Woo's New Flagship WA33
Feb 15, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #2,626 of 3,213
AD530EE9-60E5-4599-93BA-4570C3CD08A9.jpeg

Feb 16, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #2,628 of 3,213
Both my WA33 and 3ES have that metal ping too until the tubes warm up. It doesn’t last long at all and then it goes away completely. I was under the impression that it was normal

mine has done it since I swapped regulators RCA 5U4G to KR SE 5U4G a year or so ago.
Never did it with the RCA, I had assumed it was a function of the KR Regulator, but I guess not.

Feb 22, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #2,629 of 3,213
Finally got around to upgrading the power tubes so now have a fully upgraded amp and went with emission labs 2A3 Solid plates so now running emission labs power tubes and rectifier along with We417A's for the driver tubes.

The biggest difference i've noticed so far is much better tonal density and weight to everything, its a thicker sound overall with more warmth. It's especially noticeable on the susvara which sounded a little thin before with the stock power tubes. Can't wait to burn them in more and hear more changes, this upgrade has definitely taken the wa33 up another in overall sound quality.

Next I'm going to try an elrog 5U4G recitifer and then at some point will get the takatsuki 2a3's but the price for them is extremely painful :sob:

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #2,630 of 3,213
Finally got around to upgrading the power tubes so now have a fully upgraded amp and went with emission labs 2A3 Solid plates so now running emission labs power tubes and rectifier along with We417A's for the driver tubes.

The biggest difference i've noticed so far is much better tonal density and weight to everything, its a thicker sound overall with more warmth. It's especially noticeable on the susvara which sounded a little thin before with the stock power tubes. Can't wait to burn them in more and hear more changes, this upgrade has definitely taken the wa33 up another in overall sound quality.

Next I'm going to try an elrog 5U4G recitifer and then at some point will get the takatsuki 2a3's but the price for them is extremely painful :sob:

How did u decide on EML 2a3 over KR 2a3?

Feb 23, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #2,631 of 3,213
After using the Elrog 5u4g for a few weeks, I swapped back to the Tak274b tube. the Tak is quite mellow sounding in comparison; smooth, lush, rounded. the Elrog seems more transparent, airy, clear and dynamic. I ended up preferring the Tak with the Utopia and Abyss, and the Elrog with the SolP and Caldera.

I feel those looking for rectifiers with different/contrasting sounds should really consider these two tubes in their collection.

Feb 23, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #2,632 of 3,213
After using the Elrog 5u4g for a few weeks, I swapped back to the Tak274b tube. the Tak is quite mellow sounding in comparison; smooth, lush, rounded. the Elrog seems more transparent, airy, clear and dynamic. I ended up preferring the Tak with the Utopia and Abyss, and the Elrog with the SolP and Caldera.

I feel those looking for rectifiers with different/contrasting sounds should really consider these two tubes in their collection.
One of us! One of us!

Feb 23, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #2,633 of 3,213

One of us! One of us!
Anyone try kr 5u4g ?

Feb 23, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #2,634 of 3,213
Anyone try kr 5u4g ?
I have one in mine, the SE, not the RK Anniversary (though I have one of those as well).
Short version, the Anniversary RK version is my favorite 5U4G, the SE is a small step down, they are both like a super RCA, on the dry side, very open and transparent.
But I haven't heard the Emission Labs.
As I said I'd take the RK version (I don't believe there is currently a way to buy one) over the standard, but the standard is very good.
The RK version is in my Lampizator DAC ATM.

Feb 23, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #2,635 of 3,213
I have used the KR/RKAE 5U4G's in my Woo WA5-LE, and they are dry and strong (bold, is how I describe them). The Elrog are a touch warmer and even more "body" behind them. EML are slightly lazy, providing warmth and a touch of softness for a more romantic sound.

The KR/RKAE's have dried up. Lukasz's son (who ran Best300B.com) has closed up shop, and with that, the only access to them. Eunice Kron has said that Felikz had an exclusive on them (as mentioned, they're used in his Lampizator DACs). I've seen them used from time to time on USAM. Nothing lately though...

Feb 23, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #2,637 of 3,213

Great tube !

Attachments

• 74A8DB1C-0AF2-4B41-8E26-F43DD25764A2.jpeg
    74A8DB1C-0AF2-4B41-8E26-F43DD25764A2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 5314B09D-DED6-4858-9C61-D40AE6EF8FB3.jpeg
    5314B09D-DED6-4858-9C61-D40AE6EF8FB3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Feb 27, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #2,638 of 3,213
Hello all. I just wanted to dip my toes in this thread. I've been a long time stalker.

I have a Woo WA33 EE incoming (hopefully it will arrive this week or next week). I am looking forward to re-reading this thread, and after a while - some tube rolling.

For starters, I am going to use the Abyss 1266 TC, Utopia 22 and LCD 4. I also have a Raal Sr1b I am going to try with it. I'm adding a Lina to up my DAC game from my current Chord Hugo 2.

Thanks for keeping this threading current for someone late to the game.

Feb 27, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #2,639 of 3,213
Hello all. I just wanted to dip my toes in this thread. I've been a long time stalker.

I have a Woo WA33 EE incoming (hopefully it will arrive this week or next week). I am looking forward to re-reading this thread, and after a while - some tube rolling.

For starters, I am going to use the Abyss 1266 TC, Utopia 22 and LCD 4. I also have a Raal Sr1b I am going to try with it. I'm adding a Lina to up my DAC game from my current Chord Hugo 2.

Thanks for keeping this threading current for someone late to the game.

Congrats man! sounds like a dream system lineup!

I couldn't get the sr1b to sound right with my wa33. perhaps you will have better luck! but I think you'll have much better results running them off your speaker setup with the ti1b box.

Feb 27, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #2,640 of 3,213
Congrats man! sounds like a dream system lineup!

I couldn't get the sr1b to sound right with my wa33. perhaps you will have better luck! but I think you'll have much better results running them off your speaker setup with the ti1b box.
Thanks - I was going to try the T1b box with the WA 33. I guess I will see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back