WooAudio WA5 and Akg K1000's are in the house - Upgraded PSU is in 6/2
Mar 3, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #77 of 134
Wow those are big suckers, I guess that accounts for the ~$210 price tag...
smily_headphones1.gif

I would like to hear them, but a $420 experiment is not in the cards right now... Looks like they have been out there for a couple of years, someone has had to hear them by now.

Cheers,

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #78 of 134
I have wrote Jack also about this one which seems to be very competitive compared to the Western Electric equivalent.

274 Datasheet. Emission Labs.

Jack said this is a drop in replacement for WA5 rectifiers. Not very common but apparently one customer of Jack has heard very good things from a pair.

Just wonder how does it sound compare to my pair of Metal Base GZ34 (which cost me over US$500!)

I am tempted to try but tube rolling with WA5 turns out to be quite an expensive exercise.

F. Lo

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #79 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very good Lee.... I have not found much overlap yet, but some tube rolling on the WA5 may put the Apache in trouble.

But going all balanced has a big draw for me right now.

Cheers,

Ive never gone down the balanced road.........not an option with the Woo, but as long as i have the apache - its still gnawing away at me!
Lee

Mar 14, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #80 of 134
I am behind on my own thread:

This last weekend I was able to spend some time (with the help of Voltron) and do some tube rolling with the Rectifiers. These were all pairs that he had, and I was pushing the L3000's only.

I started with the Standard Sovtek 5U4G that came with the amp... they are OK.

(I may not know the branding on most of these off hand)

First Roll was the 5R4GYB. Bass detail and impact went way up. The overall detail was very high, as well as the increase in soundstage. First off I was thinking that I could live with this tube.

Went to something different 6106/5Y3WGTA. These were HOT, almost sizzly in the sound. It only took a very short time to realize that these were not going to work. Soundstage collapsed.

Went to the 5R4GYA the sister to the one that I liked. It must have been a step-sister. The over all detail was pretty much there, but not as refined. The Bass weight and luster was not up to the YB version. Could live with these tubes (5R4GYA), but would be looking for the B version soon after.

Then the GZ34. Now maybe it was the pair that I tried. But these did not beat the 5R4GYB's for me in the WA5. The soundstage was not as big as the 5R's, and the detail was not up to the same level. They seem to be kind of hot like the 6106's. I think that I made a comment that they seemed to be straining (trying too hard). I listen loud, but I should not be maxing out this amp. Another indication is that I don't have to turn it as high to get the same volume level as other tubes. This was true for both the 6106 and GZ34, they got loud at a lower volume setting.

The last pair (mixmatched) was a pair of RATHEON 5U4GB's. These sounded very good. They were very close to the 5R4GYB's. They presented good detail, warmth, weight, and soundstage.

My next real step is to try the 5R4GYB's and 5U4GB's heads up. Voltron left me both pairs to try out.

Mar 15, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #81 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am behind on my own thread:

This last weekend I was able to spend some time (with the help of Voltron) and do some tube rolling with the Rectifiers. These were all pairs that he had, and I was pushing the L3000's only.

I started with the Standard Sovtek 5U4G that came with the amp... they are OK.

(I may not know the branding on most of these off hand)

First Roll was the 5R4GYB. Bass detail and impact went way up. The overall detail was very high, as well as the increase in soundstage. First off I was thinking that I could live with this tube.

Went to something different 6106/5Y3WGTA. These were HOT, almost sizzly in the sound. It only took a very short time to realize that these were not going to work. Soundstage collapsed.

Went to the 5R4GYA the sister to the one that I liked. It must have been a step-sister. The over all detail was pretty much there, but not as refined. The Bass weight and luster was not up to the YB version. Could live with these tubes (5R4GYA), but would be looking for the B version soon after.

Then the GZ34. Now maybe it was the pair that I tried. But these did not beat the 5R4GYB's for me in the WA5. The soundstage was not as big as the 5R's, and the detail was not up to the same level. They seem to be kind of hot like the 6106's. I think that I made a comment that they seemed to be straining (trying too hard). I listen loud, but I should not be maxing out this amp. Another indication is that I don't have to turn it as high to get the same volume level as other tubes. This was true for both the 6106 and GZ34, they got loud at a lower volume setting.

