Woo's New Flagship WA33
Jan 31, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #3,061 of 3,212
Ok heard from the retail store, looks like they will personally drive and drop off wa33 elite this Saturday… plus bringing a few complimentary cd,s for my antipodes to rip.

Feb 3, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #3,062 of 3,212
It’s here! Just letting the unit warm up from transpo before turning on.

IMG_9519.jpeg

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #3,063 of 3,212
right off the bat, shhhhhiiieeeet. no warm up, its intimate, bass is scrumptious yet smooth wide and dynamic range pops up the fr charts as well. first tune no less. ill spin around the collection, like listening for the first frigghin time.

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #3,064 of 3,212
right off the bat, shhhhhiiieeeet. no warm up, its intimate, bass is scrumptious yet smooth wide and dynamic range pops up the fr charts as well. first tune no less. ill spin around the collection, like listening for the first frigghin time.
Just got a wa33 as well noticed what a few other people mentioned - it sounds good off the bat but it sounds a bit better once the tubes are fully warmed up ~ 20-30 min in.

Side note, the Tungsten sounded really good off the wa33

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #3,065 of 3,212
well this moved me in a way i wasn't expecting. ok each step of upgrade from hp cables to interconnects made some difference. The most significant till now being my antipodes server, but in tandem, or result of all previous, the wa33 elite has left me almost speechless. The dynamic detail as instruments come forward, or backward, or up, or left or right pop into a cohesive three dimensional orchestration. The biggest low end growl or the sharpest trumpet or violin threatens to violently attack you settles into a wow of harmless acoustic mass. its like this tubey sensation of holographic dynamic has airbags or your in an unveiled cotton mass or its slightly hall like and back a bit but heck the instrumentation is right there. illusion or just musical happiness. i go with the later.
now I'm questioning whether i need anything more from this hobby another HP another DAC ha, lol, i don't think so. Im going over evrytune i got again. can't wait for bach cello concerto.

frankly getting upgrade tubes just went from plan D to plan B if anything

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #3,066 of 3,212
Anyone selling WE417A to 6c45 adapter? I don't need the tubes, just the adapter. If anyone has a spare quad set.

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #3,067 of 3,212
So I recently picked up a Elrog 5U4G with about 80hrs, but it wouldn’t surprise me if this had less time than that. This is kinda off topic because I don’t have a WA33 anymore and I’m using it with a DNA Stellaris, but this thread has a lot of Elrog 5U4G users so thought I’d ask.
The Elrog seems fairly warm from what I’ve read about. I have a EML mesh 5U4G and it’s as warm if not less than the Elrog atm. Feel the Elrog isn’t as open as it should be. Seems off, Idk?

Feb 10, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #3,068 of 3,212
the 5u4g psvain that's stock tube wa33 EE i found quite musical, a little tubey and loose but fantastic imagery. i upgraded my rectifier to TA 274B, wow really tightened up with a little less analogue tube feel, but with fantastic depth and speed. don't know elrog.....

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #3,069 of 3,212
@Rhodey my post that you liked was from 01/23. The Elrog got very noisy a couple months after that but Elrog refused warranty replacement because it was used in a Woo WA33. So I just kept using it waiting for it to burn out and here it is at 13 months still going. If anything it has gotten quieter and become a better performer after all this time. I still do not believe it better than the Tak 274B with the Tak being more dynamic and tighter. I would put it #2 on my list of rectifiers rolled. Surprisingly considering I believe that the rectifier has less effect on SQ than the other tubes I have rolled more rectifiers than any other tube. Never tried the EML rectifier as I along with others encountered severe warranty issues with EML.

@Whazzzup if I had gotten a Psavane 5U4G as a stock rectifier I might not have gone down the path rolling all these rectifiers. My stock rectifier was a 5U3C of unknown origin(no brand name) that just was not very good.

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #3,070 of 3,212
@Rhodey my post that you liked was from 01/23. The Elrog got very noisy a couple months after that but Elrog refused warranty replacement because it was used in a Woo WA33. So I just kept using it waiting for it to burn out and here it is at 13 months still going. If anything it has gotten quieter and become a better performer after all this time. I still do not believe it better than the Tak 274B with the Tak being more dynamic and tighter. I would put it #2 on my list of rectifiers rolled. Surprisingly considering I believe that the rectifier has less effect on SQ than the other tubes I have rolled more rectifiers than any other tube. Never tried the EML rectifier as I along with others encountered severe warranty issues with EML.

@Whazzzup if I had gotten a Psavane 5U4G as a stock rectifier I might not have gone down the path rolling all these rectifiers. My stock rectifier was a 5U3C of unknown origin(no brand name) that just was not very good.
I’m using EML 2a3s power tubes but after some test with a lot rectifier my preferences goes for mesa 5u4g, that is a Chinese tube but highly selected. I try eml, kr, Sophia rectifier tube, I think that rectifier tube must be choice in conjunction with the power tubes and personal preference

Feb 15, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #3,071 of 3,212
a couple hours till my new driver and power tubes are here, the ta 274B bloomed nicely after some hours. pics, thoughts to come

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #3,072 of 3,212
tanatsuki, western electric and KR in the house

Nice carry case to store the stock tubes. Of course another wow moment yet again oh the first tune, but got to clock some hours in and let these settle. but the magic is in the box you plug these flavour tubes into. but still shiiiiieeeeeeet.
IMG_9582.jpeg
IMG_9583.jpeg
IMG_9584.jpeg
IMG_9585.jpeg

Feb 15, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #3,073 of 3,212
So I recently picked up a Elrog 5U4G with about 80hrs, but it wouldn’t surprise me if this had less time than that. This is kinda off topic because I don’t have a WA33 anymore and I’m using it with a DNA Stellaris, but this thread has a lot of Elrog 5U4G users so thought I’d ask.
The Elrog seems fairly warm from what I’ve read about. I have a EML mesh 5U4G and it’s as warm if not less than the Elrog atm. Feel the Elrog isn’t as open as it should be. Seems off, Idk?
Very interested in this. I am tempted to get an Elrog as well. But I also have the option to pick an EML too (used).

Feb 15, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #3,074 of 3,212
Very interested in this. I am tempted to get an Elrog as well. But I also have the option to pick an EML too (used).
In my Woo WA5-LE, the Elrog 5U4G's have been my sole rectifiers for about 2 years now. I only swap them when I pick up new tubes to play with (like my recent EML 300B-Mesh). I can't speak for how they sound in the WA33, but they are great in my WA5. Having said that, they do suffer from the occasional 'ringing' issue. That can be rectified (pardon the pun) with a light tap. But it does happen from time-to-time. YMMV.

The EMLs are my #2 rectifiers, followed closely by the KR-Audio 5U4G Riccardo Kron Anniversary Editions.

Feb 15, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #3,075 of 3,212
To bad it looks like my kr 2a3 are producing some right channel static/distortion…switched out systematically to find out. i Did like what I heard until the right channel thang happened. Oh well sound is awesome with stock power tubes And new rectifier and driver. Call woo up tomorrow and see what we do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back