WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Feb 5, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #1,771 of 2,600
  Long-time lurker here.
Just got my new setup running:

WA7d amp with Electro Harmonix 6C45 Gold Plated tubes
WA7tp power supply with Mullard CV4003 tubes

My first tube setup. The sound is absolutely brilliant. New dimension, new approach to music compared to my Burson Conductor.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I don't post often but this thread really helped me make the tube jump.
Will post impressions of the WA7 with different cans if some are interested.

Also, some mentioned that the DAC of the WA7 might not be the best on the planet, would I hear a difference if I feed this unit through the DAC of the Conductor?

Congrats on your new Woo looks just beautiful..

I got a ton of extra sets of new gold pin tubes incase mine burn out and would be glad to sell you a set if you need them, pm me.

Thank you..

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #1,772 of 2,600
  @mikemercer : yes the original Conductor! The built-in DAC is supposed to be very good and integration flawless as always with Burson, I shall try out of curiosity...But for the moment I am still in the early progress of getting acquainted with the WA7...

I think one has to post some impressions, so here goes, with a bit of background first. Sorry for the length, but I feel that in order to describe what I feel with the WA7, I must highlight where I come from, sonically speaking...

I am pretty new to this hobby. I discovered the head-fi world in 2012 with the Shure SRH440 at the time, then SRH1840, then I decided to make the real jump and got the LCD-3 (original non-Fazored).
In parallel I slowly moved the ladder of sound card / amp / DAC, and got for some reason on the way interested in the electrostatic sound. All of which that leads me today to be the happy owner of one Conductor, one Soloist, one Stax SRM-323s amp and the corresponding LCD-3, LCD-XC, and SR-507 cans.

All of these are amazing products that generate exquisite music, with my special personal preference going for the LCD-3. But I was also mesmerized by the ghostly, aerial presentation of the Stax. Dreaming of a phone that could have some, if not all, of the qualities of an electrostat and a planar in one package, I was pretty excited to read about such a combination of sound being mentioned in reviews for the HE-560. A week later, while shopping for something totally unrelated in an audio store, I stumbled upon said HE-560, and impulse-bought it. My flawless logic then led me to be deeply convinced that, since I was again burning money on head-fi, I might as well finish the job properly and finally welcome tubes in my sound life.

A week of head-fi reading later, I had my sights locked on the WA7d + tp duo, mainly because of its looks. No: almost exclusively because of it looks. Sure, it had pretty good reviews, but I honestly didn't really read them. I mean: it was from Woo Audio, and it was, if not expensive in hi-fi terms, at least un-cheap. These two guarantees were the only backing I needed to cave in, given the overwhelming power of the fact that these are maybe the cutest pieces of Hi-Fi I have ever seen. Correlated bonus: extremely high WAF.

In the process of reading about the WA7 on head-fi, I learned about the concept of tube rolling, decided it was the bomb, and in utter - and a bit stupid - blindness ordered Gold Plated tubes for the amp, and those RAF Mullards for the power supply, which seemed to be - at least for several days - the endgame for the tp.

But I had to wait for the Woo for at least a week to begin my tube voyage, so I had a bit of time to play with my impulsively acquired HE-560. I still had after all some good old solid-state sound amping at my disposal. And after trying them out, I was really pleased with their sound when fed by my Conductor. They perform brilliantly, and, to my infinite satisfaction, exactly as expected. This combination is not the point of this write-up (what is?...) but the HE-560 with the Burson offers what I can describe as electrostatic-like precision and speed, coupled with the tactility of a planar. Since the phones were fed by three amps from the same source, I kept switching live between SR-507, LCD-3 and HE-560, and after some semi-serious listening, decided to sonically position Chinese as an almost perfect trade-off between Japanese and American. 

So... all this long introduction to basically say that I had already dreamt about, and a probably a bit conceptualized, the sound of the HE-560 on an upgraded WA7d/tp setup. I was for me some kind of tube-lushy electroplanar heaven.

Then the Woo pair finally arrived at my place, got eagerly setup by my trembling hands, and saw the replacement tubes plugged in immediately, without the stock ones being given more than a glance. At last my dream setup was ready to bestow to my ears the truth.

One little hour proved enough to make it painfully obvious: the WA7d/tp + HE-560 combo was...OK.

