WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Jan 31, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #1,727 of 2,600
Hello,

So I tried plugging in my desktop speakers for the first time into the WA7 and I can't get much volume out of them.  Is this normal?  They're two small desktop speakers.  I maxed the volume settings on my computer.

Setup is: PC > WA7 (usb) > Speakers into RCA jacks

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #1,728 of 2,600
  Hello,

So I tried plugging in my desktop speakers for the first time into the WA7 and I can't get much volume out of them.  Is this normal?  They're two small desktop speakers.  I maxed the volume settings on my computer.

yes that is normal. the woo wa7 is HEADPHONE amplifiers, so they will not provide enough power out to speakers that require more power. some amplifiers have pre-amp outs for external speakers or more power and that would be better suited for that specific need.

the woo wa7 only has a max power output of 1 watt at 32ohms (not the same number as the root means square power RMS power which demonstrates real-life average continuous electrical power). maximum power is simply the highest power that that the amplifier may reach.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #1,729 of 2,600
  yes that is normal. the woo wa7 is HEADPHONE amplifiers, so they will not provide enough power out to speakers that require more power. some amplifiers have pre-amp outs for external speakers or more power and that would be better suited for that specific need.

the woo wa7 only has a max power output of 1 watt at 32ohms (not the same number has the root means square power which demonstrates real-life average continuous electrical power). maximum power is simply the highest power that that the amplifier may reach.

Thanks.  That's what I figured but just wanted confirmation.

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #1,730 of 2,600
money4me247 is right the WA7 was not designed as preamp you would need something like the WA2 for that feature and a pair of powered monitors..

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #1,731 of 2,600
  Hello,

WA7 is a headphone amplifier, not recommended to drive speakers.  You can however use WA7 as a DAC via the RCA output to a powered speaker.  This output is a Fixed Line Out so the volume control is handled by the powered speakers.

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #1,732 of 2,600
Anyone try some vintage Brimar's CV4003 yet I've been trying to locate some no luck yet.. 

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #1,733 of 2,600
I purchased this work of art 4 days ago, and so far It's been great, except, the sound is too laid back, I don't know if its because I haven't burned them in long enough but it's killing my love for the amplifier =[.

Will the Electro harmonix liven up the amplifiers sound signature =3?

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #1,734 of 2,600
The EH tubes made the sound a lot more dynamic and lively for me.  The WA7tp power supply improved it even more.  The difference is quite dramatic and well worth the additional investment in my opinion.

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #1,735 of 2,600
If I bypass my internal sound card's DAC using the WA7 DAC, will I lose the 3D effects in games? My sound card is in my signature (STX II) and I typically use 8 channel surround with my headphone (using its  headphone amplifier jack).

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #1,736 of 2,600
  If I bypass my internal sound card's DAC using the WA7 DAC, will I lose the 3D effects in games? My sound card is in my signature (STX II) and I typically use 8 channel surround with my headphone (using its  headphone amplifier jack).

Yes, it appears as a separate audio device in control panel.

Some advice however, dont use any of the Virtual 3D effects, unless your a really top tier CS player or something and even then only when playing CS (aka swap devices during gameplay). They all have a horrible effect on sound quality and make everything congested, a waste of the HD700s potential.

Additionally HD650/700 are 2 channel headphones 8 channels will just cause you to miss parts of the audio. 

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #1,737 of 2,600

Yes, it appears as a separate audio device in control panel.

Some advice however, dont use any of the Virtual 3D effects, unless your a really top tier CS player or something and even then only when playing CS (aka swap devices during gameplay). They all have a horrible effect on sound quality and make everything congested, a waste of the HD700s potential.

Additionally HD650/700 are 2 channel headphones 8 channels will just cause you to miss parts of the audio.

I didn't use any virtual 3D effects from the STX II, and was able to get all 8 channels working with a headphone setting. The imaging is incredible with the HD 700, much better than anything I've used before, even better than K712. I'm guessing it will bypass all the STX internal software settings when using the USB DAC?

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #1,738 of 2,600

headphones only have two channels, so there isn't really any additional benefit using 8 channel surround sound. any 3d effects would be just software processing. you can achieve similar results using free software like razer surround.

it is true that surround processing can detrimentally effect sound quality for pure music playback, so it is advised that you turn it off for music.

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #1,739 of 2,600
  I didn't use any virtual 3D effects from the STX II, and was able to get all 8 channels working with a headphone setting. The imaging is incredible with the HD 700, much better than anything I've used before, even better than K712. I'm guessing it will bypass all the STX internal software settings when using the USB DAC?

Yes, if you use USB from your PC, not sure how it would work if you go optical from Soundcard > WA7 (if it has optical cant remember).

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #1,740 of 2,600
I purchased this work of art 4 days ago, and so far It's been great, except, the sound is too laid back, I don't know if its because I haven't burned them in long enough but it's killing my love for the amplifier =[.

Will the Electro harmonix liven up the amplifiers sound signature =3?

Congrats on the purchase! Do give it some time to burn in and it should open up. :)

dL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back