Woo WES
Dec 21, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #76 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the nice phones and amps that I have now, the only place I have been wanting to concentrate on are my sources now.

A source upgrade would definitely improve the performance of both your ZDT and WES rigs. It's high time you moved on up from your lowly sources Larry, because amps such as those deserve more, don't you think?
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #77 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A source upgrade would definitely improve the performance of both your ZDT and WES rigs. It's high time you moved on up from your lowly sources Larry, because amps such as those deserve more, don't you think?
wink.gif

That's why I have my RS-1 up for sale to pay for a used Pass Pearl phono preamp I was offered, then maybe a nicer cartridge if needed, and either the Cullen mods for my PS Audio DAC or a different DAC. Wasn't sure if the balanced Buffalo DAC would be that much better than the Cullen mods or the Apogee. Have a lot of research ahead, but the goal is a better DAC during 2010.

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #78 of 118
This WES is really giving my HE60 some balls, and the Jade almost have too much bass but it's fun. It's weird that the O2 Mk1 sound better with the WES than any of my previous amps, but on the WES my HE60 and Jade get closer to the O2 and maybe even better than the O2 in soundstage. With the WES the Jade sound more like an O2 with extra bass and extra treble, and a bigger soundstage than my GES could ever give them. They sound good at low, medium or loud volumes.

Switching from the HD800/ZDT to the O2/WES makes it more obvious just how much smaller the O2 soundstage is. It's just not as wide and big and deep and spacious on the O2, but the HE60 are right up there with the best now. The WES changes the airy etherial spacious but un-grounded sound of the HE60 into one that is both spacious and grounded, due to more solid bass impact and presence. But, while more spacious the imaging is not as well focused as the others. The HE60 seems to be best suited to moderate volume levels, not too quiet or too loud.

The O2 Mk1 still excel at quiet music listening, as every little detail is still extracted and the bass doesn't seem rolled off at low volumes, but as I turn up the volume the mids can seem a little warm and full and forward and the bass kicks in harder, but the highs don't fill in quite as well and don't quite keep up with the rest. So, I am going to try my slightly brighter PS Audio Digital Link III DAC with the O2 tomorrow.

On the other hand, the HE60 still seem to get a little too bright at high volumes as the bass doesn't scale up as well at very high levels, and I suspect they could be more fatiguing at higher the moderate volumes. In this sense, the O2 or Jade are a better choice at high volumes. Either way, I am so glad I didn't accept an offer this summer to sell my HE60.

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #79 of 118
Quote:

This WES is really giving my HE60 some balls, and the Jade almost have too much bass but it's fun. It's weird that the O2 Mk1 sound better with the WES than any of my previous amps, but on the WES my HE60 and Jade get closer to the O2 and maybe even better than the O2 in soundstage....

Switching from the HD800/ZDT to the O2/WES makes it more obvious just how much smaller the O2 soundstage is. It's just not as wide and big and deep and spacious on the O2, but the HE60 are right up there with the best now. The WES changes the airy etherial spacious but un-grounded sound of the HE60 into one that is both spacious and grounded, due to more solid bass impact and presence. But, while more spacious the imaging is not as well focused as the others. The HE60 seems to be best suited to moderate volume levels, not too quiet or too loud.

The O2 Mk1 still excel at quiet music listening, as every little detail is still extracted and the bass doesn't seem rolled off at low volumes, but as I turn up the volume the mids can seem a little warm and full and forward and the bass kicks in harder, but the highs don't fill in quite as well and don't quite keep up with the rest. So, I am going to try my slightly brighter PS Audio Digital Link III DAC with the O2 tomorrow.

On the other hand, the HE60 still seem to get a little too bright at high volumes as the bass doesn't scale up as well at very high levels, and I suspect they could be more fatiguing at higher the moderate volumes. In this sense, the O2 or Jade are a better choice at high volumes. Either way, I am so glad I didn't accept an offer this summer to sell my HE60.

Great news to read over here, Larry. Not that I'll ever commit, as you did, to an expensive (IMHO) amp such as the WES (or KGBH) but it's great to read when they produce the goods for someone like yourself who has been able to make the commitment (I'm hoping to stick with your alternative option of a GES and an ExStatA
rolleyes.gif
).