Pains me to say it, but to my ears, it was OK. Of course, here, OK means already pretty incredible relative to anything other than at least "summit mid-fi". But still, given the reviews of the WA7, of the HE-560, given the raving about these British Royal Air Force tubes, given, given... It was just OK. I was under the utterly horrible and as utterly immediate impression of disappointment. It didn't live to my expectations, and I knew - knew - that no, in time, it never will. I don't believe in burn-in anyway.

It was just a less than optimal pairing. Instead of an expected just right amount of vitality added to the spectral electrostatic-like sound in the upper medium and treble regions of the HE-560, alongside - of course - a killer bass giving both impact and depth, and all coming together magically to bring me to audio heaven, I obtained what I can describe as a fast but dry, analytical and even at times aggressive sound. The HE-560 kicks and beats and transients and sparkles in all the right spots, but it all seems a bit too digitalized. The sound was still enjoyable, just not at the level I had imaged it would reside. Maybe it was the tube combination, but it just didn't feel right to my ears.

My glorious but useless plan having been, in the course of one listening hour, thrown out of the window, I had to improvise. Preferably fast: buyer's remorse could strike me at any moment. Luckily, the thought process didn't take long: I got up and went for my LCD-3.

Utterly ignorant of what to expect, I plugged the Audeze in the Woo, fired up the Very Best of Supertramp in FLAC, and listened.

Three hours from this moment I can now safely say that I wasn't prepared for this.

I must have heard the Supertramp compilation at least 40 times, and tend to think I know the songs by heart. This, given the relative musical richness of Supertramp, makes for a good comparison point.

But in all honesty I don't think there is much comparison. As much as I love the rest of my gear, I seriously am at a loss of words to describe the increase in overall realism offered by the Woo setup to the LCD-3. As I said I didn't try the stock tubes (both for the amp and the power supply) but I will certainly at some point, in order to determine the impact of the EH / Mullard tubes, i.e. how much do they bring compared to the "basic" WA7d + WA7tp setup. However, in their upgraded state, the Woo boxes send to the LCD what I can only describe as a fuller, more coherent, more natural version of basically every song of Supertramp I ever heard, and probably every other musical piece that I know of.

Incidentally, detail retrieval its stepped up a notch, which in all honesty I find strange, given what I thought I knew about tube amps in general and the DAC part of the WA7 in particular. I do get more detail when using my LCD-3 with this setup than with the Conductor as DAC / amp. It's a run-down cliché but in these really, really familiar songs of Supertramp, I heard details I never knew were there. However, as much as this comment is to be expected when moving from say a Macbook jack port to a any successful $300 DAC / amp, I was truly astonished to realize it with a highly regarded $2000 setup as reference.

I said the sound was more natural, this is also a cliché but again - cannot find another word. Everything is just more defined, precise, has its place, its natural space. Soundstage is not only wide but seems also "realistically populated". Voice sing, I mean sing, there do not seem like signals trying, even if with great skill, to pass as voices. The general consistency of the sound was a shock to me. The crazily accurate mids, the intricately detailed highs, and the simply unreal bass...everything has just gone up a notch in terms of realism. A big, big notch. The sound coming from the LCD-3 was for the first time not the result of some really, really good digital-then-analogue reproduction of music, but just music. This step is for me enormous.

I seriously don't know what happens with this particular setup. For the sake of it, I tried the LCD-XC on the WA7 and it wasn't really the same. It was still excellent, but not quite the same. Unfortunately, don't have the X or the 3F to try them out too...

All in all, this long story closes to an end, with what I see as an unexplainable yet dramatically obvious conclusion: there is magic going on with a WA7tp with some Mullard tubes in it connected to a WA7d with some EH Gold tubes in it connected to a LCD-3 classic. I seriously cannot stress that point enough.

And I would be more than delighted to hear others' impressions with this setup, because I think it might be losing it a bit here...

I really enjoyed your impressions on the WA7 very nice detail to your words, I also like the Woo with my lcd cans they match nicely thanks for the post..

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #1,773 of 2,600
Pairing my LCD 2.2 nf with my WA7 made me stop spending for the last year+.  I listened to 2.2 fazors on the WA7 and didn't like it quite as much, though it was very, very good but I just felt like the bass was less extended on the fazors even though the top end was a bit cleaner sounding.  I wish I could get my hands on some non-fazor LCD-3 so I can have a listen with my WA7 but those are hard to find now and I don't know anyone in my area who has a pair.

