WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Apr 10, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #1,201 of 2,600
I will probably have to have one of those new power supplies, grrr.   Are we going to be limited to the same tubes as we use with the wa7?

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #1,203 of 2,600
Power supply uses 12AU7 tubes so their direct replacements shouldn't be a problem. I tried Jan Sylvania 5814A and PM-1 had THAT bass depth and extension so i want them now while I no longer own WA7

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #1,204 of 2,600
But new power supply with tubes can make it even better

biggrin.gif
 Indeed. The initial reports have certainly been very positive. Can't wait to try it out. 

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #1,205 of 2,600
Power supply uses 12AU7 tubes so their direct replacements shouldn't be a problem. I tried Jan Sylvania 5814A and PM-1 had THAT bass depth and extension so i want them now while I no longer own WA7

Has there Woo commented on what they'll offer directly as "upgrade" tubes for the WA7tp? Or will it just be offered with a single tube option?

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #1,208 of 2,600
I am completely satisfied with the Dac in the Wa7.   I have previously owned a Uber Bitfrost, ALO Pan Am, and Audioengine D3 (surprisingly good) so thats what I am comparing it to.  Maybe down the road I will try another dac with it but for now its pretty darn good.  
I found the internal DAC to be aggressively edgy on the trebles.

Edit:
To put in perspective, in was at a micro level, but once I focused and listening for extended periods it was nagging me, but not of an irritable nature,, more of an aggressive nature..

Although it had more life and details than my odac, I preferred the odac smoother and grander presentation.
I now have the irdac which to me is flawless clarity with not only detail but palpable sense of space.

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #1,209 of 2,600
if anyone loved the WA7 DAC a lot! just like me, then X-Sabre is the right upgrade, same sound, musical on the mids, more treble energy, and 100 times smoother , bifrost , concero these are warmer with less treble energy than the WA7 not Neutral at all compared to WA7 and X-Sabre, 

the WA7 compared to the X-Sabre is no as smooth, less treble energy but so far i got 10-20 hours on the X-Sabre and the WA7 feels slightly more musical on the female vacols, don't get me wrong the X-Sabre still does everything way better but both on the same sound sig, best DAC ever!! 

for the testing i used Pico Power amp, its very neutral <3 and its energy is super! my favorite portable amp lol in fact i am using it with my WA7 as amp depend on the mood.  

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #1,211 of 2,600
if anyone loved the WA7 DAC a lot! just like me, then X-Sabre is the right upgrade, same sound, musical on the mids, more treble energy, and 100 times smoother ...

From that post I might assume the x-sabre having more trebles as I don't recall the irdac having any attributes to point out.. Just the depth

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #1,212 of 2,600
I hope the PCU has a website link up soon I herd the difference and I was surprised.
I noticed more power in music dynamic range and bass depth..
Is their any info on it?
I believe that using the tubes for rectifiers gives the added bonus of smoother filtering and stored extra power.
You know how when you turn off a tube amp it still plays..
There is stored power in form of heat to keep those electrons going..

That's my speculation anyway..

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #1,214 of 2,600
Could you expand on what you mean by "bass depth"? Are you referring to perceived extension, control and a greater sense of dynamics? I assume you're not simply talking about bass quantity
Correct it was not quantity it was the same musical piece with a greater sense of authority in size and those other attributes..

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #1,215 of 2,600
I know this is old news. I just want to give me 2 cents of input here, in case anyone is on the fence about WA7 + Upgraded Tubes + HD800. I can't speak for the changes Cryo tubes make for other high end headphones like HiFiMan or Audeze, but I can definitively say the change is very noticeable on the HD800. The stock Sovtek run the HD800 bright, which gets fatiguing for certain genres. Now I say the Sovtek "run" the HD800 bright, what I really should be saying is, the Sovtek is the closest you're going to get the WA7 to sound like a solid state amp. The HD800 are naturally bright on amps with perfectly level frequency response (which a good solid state will give). The personal difference for me is game changing.

Now I am REALLY excited to get my Gold Pins, because the reviews say they have the same extensions the Cryos have, just better :D.

Who knows if I will ever find the mythical Cryo Gold Pins =/

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3712/13899776103_595957defc_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back