WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Apr 12, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #2,552 of 2,601
Anyone have experience upgrading to an external DAC paired with the 2nd gen WA7? Thinking about one, mostly because I'm addicted to gear and have no self control. Show me what you got!

Personally, I've use the WA7 with a few external DAC's including the chord mojo, and I like the internal DAC better (2nd gen). It has more detail, and an overall better more cleaner sound compared to the mojo>WA7. Its a very capable sabre DAC. Although the cables I used from mojo>WA7 (and other DAC's>WA7) were the cheapest ones available, I don't know if that was a limiting factor. But after a lot of testing, I prefer to use the internal 2nd gen DAC.

Apr 23, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #2,554 of 2,601
Upgraded to gold plated Electroharmonix tubes from Woo Audio. Paired with SMSL SU8 DAC, this allows for a remote volume control option. Here's to the next 6 years with this amp!

IMG_1484.jpg

Apr 23, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #2,557 of 2,601
Upgraded to gold plated Electroharmonix tubes from Woo Audio. Paired with SMSL SU8 DAC, this allows for a remote volume control option. Here's to the next 6 years with this amp!

IMG_1484.jpg
Nice choice. I too use the SMSL SU-8 after my WA7 USB DAC failed, it can also supply a balanced output to my Loxjie P20 fully balanced tube amp. The SU-8 allows remote volume adjustment as well as a nice readout for the bit rate among other selections.

Apr 25, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #2,559 of 2,601
I just upgraded the amp tubes to the Electro Harmonix gold pin and the WA7tp power supply tubes to the RCA clear tops and I'm really liking the combo. Everything seems to have a bit more air and clarity. Keeping the stock as backups. I'm so pleased with this DAC/Amp I never have the urge to look for any others.

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #2,560 of 2,601
I just upgraded the amp tubes to the Electro Harmonix gold pin and the WA7tp power supply tubes to the RCA clear tops and I'm really liking the combo. Everything seems to have a bit more air and clarity. Keeping the stock as backups. I'm so pleased with this DAC/Amp I never have the urge to look for any others.
Me too. It’s amazing.

Apr 25, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #2,562 of 2,601
So...I went for it. Sent in my WA7 for the DAC upgrade. Given that I’ve gone for all the tube upgrades, I might as well go all the way. This can free up my SU8 for a THX 789 down the line. Can’t wait to hear the results!
You do realize the SU8 has the same DAC chip as the WA7 upgrade, Will be interested to hear if you find a notable difference. The SU8 can provide output to both the WA7 SE and balanced to the THX 789 (which really isn't balanced I/O) at the same time.

Apr 25, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #2,563 of 2,601
You do realize the SU8 has the same DAC chip as the WA7 upgrade, Will be interested to hear if you find a notable difference. The SU8 can provide output to both the WA7 SE and balanced to the THX 789 (which really isn't balanced I/O) at the same time.

yep, I fully realize that. In fact, the SU8 has a superior DAC chipset as it’s balanced and contains the 9038Q2M chipset. In fact, the SU8 is widely favored in the objectivist crowd due to its excellent measurements (see Amir’s review of it). The WA7 has the older 9018, and on paper is vastly inferior compared to the SU8.

The RCA connection were proving an issue as I was getting some minor feedback at higher volumes. When switching to Woo’s internal DAC I wasn’t getting such issues, even pushing past 3 o’clock. In addition, I want better performance as an internal DAC benefits from a shorter signal path. I am curious to hear the best version of the WA7 without any compromises.

edit: Yes, I changed out RCA cables (ordered new pair off Amazon) and DAC to test.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #2,564 of 2,601
Just purchased a pair of Sylvania JAN 5814A tubes on ebay, they arrived and after plugging them in to the amp, Im not getting any sound. Has anyone dealt with a problem like this before? Are my tubes DOA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back