Woo WA22, Liquid Fire, Trafomatic HeadOne, GS-1 w/ DACT, AMB B22 compared.
May 21, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #166 of 208
Quote:
What was surprising to me is where great solid state started.  Both of the all tube amps had more complete instrument texture and detail.  It was quite shocking since I pretty much avoided tubes for the last decade thinking they were outdated tech that only continued to exist for nostalgia reasons :O

Exactly, some make generalizations, but they are just that...generalizations without much first hand experience with some top flight tube amps.
wink.gif

May 22, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #167 of 208
You should show us some picture of all this audio gear going through the paces!  We are audiophile junkies after all...............
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 23, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #178 of 208
Would need a smaller head to go back to the mafia :D  The O2 just barely reached the bottom of my ears and as you can imagine... pulled down on the top of my head like crazy.  009 looks different but its a big number to eat if they don't fit.  For reference, I can't use AKGs either for the same reason.

May 31, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #179 of 208
LCD-3 is in and I'll be using it casually over the next couple of days and likely run the compare Monday.  Right away, the pads are just brilliant.  As for sound... not really giving a wow moment.  Not giving an ugh either so we'll see err hear :wink:

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #180 of 208
LCD-2 Rev 2 v LCD-3 RMA Day 1...

Finished Day 1 of my compare for what its worth.  Audeze sent this pair of LCD-3 back after RMA with non matched drivers /facepalm  The right side is 2dB quieter so no surprise everything is pulled to the left making a rather annoying centre image.

Ignoring that the LCD-3 seems to have a deep U eq.  The very end of extension is tipped up slightly.  Bass is deeper but less driven, treble is top focused swinging the tone slightly.  So far I also find it to have slightly less speed and detail compared to the Rev2.  Was most obvious in Hero of War where the guitar notes were blended in comparison, fuller, more withdrawn instead of what it is... recorded at point blank.  That said it stages slightly better making it more forgiving of wall of sound tunes.  The speed and lower mid bass affects PRaT negatively though so Float On was just wrong and not engaging.

Cutting to the chase.  The two differ in flavour and trade blows on technicalities so far.  The LCD-2 Rev2 is quicker, more driven, laser focused and stages well.  The LCD-3 RMA seems targeted at audiophiles looking for "musicality" which to me has always been code for slightly removed, with a goal of being in the audience and not the recording.  It more closely mimics speakers which some like but I do not.

To be fair, I need to get the right driver replaced for it to be a fair comparison but not sure I won't go ahead with Day 2 anyway before sending them off to Audeze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back