some amazing experiences with flower remedies, which are prepared much like homeopathics. I'm not talking about the Bach stuff...

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #24 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me get this straight... do some of you believe in Ayurveda; as in we have 3 doshas and imbalances in these doshas basically cause all disease?

I don't necessarily subscribe to the theory and the writings, but like Superpredator said, given 5000+ years of time to concoct medicines and perfect their formula, you can bet that a lot of ayurvedic medicines work! I'm not saying hit up Ayurvedic medicine as a miracle cure for cancer or AIDS, but for some common flu-like symptoms, headaches, fevers, colds, migraines, or in my grandmother's case, slight chronic pain, it can be quite effective at times.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #25 of 63
It's ******** and so is Ayurvedic medicine - although I'm positive some of the stuff used in Ayurvedic medicine is genuine (herbs and whatnot) the explanation is pure cack and this just makes it scientific evidence based medicine.

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #27 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Homeopathy explained. Great video.

Indeed, it's really surprising how far they go with the dilution process, utterly ridiculous. And yet this stuff actually has a sale's quota at the end of every quarter. Amazing how easily people are fooled.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #28 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, it's really surprising how far they go with the dilution process, utterly ridiculous.

Maybe not so utterly. The mention of dilutions reminded me just now of something I did years ago in a hospital lab. For whatever reason, as part of testing, I diluted some serum or plasma, and noticed that the protein (I assume it was the protein) affected the meniscus of the test tube it was in. Pure, distilled water had a meniscus going one way, with the blood protein added, the meniscus went the other way. Make sense? I got curious about how far out I could dilute the serum/plasma and still see the effect. I started at 1:2 and did doubling dilutions:

1:2
1:4
1:8
1:16
1:32
1:64
1:128
1:256
1:512
1:1024
1:2048
1:4096
1:8192
1:16384
1:32768

I stopped somewhere around there, and the effect on the meniscus was still there. I have no explanation, but I did note at the time that not all things get diluted out.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #30 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe not so utterly. The mention of dilutions reminded me just now of something I did years ago in a hospital lab. For whatever reason, as part of testing, I diluted some serum or plasma, and noticed that the protein (I assume it was the protein) affected the meniscus of the test tube it was in. Pure, distilled water had a meniscus going one way, with the blood protein added, the meniscus went the other way. Make sense? I got curious about how far out I could dilute the serum/plasma and still see the effect. I started at 1:2 and did doubling dilutions:

1:2
1:4
1:8
1:16
1:32
1:64
1:128
1:256
1:512
1:1024
1:2048
1:4096
1:8192
1:16384
1:32768

I stopped somewhere around there, and the effect on the meniscus was still there. I have no explanation, but I did note at the time that not all things get diluted out.

Hmm, intriguing. I would like an explanation myself just out of curiosity, I'll give my old professor a holler and see if he comes up with anything as to why this is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back