Particularly impressed with your HE60 learnings and would suggest that if the upgrading of DAC doesn't assist with the too bright highs that by that time it'll be about a little EQ-ing down the offending areas of the spectrum (which is how I deal with the JH13 50-60Hz bump when it's too excessive portably
wink_face.gif
).

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #80 of 118
At some point we need to have some posts about tube rolling. I am not thinking the Shuguang Treasure 6CA7 are going anywhere, but I am wondering if there are more improvements to be had with the 6SL7 tubes or the 5AR4 rectifiers. I don't even know what kind of tubes I have in those sockets. If it's this good now, I can't stop thinking about whether it can get even better.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #81 of 118
I rolled some Raytheon 6C8G's for gain tubes - the results were stunning!

They are basically the same as a 6SL7, but with half the gain (mu of 50 vs 100). They require a standard 6F8G adapter. Details increased to a surprisingly noticeable degree! I still use the Treasures as power tubes.

As for rectifiers, the trick is finding tubes that physically fit in there! The real culprit for tube limitation is that bar in front of the rectifiers - not the walls around them. For this reason, such famous tubes as the princess 274B and EML 5U4G will not fit. NOS GZ34's are probably a good route to go, though I have not yet tried (since I just put down all my liquid cash for some R10's).

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #82 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I rolled some Raytheon 6C8G's for gain tubes - the results were stunning!

They are basically the same as a 6SL7, but with half the gain (mu of 50 vs 100). They require a standard 6F8G adapter. Details increased to a surprisingly noticeable degree! I still use the Treasures as power tubes.

As for rectifiers, the trick is finding tubes that physically fit in there! The real culprit for tube limitation is that bar in front of the rectifiers - not the walls around them. For this reason, such famous tubes as the princess 274B and EML 5U4G will not fit. NOS GZ34's are probably a good route to go, though I have not yet tried (since I just put down all my liquid cash for some R10's).

On the WA6 the rectifier has a big impact on the sound, and with an Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 the soundstage is narrower and the amp is slightly more mid-centric. The amp opened up greatly with the Sophia Princess 274b, and the bass and treble also improved noticeably. What kind of effect does the rectifier have on the WES?

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #83 of 118
I'm still waiting for mine...supposed to be November.

Perhaps if I help an old lady on a bus
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #84 of 118
Quote:

On the WA6 the rectifier has a big impact on the sound, and with an Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 the soundstage is narrower and the amp is slightly more mid-centric. The amp opened up greatly with the Sophia Princess 274b, and the bass and treble also improved noticeably. What kind of effect does the rectifier have on the WES?

I have yet to roll my rectifier tubes. I was planning on some small-bottle GE GZ34', as well as mullards if I can muster up the dough

If I get to trying out rectifiers before you, i'll let you know the results!

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #85 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This amp is one mo-fo amp. Not only does it have the industrial look and build of sheet brickhouse, the sound that comes out of this amp is exactly what I am looking for in a stat amp. Detail, and layers that will take a PhD thesis to unravel.

This is the one! Congrats Jack. Hard work and dedication have paid off
images
in the most delightful way.
images

Oh sure...you spent time finding pictures of musical notes, and no pictures of the amp!
eek.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #87 of 118
Quote:

Now, now. All one has to do is to take a look at the pics from the stat mini meet at my house for the actual pictures:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6178085-post5.html

Seek, and ye shall find.

Do I get to collect royalties when you post photos of my amp?
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #88 of 118
No Larry, but if you point your back in my general direction, I will gladly pat it twice for you, and even throw in a "attaboy".

How's the amp doing. Mine's 2 months late and I'm close to canceling.

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #89 of 118
Quote:

No Larry, but if you point your back in my general direction, I will gladly pat it twice for you, and even throw in a "attaboy".

Thanks, I really do like it. I've never heard my HE60 sound this good on other amps, and my O2 Mk1 now sound as good as I heard them with the other top tier stat amps like A-10 and BHSE, and clearly better than Naamanf's normal KGBH (which also sounded better with Jade than O2 Mk1, so now I own his O2). The Jade sound good with most amps I have tried, so they don't count.
tongue.gif

If you cancel what would you get?

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #90 of 118
Quote:

you know these big amps always take time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back