WooAudio WA5 and Akg K1000's are in the house - Upgraded PSU is in 6/2
Feb 16, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #61 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...The very deep bass is not all the way there, but I didn't expect it to beat the STAX setup....

i'd recommend using the ken-rad 6sn7gt, either the clear glass or the black glass
is fine, as they are an improvement over the sylvania 6sn7wgt in the bass dept,
in extension and resolution...

Feb 19, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #62 of 134
Quote:

the following rectifiers rate at 5V should be fine on your wa-5:

5ar4, gz30, gz32, gz33, gz34, gz37, 5u4g, 5as4, 5r4gy, 274b, 422a and more...

Wow, now that you have given me a laundry list of tubes to research. I have a bigger job than before.

But for looking at the top of the heap, I will be starting with the Gz34/5ar4 types and looking at Mullards or Phillips.

I am more and more happy with my 6sn selection right now, and happier with the amp. But I migh explore some other options after the rectifier upgrades.

Cheers,

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #63 of 134
Congrats on your purchase and I wish you the best in your long and expensive journey down the path of tube rolling. Very addicting, but part of the joy of this hobby.

I too, just purchased some K1000s and a WA5, but I haven't received it yet. I have purchased the tubes already, and got both WE300Bs and Sophia Princess Mesh Plates. I have heard that some like the mesh plates better than the WEs, but some prefer the WEs. I decided to try both and sell the ones I didn't like (well, that's the plan- whether I sell them or not remains to be seen). I also got some Raytheon VT-231s (6SN7 JANs) and Mullard GZ34 rectifiers (not metal base, though). I will have to report my experiences when everything is up and running.

I was considering the Grado GS1000s and I noticed you own them. Have you tried them with the WA5? If so, I would be interested in your impressions.

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #64 of 134
Just wonder if anyone can tell what is best for the WA5 - the Carbon Plates or the Mesh Plates ?

I have the FM 300B/C and quite like it. Then I swap in a pair of WE300B (current production) and the difference is not that obvious - well the mid range is a tad better.

I know Sophia offers both mesh plate and carbon plate, and wonder what is the better to try on a WA5.

F. Lo

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #65 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wonder if anyone can tell what is best for the WA5 - the Carbon Plates or the Mesh Plates ?

I have the FM 300B/C and quite like it. Then I swap in a pair of WE300B (current production) and the difference is not that obvious - well the mid range is a tad better.

I know Sophia offers both mesh plate and carbon plate, and wonder what is the better to try on a WA5.

F. Lo

Hopefully someone who has tried the carbon plates in the WA5 can respond. in the meantime, there's a link on the Sophia site Sophia Electric's Home Page to a HiFi+ review that compares and contrasts the mesh plate and carbon plate. When I get my WA5, I will report how the mesh plates sound.

Feb 22, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #66 of 134
Quote:

So after three days of fighting with FedEx delivery. The newest addition to my collection (bad word) has finally arrived.

This set has come from tyrion all the way over in Florida.

Let the picture story begin... :

The two crates for the WA5 and the box for the WE300Bs and K1000's:
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_01.jpg

Starting off with the AMP and Tubes:
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_02.jpg

Well packed I must say:
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_03.jpg

Ah!... it can breath again:
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_04.jpg

The front, I only need the large 'loud' knob.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_05.jpg

Input and output (many connections in the power cord):
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_06.jpg

Moving onto the PSU:
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_07.jpg

And more tubes:
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_08.jpg

Once again it is very safe in there:
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_09.jpg

I do like the silver look:
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_10.jpg

The "Go Now" Switch:
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_11.jpg

In with the bad power out with the good sweet sounding power:
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_12.jpg

Now another fun box - What is that?

Quote:

But there is still more in the box:
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_18.jpg

Hello Pandora:
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_19.jpg

Show me the magic:
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_20.jpg

The are strange, but I cannot look away:
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_21.jpg

They sound good just sitting in their box:
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_22.jpg

Hmmm, that does not look like the standard cord:
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_23.jpg

You are correct (more adds) :
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_24.jpg

Okay the family is all together - Hit Costco the other day and picked up the very industrial, but very stable rack. Who can name all the stuff?
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_25.jpg

Okay now we are getting ready for something now. The WE 300B's are in there now. I didn't want to risk them with the first power up.
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_26.jpg

Sharing the top shelves with old friends:
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_27.jpg

PSU feeding from below.
Wooaudio_WA5_and_K1000s_28.jpg

Sound?

Yep it makes some......

Giving the K1000's a little go right now. Been up and running for about 45 minutes now. They don't (never have) done everything that I want out of a headset, but there is something that is just correct about the sound to me. I think that it really has to deal with that they are just speakers that float around your head. There is no isolation, light on bass, but still create a great soundstage and lovely music.

I spent a little bit of time with L3000's and, I must say, I will be spending a lot of time with those on my head. The 300B pushing the 3000's are a great combo. The ultra rich and detailed mid range is almost overwhelming at times. And this amp is able to hold a very nice bass line. Very fun combo.

Well I am going to listen for a while. I am sure I will have some changes as it warms up and I play around with some combinations.

Cheers,

Very very sad...
Give a chance to these wonderful things to go to people who can love them...

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #67 of 134
Mesh or not to Mesh.....

hmmm. I was going to stick with my WE's for the long haul, but now you got me thinking.... :-?

not sure what you mean Brat.... I have bought two more amps in the last two weeks... the purge will be starting soon enough. Once I figure out the 'best' combo..
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,

Feb 25, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #68 of 134
Quote:

Mesh or not to Mesh.....

hmmm. I was going to stick with my WE's for the long haul, but now you got me thinking.... :-?

not sure what you mean Brat.... I have bought two more amps in the last two weeks... the purge will be starting soon enough. Once I figure out the 'best' combo..
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,

Be very interested on this 'best combo' synergy.....any progress?

Regards

Lee

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #69 of 134
the Western Electric 300B's walk all over the Sophia meshplates. I have used both. If you can afford the WE's don't waste your money on the Sophias. Nothing wrong with them, I liked them a lot myself till I heard the WE's. Not in the same league.

Feb 28, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #70 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by mazort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Western Electric 300B's walk all over the Sophia meshplates. I have used both. If you can afford the WE's don't waste your money on the Sophias. Nothing wrong with them, I liked them a lot myself till I heard the WE's. Not in the same league.

For the Sophia meshplates you used, are they the Princess series or the older one?

F. Lo

Feb 28, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #71 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! Nice collection. Super jealous.

GAD

Exactly what I was thinking. So now you'll never have to look at another headphone / amp again?
wink.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #72 of 134
Other than I just bought a RSA Apache, Rudistor RPX-100, STAX 4070, and HeAudio 1.2b electrostatic phones....

I may be done for a while.... :-?

Cheers,

Mar 3, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #74 of 134
Very good Lee.... I have not found much overlap yet, but some tube rolling on the WA5 may put the Apache in trouble.

But going all balanced has a big draw for me right now.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back