Woo WES
Nov 4, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #62 of 118
The final versions of the WES and BHSE had not been together in the same room until this year's RMAF event and even then, they were on different source components. Until the two amps are connected to the same source at some point somewhere (which I'm sure will happen eventually), no one can make any valid comparative statements between the two other than those who have knowledge of the amps' technical designs and how it affects their sound quality. The fact that the tubes on both amps can be rolled also adds to the complexity of comparison.

Source components and synergy are also extremely subjective and it would be incorrect to make any blanket statements regarding the type of source that either amp should be paired with or might sound optimally with. I have my BHSE paired with a source that peels treble off the walls (Plinius CD-101) and I have to say that I love it but it's certainly not for everyone.

As for the topic of pairing headphones to the amps, that too is very subjective, though a few statements can certainly be made: (1) The BHSE was designed for the OII. (2) HeadAmp also previously designed the Aristaeus for the HE90. (3) The ES-1 was at least designed in part for the HE90. (I asked Mikhail about it at one point.)

I also think that anyone remotely close enough to either New York or Virginia owes it to himself (or herself as the case might be) to visit Woo Audio or HeadAmp (respectively) for a personal audition.

I would also add, does it really matter how a certain headphone might sound with either amp? As long as an amp is well-designed, well-built, and backed by customer service, good sound quality is virtually guaranteed. No need to ponder too many questions over an amp decision, just buy something and listen to the music and enjoy. Don't tread the road of "what if" questions or wonder if the grass is greener in another direction because that path is infinitely long.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #63 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The final versions of the WES and BHSE had not been together in the same room until this year's RMAF event and even then, they were on different source components. Until the two amps are connected to the same source at some point somewhere (which I'm sure will happen eventually), no one can make any valid comparative statements between the two other than those who have knowledge of the amps' technical designs and how it affects their sound quality. The fact that the tubes on both amps can be rolled also adds to the complexity of comparison.

Source components and synergy are also extremely subjective and it would be incorrect to make any blanket statements regarding the type of source that either amp should be paired with or might sound optimally with. I have my BHSE paired with a source that peels treble off the walls and I have to say that I love it but it's certainly not for everyone.

As for the topic of pairing headphones to the amps, that too is very subjective, though a few statements can certainly be made: (1) The BHSE was designed for the OII. (2) HeadAmp also previously designed the Aristaeus for the HE90. (3) The ES-1 was at least designed in part for the HE90. (I asked Mikhail about it at one point.)

I also think that anyone remotely close enough to either New York or Virginia owes it to himself (or herself as the case might be) to visit Woo Audio or HeadAmp (respectively) for a personal audition.

Agreed - that's why I made it a point to mention the sources with the two different amps, and commented that I felt the source for the KGBH SE was maybe not the best one for it at RMAF. The source and phones will always influence which amp sounds better in a comparison.

I would suggest that it would be best to hear each rig with the most synergistic source for that amp/phone combo, even if the source isn't the same for each amp. Using the same source will help flush out the differences in sound between the two amps, but wont necessarily help demonstrate which amp is the best performer with a particular phone.

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #64 of 118
Hopefully, by mid-November, I should be able to use the Meitner DAC 6E with the WES and make some comparisons. Right now, the DAC 6E is being relegated to Transporter DAC duty. It blows away the Transporter, Ack! DaK!, and Xciter output, but for $11k, it better. It is "day and night" noticeable.

3 channels are being wasted , of course, but those are used for multi-channel use.

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #65 of 118
still no impression! Come on~

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #66 of 118
I came here to beg out of curiosity if someone could please post some pics of the rear 12AU7 phase splitters and low and behold Woo Audio has updated their pics of the unit to show a black production model of the WES. Gives me more confident with the company they keep it current on the web. Just wish they offered some (reasonably priced) PS upgrades over those (which are no doubt stunning musically but marginal) VH cap upgrades.

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #67 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I came here to beg out of curiosity if someone could please post some pics of the rear 12AU7 phase splitters and low and behold Woo Audio has updated their pics of the unit to show a black production model of the WES. Gives me more confident with the company they keep it current on the web. Just wish they offered some (reasonably priced) PS upgrades over those (which are no doubt stunning musically but marginal) VH cap upgrades.

Seems like they have also reduced the number of inputs from 4 to 3 too; the photo of the silver amp shows 4 inputs but the black version shows 3. But the info bar indicates only 3 inputs, confusing. Perhaps the 4th input was a optional extra?

Much prefer the look of the black WES. Nonetheless, that's still a whole lotta tubes on that thing.

Dec 19, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #68 of 118
I've had the WES up an running for about 10 days now. I mentioned it's important to match the source to the stats and amp before. I keep going back and forth between my PS Audio Digital Link III and Apogee mini-DAC, and I'm enjoying the WES/O2 Mk1 with either source. At RMAF the eXStatA amp wasn't as good with my stock PS Audio DAC as it was with a Cullen modded PS Audio or a balanced OPUS DAC; so I may end up having to pair the Apogee with the eXSstatA in the bedroom when I get it soon, and leave the PS Audio with the WES (planning to get the PSA modded someday).

The O2 Mk1 sound richer and more spacious with the WES than with the GES, and the WES can really put out some pounding bass lines now with electronic, like Infected Mushroom. The soundstage is still not as open and spacious as the HD800 on the ZDT, but the sound is a little more refined and fuller with stronger bass. There are times when I prefer the O2/WES and times when I prefer the HD800/ZDT - Right now I'm having an O2 moment...

I still have to do more tube rolling with the ZDT to best match it to the HD800 and DAC, but I wouldn't even know where to begin with tube rolling in the WES since the tubes in it are already $700 for a full compliment. This is the same WES and tube set that has been making the rounds as the Woo demo WES unit. I think it sounds pretty good as is. With the nice phones and amps that I have now, the only place I have been wanting to concentrate on are my sources now.

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #69 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps the 4th input was a optional extra?

Perhaps the jacks were loop out.

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #70 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I With the nice phones and amps that I have now, the only place I have been wanting to concentrate on are my sources now.

And that is where the true madness sets in.
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #71 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And that is where the true madness sets in.
wink.gif

yessss, moar DACessss...

So, what do you think about the Apogee mini-DAC I have, or maybe doing the Cullen mods to my PS Audio Digital Link III?

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #72 of 118
The day I get mine, will be a happier day in the mtbiker's household!
smile.gif

Jack, make the call, and I'll be there in 10 minutes. Better response time than the EMS ambulance.

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #73 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The day I get mine, will be a happier day in the mtbiker's household!
smile.gif

Jack, make the call, and I'll be there in 10 minutes. Better response time than the EMS ambulance.

So, you made up your mind!

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #74 of 118
Yes, I let down Ray gently. However, I am still waiting on Kerry to see if he'll make me a one-off! If he does, I'll take his and Jack's, and sell some stuff.
Perhaps my HP-2's. They should fetch a lot being that they are perfect, with the writing almost calligraphic, and the flats are brand new.

When I bought them from agile_one, I gave him my word that I would give him and the Florida clique first dibs, But I would want the going rate $$$,

Dec 20, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #75 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And that [the source] is where the true madness sets in.
wink.gif

"Ain't it the truth, ain't it the truth"! (sorry, just got done watching "The Wizard of Oz")
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back