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #1,774 of 2,600
a bit disappointing to hear the he560 + wa7 combo was not to ur satisfaction as that wld be my primary pairing. not totally unsurprising though based on the wa7 power specs i have seen. guess i will need to wait & see

Feb 6, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #1,775 of 2,600
FWIW, I did a short (+- 1.5 hours) audition with HE-560 and WA7 (stock, no TP), and didn't came away particularly impressed either. Especially the high-end bothered me on that combo (too aggressive). Caveat : a) Didn't know about the pad differences at that time, focus-A pads can probably mitigate, I don't know which pads where used b) They only had a couple of hours on them c) This was after getting acquainted with LCD-X/3.  

@zeloutre: I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the LCD3 conductor setup vs WA7. I have my reservations on the WA7 - LCD3F pairing at the moment, especially after hearing them driven by a Ragnarok and a Leben CS300 (different price range of course!). Main reservations are w.r.t. extent of soundstage, bass slam and extension, and the WA7 combo being too laid back (for me). I can't comment on value/money as I don't have enough experience with other amps, just that there is room for improvement as far as I am concerned. 

Feb 6, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #1,776 of 2,600
FWIW, I did a short (+- 1.5 hours) audition with HE-560 and WA7 (stock, no TP), and didn't came away particularly impressed either. Especially the high-end bothered me on that combo (too aggressive). Caveat : a) Didn't know about the pad differences at that time, focus-A pads can probably mitigate, I don't know which pads where used b) They only had a couple of hours on them c) This was after getting acquainted with LCD-X/3.  

@zeloutre: I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the LCD3 conductor setup vs WA7. I have my reservations on the WA7 - LCD3F pairing at the moment, especially after hearing them driven by a Ragnarok and a Leben CS300 (different price range of course!). Main reservations are w.r.t. extent of soundstage, bass slam and extension, and the WA7 combo being too laid back (for me). I can't comment on value/money as I don't have enough experience with other amps, just that there is room for improvement as far as I am concerned. 

First give both headphones and amp's tubes at least 100 hours of burn in then judge what you hear

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #1,778 of 2,600
@Mercer  sorry for the delay on your WA7tp order.   Should be able to ship yours next week.

Then Mike will say even better with a Nordost cable. 
tongue.gif

dL

@dL. I recommend you to give the Nordost cable a try.  A word of warning though.  You can't unhear it.  My first taste of Nordost was with @Mercer.  He leant me his Heimdall2 RCA cable and said just try these for a week.  Mind you, I was using MIT cable which are not cheap stuff.  Changed life.....  I blame Mercer for getting me hooked.

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #1,779 of 2,600
I agree the Nordost cables are very fine indeed and i'm tempted on getting some for my lcd's..

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #1,780 of 2,600
  I agree the Nordost cables are very fine indeed and i'm tempted on getting some for my lcd's..

they are fantastic w/ my LCDs!!
The ONLY cables I currently prefer to the Heimdall 2s on my LCDs are:

Double Helix Comp4
Double Helix Molecule Xtreme

my good friend Rebekah (she LOVES Audeze cans) also dug the Heimdall 2s w/ em
and she's got a terrific ear for this stuff...

The DHC Comp4 is just a GRAND pairing w/ the Audezes and WA7!!

and the Double Helix Molecule Xtreme - WHOAH!!!

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #1,781 of 2,600
Lol that looks good got to give them a shot for myself..

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #1,782 of 2,600
Beautiful looking cables - Wow that Nordost Heimdall cable costs almost as much as the LCD-2.   I'm yet to hear an aftermarket cable for the LCD-2s but I am very interested to after the excellent reviews.  I'm wondering how dramatic the sound difference would be vs putting that $800 towards upgrading to the LCD-3s  or to a new DAC for the WA7?

Jeb. 

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #1,784 of 2,600
Here's a site with cables a lot more affordable  --> http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/ 
They have some very cool designs..

Feb 12, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #1,785 of 2,600
Need some advice -- Before I sell my unopened Dacmini CX (which I do not want to open unless it is worth it), do you think the dac is enough of an upgrade over the WA7 dac to warrant keeping? My other option on the table is a magni 2 uber which would allow me get some cash for the Dacmini but I would only go that route if that magni is a better dac than the WA7.

The idea is to sell some gear to put towards HD800/T1 but I will keep the dacmini (or purchase a different cheaper dac) if it makes sense.

I would be using the WA7 with Grado RS1i, DT770 600 Ohms, and HD800 or T1 (undecided).

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back