WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Apr 8, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #1,186 of 2,600
hmm woo posted the tube power supply on twitter. officially calling it the WA7tp.

was hoping for more details but that looks like its it for now.

https://twitter.com/WooAudio/status/453243678962638848

at the socal meet the prototype was a push button to turn it on and off. i was hoping it'd be a turn knob to switch on and off but based on the pic, it'll be a push button still.
With the tube power supply and upgraded tubes, the WA7 will be around $1500. What other tube based amp/DAC combos are there in this price range?

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #1,188 of 2,600
I bought a WA7 a week ago. In the mean time waiting for it, I have been reading this thread. My question is about tubes. I bought the HE gold pins from Woo with the amp. That gives me two matched pair sets. I've read that theses 6c45 can last up to 9000 hours ? Someone in this thread had bought like 7-8 sets, the reasoning being that these tubes are out of production, and are going to be hard to find?

Am I safe with two sets of tubes, or should I really buy now instead of waiting a year?
If I even take the short end of the lifespan, 5000 hours, two pairs gives me 10,000 hours of listening. Let's say I listen to 4 hours a day on average, just these two pairs would last me 6.8 years.

Also, I have heard multiple people talk in this thread about NOS cryo treated tubes from tubeman.com http://tubeman.com/item452.htm, if I was to get a third pair of tubes (purely for longevity use of the WA7) would these be a good third pair to get? Or should I just stick with buying another pair of HE gold pins from Woo, (assuming I do even need another pair)? If I do end up buying another pair, am I safe to wait 1yr before buying (low on cash right now), or is the price difference in one year, to get 6c45's, really going to bite me in the arse?

Another note, I read another tid bit that tubes have a half life. So even if my tubes lasted 5000hr for example, are they going to be so weak after 2500hr of use, that I just would want to throw them away?

Thanks,
Sam

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #1,189 of 2,600
I have a weird one for you guys.  I've had the WA7 (stock tubes) paired up with my HD650 for over 2 months now, listening exclusively to this setup with the built in DAC.  Today (out of boredom) I decided to try listening the the amp running off of my Asus Xonar STX line out RCA's into the Amp.  I was very pleasantly surprised.  The soundstage increase dramatically.  I must say I like the sound quite a bit more, however the bass is a little muddier, but I'll take that for the soundstage that my ears seem to be hearing.  Am I crazy?  Could the DAC in the STX be comparable or even better than the built in DAC in the WA7?  I do not use cheap components in my PC, so wether or not this could eliminate electrical interference from the PC I'm not sure.  I do use ASIO and Foobar 2k for all playback.  I ordered the EH gold tubes from Wooaudio over a month ago, but they're still on back order.

Apr 10, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #1,192 of 2,600
  I have a weird one for you guys.  I've had the WA7 (stock tubes) paired up with my HD650 for over 2 months now, listening exclusively to this setup with the built in DAC.  Today (out of boredom) I decided to try listening the the amp running off of my Asus Xonar STX line out RCA's into the Amp.  I was very pleasantly surprised.  The soundstage increase dramatically.  I must say I like the sound quite a bit more, however the bass is a little muddier, but I'll take that for the soundstage that my ears seem to be hearing.  Am I crazy?  Could the DAC in the STX be comparable or even better than the built in DAC in the WA7?  I do not use cheap components in my PC, so wether or not this could eliminate electrical interference from the PC I'm not sure.  I do use ASIO and Foobar 2k for all playback.  I ordered the EH gold tubes from Wooaudio over a month ago, but they're still on back order.

There is no definitive right or wrong; if you prefer the sound, go for it. It seems fairly accepted that the onboard DAC, while not "bad", is a potential upgrade point for the amp. As mentioned, the soon to be released tube PSU should be a solid upgrade as well. Experimenting is part of the fun, enjoy the ride.  

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #1,194 of 2,600
 It seems fairly accepted that the onboard DAC, while not "bad", is a potential upgrade point for the amp.

Of what quality is the DAC? Would it benefit from a Modi, or is it just not as good as the amp portion would suggest?

If you want small but noticeable difference which will be just a personal preference you could go with Bifrost Uber or DacMagic Plus but if you want to go higher level you would go with Arcam irDac, for example

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #1,195 of 2,600
  Of what quality is the DAC? Would it benefit from a Modi, or is it just not as good as the amp portion would suggest?

Without digging too deep, Amos Barnett (Currawong) made some good observations about it here (about half way down the page): http://www.audio360.org/amps-dacs_a0018_review_woo_audio_wa7_fireflies.php

Having never owned or spent time with Schiit products, I can't comment on what level of DAC it would compare to. The only comparison I seem to recall is that it's about on par with an Audioquest Dragonfly (once again, other people's conclusion, not my own). Based on the comments of others who are more knowledgeable than myself, the general consensus seems to be that the WA7 is a great amp that happens to have a solid (but not amazing) internal DAC. That said, I've never felt that I personally wanted more microdetail, but perhaps ignorance is bliss. I plan to get the tube PSU and perhaps try different DAC down the road for kicks. One tweak at a time for me.

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #1,196 of 2,600
I am completely satisfied with the Dac in the Wa7.   I have previously owned a Uber Bitfrost, ALO Pan Am, and Audioengine D3 (surprisingly good) so thats what I am comparing it to.  Maybe down the road I will try another dac with it but for now its pretty darn good.  

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #1,197 of 2,600
I am completely satisfied with the Dac in the Wa7.   I have previously owned a Uber Bitfrost, ALO Pan Am, and Audioengine D3 (surprisingly good) so thats what I am comparing it to.  Maybe down the road I will try another dac with it but for now its pretty darn good.  

Strange because for most people Bifrost Uber is better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back