WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Aug 31, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #2,581 of 2,601
I'm thinking hard about buying these and replacing my NFB 11.28 - Although i have never used a tube amp in my life. Anyone here that uses the amp also plays video games while using them? If so how are they from a standard non tube amp/dac?

Mar 24, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #2,583 of 2,601
Sorry for posting in an old thread, but just ordered a wa7 fireflies 2nd gen (SS PSU, Tube variety was out of stock)
I will be pairing with a topping D70s MQA Dac... primarily to drive my heddphone and hd800s. Might try the wa7’s inbuilt dac

First time tube amp venture.
Fingers crossed it will plug this audiophilia rabbit hole ...

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #2,584 of 2,601
I am glad to see some action on this thread. It is a great amp setup and should pair well with your HD800's. The inbuilt DAC is nothing special and does not really suit the Amp section. I have the first gen DAC, which comes off as thin and harsh at the same time.

It is a nice first tube amp, because tube rolling is kept to a minimum in the amp, but the TPsupply can keep you entertained for a long time.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and experience once you get some time on the setup!

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #2,585 of 2,601
Sorry for posting in an old thread, but just ordered a wa7 fireflies 2nd gen (SS PSU, Tube variety was out of stock)
I will be pairing with a topping D70s MQA Dac... primarily to drive my heddphone and hd800s. Might try the wa7’s inbuilt dac

First time tube amp venture.
Fingers crossed it will plug this audiophilia rabbit hole ...
Without the tube PS you’ll not get the full body...try to get one...built in DAC is great and very nice power. Only sold mine because I needed a lot more headroom.

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #2,586 of 2,601
Without the tube PS you’ll not get the full body...try to get one...built in DAC is great and very nice power. Only sold mine because I needed a lot more headroom.
‘A lot more headroom’.. I am not sure I understand. Was the wa7 inadequate for your needs ?

I might get the tube PSU later down the road, since it seems that’s where the tube action is at when it comes to the wa7. But first, let me see if I even like this tube thingie...

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #2,591 of 2,601
Ok I am liking wa7 2nd gen already ...will pair with D70s later.
Might go down the tube psu later down the road and call it done for a while...

tubes have brought some old tracks back to life.

Sep 22, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #2,593 of 2,601
What do gen 2 owners think of the new gen 3? https://wooaudio.com/amplifiers/wa7-3rd-generation
Anyone thinking it's worth the upgrade? Personally, I'm thinking not. I have resisted upgrading to a better amp primarily because I love the look of this one so much. Especially the amp and the ps together, but now they are combined into one box in gen3, which still looks good, but not as much as gen2 in my opinion. I don't even care so much for the dac as I have already upgraded that to a Bifrost. Is the real draw for the gen3 just the balanced output? Curious what others think of it. Amp image 2.jpg

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #2,594 of 2,601
What do gen 2 owners think of the new gen 3? https://wooaudio.com/amplifiers/wa7-3rd-generation
Anyone thinking it's worth the upgrade? Personally, I'm thinking not. I have resisted upgrading to a better amp primarily because I love the look of this one so much. Especially the amp and the ps together, but now they are combined into one box in gen3, which still looks good, but not as much as gen2 in my opinion. I don't even care so much for the dac as I have already upgraded that to a Bifrost. Is the real draw for the gen3 just the balanced output? Curious what others think of it.

What do you mean gen 2 looks better… they look exactly the same. It’s just 1 box instead of 2…

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #2,595 of 2,601
What do you mean gen 2 looks better… they look exactly the same. It’s just 1 box instead of 2…
Yeah, I guess that's basically it I like the two boxes. Not many manufacturers make their PS look as good/match the device itself. More often they are an after thought. That and the LED, which I don't prefer. Again, just personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back