WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
May 7, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #346 of 2,600
Quote:
I just got mine today and I've been listening to it, but I noticed that the impedance switch on the back doesn't seem to increase or decrease the volume as expected, at least nothing like how the Pico Headamp's impedance switch does. Anyone else experience the same thing?

The volume level change is quite subtle. But it does the job, as the headphones sound different.

May 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #348 of 2,600
Got my WA7 yesterday, too late to do anymore than setup and give it a cursory listen (it is truly a drop-dead cool looking amp). I now have a bit over 3 hours on it with Q701 and Grado RS1i. It is amazing how good the Grados sound! I have not heard bass like this with them using any other amp, including my Bellari tube amp which I love! I'm not ready to give a detailed review yet but I can already tell this is a keeper. 

gs1000.gif

May 8, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #349 of 2,600
Mine flew to Hong Kong almost one month ago.  I was too busy playing with my DIY amp (a cloned EAR+ HD super) and the 47 lab  model 0147.  Please do not comment on my DIY skill, I almost started  fire on both amp in different ways.  

A few brief listening sections with the WA7 only, I found myself prefer the original tubes rather than the upgrade EH tubes.  What is the comment on those tube?  I use Grado phones (magnum mod SR325 and RS1) only.  Any review on the two different tubes?

May 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #350 of 2,600
Mine flew to Hong Kong almost one month ago.  I was too busy playing with my DIY amp (a cloned EAR+ HD super) and the 47 lab  model 0147.  Please do not comment on my DIY skill, I almost started  fire on both amp in different ways.  

A few brief listening sections with the WA7 only, I found myself prefer the original tubes rather than the upgrade EH tubes.  What is the comment on those tube?  I use Grado phones (magnum mod SR325 and RS1) only.  Any review on the two different tubes?

I am also wondering about the upgrade tubes-I ordered a pair with the amp but have not received them yet (currently on backorder).

May 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #351 of 2,600
check out the original post on this thread. I reviewed all the tubes i could find and afford at the time for this amp (3 sets). To my ears the EH tubes were best via a range if fischer audio headphones, DT770, t50rp, and HP100.

May 9, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #352 of 2,600
I've had my WA7 for a few days now.  Today I listened to the SACD release of Miles Davis' Someday My Prince Will Come (Teo) paired with my Q701 and my heart felt like it skipped a beat.  I can't wait to let my friends hear this.

May 10, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #353 of 2,600
check out the original post on this thread. I reviewed all the tubes i could find and afford at the time for this amp (3 sets). To my ears the EH tubes were best via a range if fischer audio headphones, DT770, t50rp, and HP100.

After reading your review (and others) on the stock & upgrade tubes I'm even more anxious to try 'em. Thanks!

I've had my WA7 for a few days now.  Today I listened to the SACD release of Miles Davis' Someday My Prince Will Come (Teo) paired with my Q701 and my heart felt like it skipped a beat.  I can't wait to let my friends hear this.

I've been listening to some of my favorite small group jazz also - this amp makes my Grados sing like never before!

May 13, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #357 of 2,600
The slight mellowness of the stock tubes will be most pleasant with brighter cans, so the match with Grado is no surprise. The upgrade tubes I liked with my LCD-3s as they are less mellow. 

Regarding USB by the way: The DAC is bus-powered, so rather than worrying about cables, consider one of the many high-quality USB power supplies instead (Aurorasound, iFi, Vaunix or others). That will make an unquestionable difference. A well-shielded cable made to spec isn't a bad idea though, but Belkin Gold should do for that (and yes, I have fancy USB cables here).

May 14, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #358 of 2,600
Listening right now to HD800 on WA7. The HD800 aren't finicky, they are ruthlessly accurate. They reveal all upstream for better or worse. WA7 is close to uncolored but with that tube midrange magic. For my ears the HD800 pairs well with the WA7. If I was restricted to only this combination I could live with it very well and be happy, thank-you. I tend to like the HD800 a little better on a WA3+ with a Tung-Sol 5998 power tube. That is a magical experience all its own. I also spend more time with a T90 paired with the WA7, one of the best combinations for recreational listening to my ears. Violectric V800 DAC upstream completes the system for me. I think the stock 6c45pi tubes perform well with both the HD800 and T90.

May 14, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #359 of 2,600
Quote:
Anyone paired the WA7 with Sennheiser hd800? Considering buying a pair but the hd800 is finicky with amps and I'd love some input.

I'm sure the HD800 can rise to greater heights with some much more expensive gear, but the WA7 is certainly capable of driving them very well. I haven't heard headphones that sound better with this amp. 

May 14, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #360 of 2,600
I owned this amp for few months, and I only realized that this amp is totally unpaired with Q701. I am not a big fan with classical music, and I think the human sound in pop music is just terrible. 1 month ago I purchased the Electro Harmonix 6C45 Gold Plated Pinsmatched pair tubes. The sound is better than the original tubes, but still ,the human sound is drowned in other sounds although it sounds warmer and a little closer to ear. Overall, This is a great amp for classical music, but I will never use this amp to listen any songs other than classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back