The last pair (mixmatched) was a pair of RATHEON 5U4GB's. These sounded very good. They were very close to the 5R4GYB's. They presented good detail, warmth, weight, and soundstage.

My next real step is to try the 5R4GYB's and 5U4GB's heads up. Voltron left me both pairs to try out.

What brands are we talking about here? Are the GZ34s Mullards?

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #83 of 134
Raylinds, I was not paying attention to the brands at the time. But I did note that it was NOT Mullards on the GZ34.

I would have to contact Voltron to have him look them up for me.

Cheers,

Mar 23, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #84 of 134
So there were some questions about the wa5 with the Grado GS-1000's (stock cable). I can report that they are a great combo.

I have spent several days with them and the wa5. They give a big rich presentation, with lots of detail. I like the combo better than the WA6 (as I probably should) the sweet mids and nice mild highs of the 300B work very well with the GS-1000's.

I have also been checking the grado's against the RSA Apache and the Rudistor RPX-1000. And I must say that I like the WOO over both of the SS amps for the GS-1000's. Out of the two I like the Rudi pushing better than the RSA. The Apache brought out a slight harshness in the high's that was not very nice overall. The Rudi had authority with tone, and did not present any harshness.

These were both beat by the WA5's bass weight (and weight in general). The rock solid presentation of the tubes is just fantastic, and if there are stings involved at all, it is another step above. It sounds just right.....

Cheers,

Mar 24, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #85 of 134
Thanks mikeymad, for the useful impressions.

Can you tell us what tubes you are using on the WA5 for this comparison ? I have a recabled GS1000 coming my way so this is indeed a good reference.

I am also planning to try a pair of Sophia Princess 274B as rectifier, and see how this will impact the sound. I read that the 274B is a good match to 300B tubes.

Kind regards,
F. Lo

Mar 24, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #86 of 134
WE 300B's
JAN CHS 6SN7WGT's
GE 5R4GYB's or RATHEON 5U4GB's (rolled from time to time)

I will be looking forward to your impressions of the Sophia Princess 274B's. They look like contenders.

Cheers,

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #87 of 134
So I was waiting and waiting for a review of the Sophia 274B, that I just could not take it. So I broke down and bought something else....

I bough a matched pair of metal base GZ34's. Not the 57's But earlier rs1/55G's,

I hope that I wont regret it.... now I just have to wait for them to get here....

Cheers,

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #88 of 134
I just put in a pair of metal base GZ34 (1957 pair) 2 days ago. Am using a pair of Sophia Princess 300B Carbon Plate, which has around 35 hours on it with the WA5.

I can notice some tightening of bass but without eroding the smoothness of the carbon plate 300Bs. Feels the WA5 is more responsive too to rapid passages.

I like this combination better than the stock 5U4G with WE300B. I will be putting in more time to see how the sound evolves.

I also acquired a pair of WE 5U4G for a good price, and will be trying it next on my list.

The Sophia Princess 274B was out of stock for a while and it will take another 10 - 14 days before it is available again. So, the metal base GZ34 and WE 5U4G will be what I will play around for the time being.

F. Lo

Apr 15, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #89 of 134
New Package today.

Life is good....

My Mullard GZ34's (metal base) have arrived. And from the first few moments I can safely say they are the best sounding rectifiers that I have heard (in my limited experience).

gz34_01.jpg

Coded rs1/55G both. From first sound they have great bass impact, and detail. I know that they are not the 57C, but I think that these will make me happy for a while...

I would still love to hear the 274B, But I guess that is the great thing about these amps. The 274B's can still be on my shopping list when the gz34's finally give out. I think that my search has ended for a little while.

So my current configuration is:

Mullard gz34's - metal base 1955
JAN CHS 6SN7WGT's
WE 300B's

Now comes the fun part. Listening to everything I have on disk/vinyl/FLAC.....

Cheers,

Apr 15, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #90 of 134
Well the smooth plate metal base are some of the best there is. Should last you just about forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back