World Homeopathy Awareness Week
Apr 13, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 63
I believe anything backed by research not anecdotal work.
I don't believe in homeopathy for the same reason I don't believe in cables.
Nuff said.

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 63
yeah, if someone can point me to a double blind experiment with proper controls that shows a causal relationship between homeopathy and lower disease rates then i would be all for it. well i would still be suspicious, but at least it would be more feasible to me

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 63
When I lived in India, I had lots of family and friends who were big proponents of both Homeopathic medicine and Ayurvedic medicine. I was never sick enough while living there that I ever had to see a doctor, but there were often times when I was sick as a dog. In many of those cases, someone or the other would recommend homeopathic medicines and/or ayurvedic medicines when other drugs/medicines weren't working quickly. I've had both and in the 5 years I spent there, I can say this about myself, my mother and my sister:
  1. Ayurvedic medicine worked
  2. Homeopathic medicine did nothing

Some ayurvedics were surprisingly effective and some were easier to stomach too. I have a slight fear of swallowing large tablets so I often found it much easier to swallow smaller ayurvedic tablets than larger Nyquil/Dayquil gel tablets. And they worked just as well! Ever time I go back to India or someone I know does, I have them bring back a large supply of a specific med (Tribhuvankirti) because to date, it has been the most effective medicine I have ever used for getting over colds and flu-like symptoms quickly (I distribute them at work every now and then when someone complains that nothing else is working, and have a few colleagues who also swear by them now).

Homeopathic meds on the other hand, left me feeling just as lousy after taking them as they did before. As a result, I don't subscribe to homeopathy at all.

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 63
If you are referring to the kind of homeopathic 'care' you get at Moon Beam's home after she examines a shot glass full of your spit, yes, it's faith-based malarkey.

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #6 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nuff said.

I don't believe in homeopathy for the same reason i don't believe in leprechauns and fairies.

In highschool, I knew a girl who swore that she believed in dragons, and swore that she had seen them.

There was a guy who was obsessed with her, and for a time, he convinced himself that he believed in dragons too. And had seen them.

I equate this kind of behavior as being directly on par with homeopathy.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 63
That one works vote was meant for "fake," i truly apologize if i got anyone interested in an explanation.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #9 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it's World Homeopathy Awareness Week, April 10-16

Question is how many of you believe Homeopathy works?

hopefully not many

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nuff said.

100% agree.

Ever notice the people who are huge proponents of homeopathic remedies are the same people you would not exactly want being your doctor? They have a certain Marshall Applewhite quality to them...

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #12 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone has to. I see shelves full of the crap every time I shop at Whole Foods or Central Market.

Not here, though. Audiophiles are very reasonable people.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #13 of 63
Quote:

Someone has to. I see shelves full of the crap every time I shop at Whole Foods or Central Market.

ha ha ha ha! that's the funniest thing I have seen here ay head-fi in a long time!
k701smile.gif

Any secret homeopatic fans, please come out of the closet now!

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 63
Quote:

Funny story that lead to starting this topic...
I was in Whole Foods the other day looking at natural remedies etc and the store assistant pointed out the homeopathic options, I was so taken back I was unable to muster up any words and just started laughing... my wife was telling me not to be rude and rightly so. The store assistant was obviously a huge believer as she told me they work better than anything and looked at me like I was stupid when I said there just sugar pills, water, placebo.

It's good to know everyone around here doesn't buy into this fraud, Pepsi's mistake aside there could be one?
regular_smile .gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #15 of 63
Homeopathy. Someone took the general concept behind a vaccine's efficacy and tried to apply it to all medicine. Nice thought. Wait, no, not nice. Worthless. Arnica may well have antiinflammatory properties, but you'd have to actually use some of it in a medicinal application to achieve anything. My absolute favorite part about homeopathy is that further dilutions are supposed to increase potency, but the adherents I know will say you should take more pellets if your condition is severe. Buh? It's basically magic for the science age.

I used to work in a retail pharmacy, and when customers asked the pharmacist-owners whether homeopathic products (which we carried) were effective, the response was "Many people swear by them."

Ayurveda is a completely different story, in my mind, and entirely unrelated to what makes homeopathy nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back